Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Somali Sheikh striped of his award

Ibtisam   

I think some of you missed the point by a mile. The issue is not about act itself, but the overall conduct of the African centre, based on what is expected of them and the role it is suppose to play.

It is a disgrace that the African centre which boasts respect for diversity as a mission statement, and prides itself in it’s understanding, tolerance of difference and variety can publicly humiliated an individual for their religious practise, particularly as Mr. Sheikh had engaged in charitable work that did not differentiate between Irish or immigrant, male or female. I cannot believe that someone would be treated in such a way, how intolerant and insulting to only merit one worthy of an award because of a handshake. He had one request,[whether that request is correct or not is besides the point] which he respectfully inquired about prior to ceremony. Especially if you consider that the organisers had previously given assurances that this would not be an issue.

Since when has abandonment of ones religious convictions been a prerequisite for asylum in Ireland? And when did World refugee day become a day of humiliation for certain communities? African centre is the last place that refugees should be discriminated and humiliated. It should cater to all refugees alike, regardless of religious practise.

How insulting that the award with his name crossed out was given to someone else, it certainly demeans the award, its value and the creditability of the African centre. I very much doubt that Mr. Sheikh or any other Muslim would want an award which comes with unspoken conditions about their beliefs and practice. :cool:

Many high profile figure, including Tony Blair and Gordon brown have managed to remain respectful when meeting with Muslims and not be offended when Muslim women do not shake hands with them [as has been the case many times] I don’t see what was so special about this presenter. :confused:

Yes it is a small issue and I can understand why some of you think the shiek should’ve kept quite, but flexibility works both ways, the majority of refugees in the UK happen to be Muslim and if the institutions that are suppose to help them, cannot be tolerant of minor things, [Do you think anyway would’ve noticed if they did not shake hands?] forget the bigger things.

Here is a quote from the African centre: “promote positive awareness about Africa, and to help to empower the African diaspora in the UK” Really?? I’m sure it is just doing THAT. It is no harm to droping them an e-mail reminding them of their responsibilities and holding them accountable for their deviation from their own mission statement.

-Lily-   

Once again people are falling over themselves with the small things. If he can't shake the lady's hand he can send someone else in his stead to accept the award for him. What's the big deal? If people are generally respectful and willing to meet you half way you can do the same.

Ibtisam   

^^How did they meet him half way dear Lily? Is that not the issue, that he made a request, which they accepted. They could've just said no and maybe someone else would've collected it for him, or he would've just gone about his business.

Cara.   

I can't believe the other woman actually accepted the award. It's not worth the clip-art it's illustrated with.

STOIC   

Ibti, I’ will not attach your explanation with the now fashionable trademark “Stuff and Nonsense”, but I think you need to get out of the seeking apology mode. This incident reminds me of a friend I used to work with long time. Out of principle this guy never once did he ever greeted the female co-workers in meetings with his hands. He always waved from distance. The co-workers get irritated at first then they let the whole thing dissolve. They could have told this guy his behavior was unacceptable in this working community, but the irritation and the anger would have been far more disturbing than the original cause it was trying to dissolve.

Ibtisam   

^^^I don't get it?? seeking apology mode? My dear I don't want an apology nor do I expect they will give another Muslim one of their worthless awards. They should stop hiding behind their nonsense about their role and purpose.

Cara lol, would you believe she did. :rolleyes:

I really don't see the point of arguing with you far too liberal bunch of lovely people. So Angui I told you all the news/ alert and what I think is the correct thing to do, ama sameh ama don't.

Goodbye.

Cara.   

People, you're getting hung up on the hand shaking part. It doesn't matter if he said he would need to take a dump on stage before accepting the award. That they told him there would be no problem, actually printed out the silly thing, crossed out his name instead of printing out another one, and then presented it to someone else without informing him beforehand. That's just daft, man.

Is it really so hard to treat other people as human beings?

Ibtisam   

^^^Thank you edo Cara. smile.gif

Even if they told him, "hell no" and printed another one off and gave it someone else, it would've been something. It just common curtsy to at least inform of their decision, if nothing else he would not have wasted his time writing an acceptance speech for an award that never came. :D

NGONGE   

Cara,

It's all wrong, unacceptable and down right patronising but it's one incident in some small African centre in the middle of nowhere. It really is not worth the half page that Ibti dedicated to it above. But, what do we know, we're just soft liberals with flowers in our hair. icon_razz.gif

Ibtisam   

Ngonge some small wrongs, in small places can set a precedent. In any case we are a small community, who do not have the skills nor organised enough to fight big campaigns and offenses against our community. Therefore they can practise on small campaigns such as this.

On a serious note, I think all wrongs should be addressed, regardless of its size and importance. that half page was your fault, with your stuff and nonsense precedent and followers. icon_razz.gif

Cara.   

Ngonge, since when did SOL pages become such a premium? Between your avowals of boredom, Abtigiis' impending story about a man and his unorthodox attachment to a goat with really long eyelashes, and the Troll Corner, I was under the impression a little righteous Ibti anger would allow us to justify our participation in all the REAL nonsense icon_razz.gif

NGONGE   

^^ It is not YOUR job though. I'm sure the man and his friends can fight their own battles.

If I told you that yesterday some policeman gave me dirty looks will you start writing a complaint letter to Sir Ian Blair?

Choose your battles wisely, my dear.

Ibtisam   

^^Ngonge, no because that is based on your opinion and perception of what you though he did. But if you told me he abused you, beat you up and called you a smelly Somali, you can bet I would not only write a letter to Sir Ian Blair, help you launch a compliant, I would also turn up outside his yard with my little billboards, shouting down down :D

I send many e-mails a day, sending one more on his behalf is no skin off my nose. If I got wronged, I too would like to believe that many who do not know me or care will take 5min to send a *s***** e-mail on my behalf. :cool:

It is not a battle, it is a matter of principle.