Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Hambalyo to the newly elected xildhibaan

I am saddened that the NDP did not win overall in the provincial election that was held on yesterday, however I am glad our brother Feysal Xasan did win a seat for NDP.

He is a newly elected member of provincial parliament for xaafadda York Weston, the same xaafad whose federal seat is also held by another Soomaali, Axmed Xuseen, the immigration minister of Kanada. Hambalyo to the brother.

NDP Faisal Hassan wins in Toronto's York South-Weston

1.jpeg?resize=300,177&ssl=1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFNq2cmOT0KuayYOEl_ED

Faisal Hassan vowed he and his provincial NDP colleagues would hold Conservative premier-elect Doug Ford accountable at Queen’s Park to cheers from his York South-Weston supporters Thursday night.

Hassan captured 36.08 per cent of the vote (13,456 votes) compared to his opponent PC candidate Mark DeMontis, who received 32.95 per cent, while former Liberal incumbent Laura Albanese garnered  27.83 per cent of the vote. 

“Today is not the end, it’s just the beginning,” Hassan told a crowd of family, friends, neighbours and volunteers at the Mount Dennis Legion. “I love York South-Weston. Thank you to each and every one of you for giving me your trust. I’m going to work every day to represent us well.” 

Hassan said he was proud of the campaign he and his team ran. 

“We ran on a positive vision; change for the better,” he said. “We’ve given families in our community new hope.”

On the campaign trail, Hassan said he spoke to people who are struggling with the high cost of hydro; with those who have had to deal with long hospital waits.

“I met people who were going to vote NDP for the first time, who were inspired by (NDP leader) Andrea Horwath’s message,” he said.

Hassan is a former broadcaster. The local resident is also a published author who serves on the board of the Weston King Neighbourhood Centre.

DeMontis, a broadcaster and entrepreneur, was diagnosed with Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON) resulting in vision loss, but it inspired his advocacy work. He is the president of the LHON research foundation.  

Born in Taranto, Italy, Albanese was a broadcast journalist for more than two decades before entering politics. Albanese was first elected in 2007 and had been in office ever since. Last election, she garnered more than 47 per cent of the vote with almost 15,770 votes. The NDP candidate Paul Ferreira won 12,200 votes in 2014. 

During an all-candidates meeting hosted by several community groups, residents’ questions focused on what candidates – Albanese, Hassan, Green candidate Grad Murray, and Libertarian Bonnie Hu - would do, if elected, for constituents of York South-Weston. The issues that were top of mind included child care, health care, housing, jobs, and immigration - the same issues that presented themselves while candidates were canvassing, they pointed out.

Part of the provincial electoral district since 1999, York South-Weston has for the most part been a Liberal riding. Comprised of working class residents and newcomers, it encompasses the southwestern portion of the former City of North York, and a part of the old City of Toronto just north of High Park.

Xigasho

Tallaabo   

This xaafad must be crowded with maryoolay. I don't think non-Somalis would trust us with their affairs given that we are very infamous for being unable to sort out our own mess. 

4 hours ago, Tallaabo said:

This xaafad must be crowded with maryoolay. I don't think non-Somalis would trust us with their affairs given that we are very infamous for being unable to sort out our own mess. 

From what I hear, image is changing for the better. There is gang deaths, but the positive image is also big. People can separate you from back home in few short years if you are positively participating and mixing with influential people.

galbeedi   

Actually Somalis are not even 15% of the overall voters. Ahmed Huseen, the minister got strong support from the Somalis during the primaries race within  his party, but to win the district you need the vote of cross section of the residents. 

At the federal campaign, every riidding is around a hundred thousand residents. You must get the support of the other 80% residents.

Just Wait when the new generation of Somalis take the stage. Despite the bad news, there are a lot of over acheiving Somalis.

2 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Actually Somalis are not even 15% of the overall voters. Ahmed Huseen, the minister got strong support from the Somalis during the primaries race within  his party, but to win the district you need the vote of cross section of the residents. 

At the federal campaign, every riidding is around a hundred thousand residents. You must get the support of the other 80% residents.

Just Wait when the new generation of Somalis take the stage. Despite the bad news, there are a lot of over acheiving Somalis.

Is it improving as well from your part of Canada? From what I hear galbeedi Alberta is worst for bad image. In Toronto the bad image is dying down.

On 2018-06-08 at 11:10 AM, Tallaabo said:

Believe it or not, it is other communities, especially Reer Galbeedka Afrika iyo Reer Jameyka, whose votes were essentail to carry Feysal, same way they did for Axmed federally.

Soomaalis have their businesses in this district, but residential-wise they only live in a few pockets here and there, particularly Weston-Lawrence, Woolner and Falstaff. So, he wouldn't have won without others crucial support. Remember Feysal failed to win in the heavily Soomaali-settled district (Dixon - North Etobicoke) in 2015 federal elections because not many Soomaalis voted for him or even bothered to vote. I did vote for him in that election since I lived in Dixon at that time.