Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Somali Sheikh striped of his award

Ibtisam   

A Muslim asylum seeker who was to have been honoured for his volunteer work was striped of his award after indicating that he would not shake hands with the woman who was to present him with the prize.

Alinoor Ahmed Sheikh, a Somali asylum seeker based in Co. Kerry, had been selected for the accolade by the judging panel of the Africa Centre’s annual World Refugee Day awards, due to his work with the Kerry Volunteer Centre and as a fundraiser for Amnesty International.

He respectfully
informed organisers prior to the ceremony that he was a practising Muslim and therefore would be unable to shake hands with the female presenter.
According to the Irish newspaper Metro Eireann, the organisers had accepted his request and had promised Sheikh that there would be
“no problem”.

However, Sheikh – who had been writing notes for his acceptance speech during the ceremony – was left stunned when another person’s name was announced as the winner. He said this treatment had left him aggrieved.

Sheikh said he does not shake hands with women on religious grounds, and instead touches his upper chest and says ‘I greet you’. Through his volunteer work, he interacted with people of many nationalities, including Irish, and both genders.

The person who won instead was accorded a certificate with the original winner’s name crossed out, and hers written above. She was not present to receive her award.

Later, Sheikh inquired as to why this happend and was told it was because he refused to shake hands.

Email the African Centre at info@africacentre.ie and respectfully voice your disapproval of their actions. This is an example of public humiliation, especially if you consider that the organisers had previously given assurances that this would not be an issue.

Sources:

Metro Eireann

The Times

Gorey Muslim Community

MPACUK

Muslims in that country should hold a ceremony and award him for his decision with more expensive award.

MEESHA KA KACA ,,,,

Castro   

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

Such a vain sheikh!--it is just a silly award from some gaalo whats the big fuss?

This sheikh reminds of cabbies in Minneapolis.

"Stuff and nonsense"®

HE should have shut his mouth before hand...walked up to the podium and accepted the award. If she then extended a hand, he should have smiled and "touched his upper chest and say ‘I greet you’".

Som@li   

Can one have a choise? why did they kick out? But he suhold be smart and not single out only ladies, but say I can't handshake anyone. lol

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

Such a vain sheikh!--it is just a silly award from some gaalo whats the big fuss?

This sheikh reminds of cabbies in Minneapolis.

"Stuff and nonsense"®
Mpls is a bad place to be these days,qaxotis are shooting one another. I just heard this dude got murdered. :(

NGONGE   

Ibtisam is a militant and all her stories are about knee-jerk reactions to perceived slurs on Muslims or trivial slights. When my brother marries her I'm going to give him a karbaash as his wedding gift. Someone needs to beat some sense into her. :D

ps

This whole thing takes away from the fact that the Sheikh is a good man that does a lot of good work. Grrrrrrrrr..

Abtigiis   

NGONGE- You always sound like the sane mind here. But I think Ibtisam's reaction is a natural reaction to the misdeeds of intolerant anti-muslims. I don't like you too liberal thinking.

NGONGE   

^^ It's a natural reaction because it depends on instinct and the first thought that comes to one's mind. It is nothing to do with me being liberal (I am a conservative at heart believe it or not); it is more to do with the unhealthy habit of taking umbrage with every perceived slur. If you keep making excuses for it and allow it to spread it starts to become a habit and turns us all into a community of imbeciles.

Fabregas   

^^u going to do his volunteer work? mise yours is all talk?

quote:instead touches his upper chest and says ‘I greet you’.

lol