Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Are you willing to buy Mecca Cola ?

_38672053_300boss.jpg (Source: BBC) Coke is no longer it. Or at least it won't be if Tawfik Mathlouthi has anything to do with it.

Ultimately it is the consumer who will make the decision

Mr Mathlouthi is the French entrepreneur behind Mecca Cola, a new soft drink designed to cash in on anti-American sentiment around the world.

He hopes to make Mecca Cola the soft drink of choice for Muslims everywhere and thus push out that icon of American capitalism Coca-Cola.

It is all about combating "America's imperialism and Zionism by providing a substitute for American goods and increasing the blockade of countries boycotting American goods," Mr Mathlouthi told BBC News Online.

It is not the first time Coca-Cola has been the target of a "buy Muslim" challenge. Zamzam Cola, an Iranian drink named after a holy spring in Mecca, has won an enthusiastic reception in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain.

_38672051_150bottle.jpg Coca-Cola has dismissed Mr Mathlouthi's move, saying he had "identified a commercial opportunity which involves the exploitation in Europe of the difficult and complex situation in the Middle East".

"Ultimately it is the consumer who will make the decision," the company said in a statement.

Popular anger against the United States over its support for Israel amid the Palestinian intifada has sparked a campaign to boycott American products throughout Arab countries.

US exports to Saudi Arabia declined by more than 40% in the first three months of 2002.

Coca-Cola admits that along with other businesses, it has "felt some impact of such boycotts," though it does not elaborate.

The company insists that it is "not affiliated with any religion or ethnic group" and does not engage in politics.

Demand for bottles of Mecca Cola - which bear the slogan "No more drinking stupid, drink with commitment" - is already soaring.

Launched in France just two months ago, the drink is now being exported to Britain, Germany, Belgium, Italy and Spain.

Next week the Scandinavian countries Sweden and Denmark will join the club, Mr Mathlouthi said.

And in one month's time the drink will go on sale in the Middle East for the first time.

Mr Mathlouthi says that two million bottles, each holding 1.5 litres, have already been sold and the demand for advance orders has been phenomenal.

It is not my problem, it is the problem of the US administration. If they want to change anti-US sentiment they must change their policies and their double standards on human rights and politics

"We have orders for 16 million bottles and in England alone orders for two million bottles a month," Mr Mathlouthi said.

The first businesses to sell Mecca Cola were what Mr Mathlouthi described as "small ethnic shops in Muslim areas".

But now the drink can be found on the shelves of large cash and carry supermarkets in France, Belgium and Germany.

One of the main attractions for buyers, Mr Mathlouthi says, is the fact that 10% of the profits go to charities operating in Palestinian territories and 10% to European NGOs.

When asked how the company ensures that the money it provides to Palestinians does not get channelled into terrorist activities Mr Mathlouthi says the aid is never given directly as cash.

"We give help by providing clothes and goods, or by paying the costs of the construction of schools there," he said.

"If we give money we give it to Unicef," the United Nations Children's Fund, he added.

The other 10% is passed on to NGOs based in Europe who are working to promote peace around the world, he said.

Mr Mathlouthi is not concerned that his incendiary "Don't drink stupid" logo may encourage anti-American sentiment, a growing problem worldwide.

"It is not my problem, it is the problem of the US administration. If they want to change anti-US sentiment they must change their policies and their double standards on human rights and politics," he said.

Miriam1   

Salam

Ofcourse iam once he begins marketting it here in north america. My anuts over in london say it tastes just like coke.

Peace

Hey guys, first of all Mecca cola are trying to help Palestine by giving percent of their sales to the Mujahideen BUT coca cola have a big factory in Palestine so if coca cola’s sales drop in Palestine they won't need as much working force in coca cola’s factory as they need today which means less employment for Palestinian ppl :(:( , over all I don't think they should use Mecca or any other Muslim related name just for the sole use of profit making. Personally I won’t consider buying it!!!

Curly   

I've always thought it was a great idea BUT! :D And I stress but because I’ve heard a few people who actually think it's a bad idea, they believe that this would draw bad attention to Muslims, people may see this as an effort of segregation by Muslims to separate Muslims from non-Muslims and also one paranoid family member :rolleyes: suggested how this could make Muslims an easy target, they believe that the drink can be easily contaminated because they know the majority of consumers are Muslims...however crazy you may think this is, you can't dismiss the thought!

I’m all for thinking rationally but the way I try to help stop American from capitalising the world is by boycotting “Coco Cola” and any other products made by them. (there’s actually quite a few you'd be :eek: )

N.O.R.F   

I ve enjoyed the gr8 taste of qibla, just waiting to see what mekka cola has to offer, never but coke anyway, if only u know half what they stand for and half of what qibla and mekka cola stand for then u would change yr mind, for those who have posted negative on this discussion, get a tru picture before makin a judgement!

AUN   

I believe it is great idea cause we know that Coca Cola is owned by a Zionists and remember one year back they had run a campaign of solidarity with Israel in which they all gave all their profits of five days worldwide to Israel. As for Mecca since it is owned by a Muslim why not. Having said that I am not fanc Coke and I hardly drink it.

Mecca Cola was also the sponsor of the STOP THE WAR MARCH in London on 15 February 2003 in which more than 2 million people came and they made sure that everyone got at least one though most people took more than one bottle some of my friends took 3 or 4 and they were saying that it tastes better than the other one but I can not tell cause I hardly drink Cokes.

In london it Mecca Cola fever cause all people are trying to taste and I think the guy is gonna make a fortune out of this and could become one of the most known tycoons in the world if he manages his company very well

N.O.R.F   

good luck to him, i'm more of ribena person, dont like all that fizzy stuff, but would by mecca or qibla over coke or pepsi!

I think its very difficult to consume it here it the usa in public(especially at work). but it woudn't be a bad idea the rest of the world embraces it as their drink of choice.

THE BRO who named himself after the devil(shaytan). i urge you to consider changing it. since Allah's wrath is upon shaytan.

please choose a different name that doesnt go beyond the boundries of our slamic faith.

thanks in advance

Ariadne   

Will I buy it? I think not.

When you think of it it's another way of merchandising and capitalizing upon something sacred and religous. If enough people buy this chances are in the future there's gonna be more merchandise with the name Mecca slapped on it. Like the scramble to mecca board game (the first player to get to mecca and perform pilgrimage wins the game)....you see where it might lead to....

and as for coke cola ( I don't like coke to begin with anyway) :D

Nazra   

I thought this would be bit quisquilious...but it's for good use and i would abouselty try this, though "vanilla coke" is all i drink...when it comes to coke.

Is this guy, Mr Mathlouthi a muslim?