Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Come on: give us a hand

Ibtisam   

Suddenly I don’t seem to have enough time to do anything, so many things I have to do, so little time.

One of my current projects in the last few weeks is to create an active Somali organization that is aware of the current state of affairs and how the Somali community is affected by this before i leave in June. In the UK, we have so many organizations working for other communities, e.g. the Pakistan/ Bangladeshi/ Arabs. As for the Somali community they only thing I ever came across was Somali cultural centers (which basically help non English speakers fill out forms or translate for them.

How come the Somali community don’t have organizations like MCB, MAB, MPACUK (don’t get me wrong it is good these people exist, but I have worked with every single one, and they barley know Somali people exist, let alone need support).

I always knew this was the Somali communities down fall, but then every time I spoke to someone, they always had an explanation or rather an excuse should say (Somali community came after all these, we are less rich, less educated etc).

So what changed my mind, people getting arrested under the terror laws, lack of unified response from the Somali community regarding the invasion in Somalia and few other things.

To make a long story short, I decided to stop making excuses and launch an organization. I mean it can’t be that hard? Can it!

Erm where on earth do I start ( I went through my contact list and found six Somali people on their, three of them my cousins) lets just say that shocked me.

So I thought I’ll ring up other organizations and ask them to help promote, or for them to join together. My logic I don’t want anything from them, I’m not asking for money or power, all I want is 2hrs a week.

So I though I’ll create a yahoo e-group, get people to join, launch a website, publish material, create teams (an operations team, campaigns team, web team, politics team, current affairs team etc) .

Away I went, created the e-group, invited the six people I knew (to my shock only 3accepted the invitation!) I grabbed the Muslim directory, and visited 'find locals' and identified 50 organizations to contact. How hard can it be I did telesales when I was at school, at least this was for a good course right!

Wrong it was hard! Some of these organizations were not even active anymore, others had moved, and only three had an e-mail address. Of the first 10 I rang, only three picked up, one was rude (kind of what has that got to do with me attitude, one said to call back to speak to decision maker and the other said that they were a simple interest group who only worked with parents and did not want to deviate from this!)

So I came on here to pick your brains and have a rant!

What is my next step? i was thinking i need to forget about other organisations and go directly to the masses.., but how..

mantra   

Salam sis,

Your intentions are great, but im afraid you'll be in Hargeisa long before any such organization is formed. The reason Somalis don't already have such an organization, not for lack of want, is because quite simply we don't want to do anything, we're lazy and apathetic, what could be more worse?

Try this-- http://www.somalilaw.org/

Good luck!

Paragon   

Ibtisam, what you are doing is really commendable, considering the number of Somalis getting arrested under terrorism act (and also the Somali youth who now constitute the largest percentage of inmates in youth offending centres such as Feltham). In both cases, the statistics are shocking but the amount legal aid they recieve can be found wanting.

Taliban   

Originally posted by mantra:

The reason Somalis don't already have such an organization, not for lack of want, is because quite simply we don't want to do anything, we're lazy and apathetic, what could be more worse?

I think you're a bit harsh. How does it help blaming or overgeneralizing? It doesn't. Instead, if you think you know how to fix the problem(s), I am sure there are at least a few hundreds (out of tens thousands) who are active and enthusiastic about doing something to fix the problem(s), and who are willing to lend their efforts. You lead and organize the efforts and see where it leads. It's worth to study, review and learn from the mistakes of many organizations who have failed to deliver results, so to avoid mistakes. Yes, there have been many failed organizations that disintegrated, of which one of the primary reasons of failure is; the organization become a family enterprise to enrich a few closely-related individuals. It's also worth to study, review and learn from non-Somali organizations; what it takes to be as successful. My thinking is, in order for a Somali organization to have a modicum of success, it should be based on volunteerism (i.e., 2hrs a week).

Blessed   

Ibs

You live in London and only have 6 Somalis in your contact list, damn. How did you manage that?

Anyway can't help you much from my shack in the desert but if you PM me your email, I can put you in contact with people who know people.

To those in the know:

What ever happened to the Somali Coordinating Committee?

Ibtisam   

Mantra thanks I e-mailed em:

Man you are even more negative than me girl, what’s with that?

Paragon What happened to the rest of your thread? miyaad iiga laa nooqati? I was well chaffed with that :( Explain the sudden change please ?

Taliban: Ok

Kimiya:

I don't know I’ve never noticed I knew so few, I guess I never went to any functions, and at school, college, uni, I was never in the same year as a Somali.

I'll PM you my details in a moment. Thanks

mantra   

lol Ibtisam, we've been struggling to start up a Somali Society in our university, thousands of Somalis yet we get zero response from them, they could care less...heck we managed to recruit a Pakistani and a few Arabs into our society, the few farax's ive managed to chase down always complain about the two pound fee!

I've given up!

Miskin   

Ibs, There are many Somali organisations in London and infact in other parts of the country (not sure how active they are). I have heard people have already tried to unify these Somali organisations but to no avail. If i were you i wouldn't waste time in trying to unify them coz they will never br unified. Instead i would try and create one from scratch (Dont know how?). Also i think you will need a lot of help so get as many people involved as you can.

G Luck

Ibtisam   

^lool Miskeen. Damn i wanted some good news, all i got from you lot was it is a good idea, but a hopeless one! :( so far i have found 170 Somali organisations, my target is to ring 50 today :( i already feel like giving up.

Mantra, loool. I tried that at uni as well, i got three people to join, 2dropped out and the other got married. Don't you dare give up, just keep annoying them, make it free if you have to, although £2 is a good as free!

Ibtisam   

The Tv station in North London? How could they help me (i have to pay £500 for advertising they told me) and i have yet to play the Lot. Nothing is for free. :(

NGONGE   

It's in East London (Romford Road). I'm sure you can use all your charm and persuasion skills to convince them to dispense with the advertising fee. It’s for Somalia after all! If that fails you can always try to plead for their contact list (they’re likely to have the details of a few organisations).

Ibtisam   

Romford Road? really, can you send me the extact details please? I rang up (don't know if we are talking about same station, i don't know why i thought they were in north London mind you)

As for my charm and persuasion, i found out that i can only do that in english, so how i always get lost for words when i try in somali :(

Thanks for your help by the way!

NGONGE   

They seem to have disappeared from the face of the net! But I found their address and phone numbers (if they still work that is). Give it a try and see.

Shebasat

Manor Park, London E12 5JR

Tel.: 0044-208 5533 520

0044-208 9119 220

ps

Admin, I’m not trying to advertise the channel (I actually find it boring to be honest). Just trying to help our fellow Nomad here. :D

Ibtisam   

^^thanks. I called, a spoke to a very nice man who promised to get someone to call me back. Hopefully he will find that someone.

thanks again