Sign in to follow this  
Pacifist

Need Help Q to Londoners

Pacifist   

Assalamu Alaikum

I thank u all in advance

I will be visiting the uk all the month of december visiting mom inshallah

and i was wondering of doing a trip to france, italy and denmark.

I was told to do a euro rail something like that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And also if there are any tours and day trip that you know of. Something nice a can visit or see. Nice places to visit in London.

thank you

Hasna

Hope this helps.

Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Embankment, Oxford Street (shop until you drop)- getting on a tour bus is the best way to see the main attractions that london has to offer. There is a lot to do and see in london so enjoy.

Juxa   

sa wr wb,

hasna yes, help is at hand, we londoner are hospitable smile.gif

if u thinkin of visiting france, denmark and other european countries, dont buy yr tickets now. forget rail pass. there is Ryan Air and Easy jet. u can book online and the cost is really reasonable. i would say france cost about £45, u can also travel by the Eurostar. which is nice experience and u will be in paris within 3 hrs. it cost about £60.

sightseeing in london, i suggest best way is with friends, i dont recommend the tour buses, there are hustlers, so pls be careful.

places to visit, always-learning told u about the main attractions. it depends on what u like. may i add V&A museam and TATE modern.

Faheema.   

A.L pretty much covered the places to visit in London, but if you would like to see familiar faces (Somalis) buy yourself a one day Travelcard zones 1-6 and take a trip to Xarunta Somalida AKA Southall – Doqon ma Waaye and Wembley Faarax Square, it’s the closest thing to being back home :D:D

If you’re going to Paris (France) take the Eurostar, it is relatively cheap (under £70) if you take advantage of the Youth Travel Scheme (for those under 26), otherwise book atleast 2 weeks in advance to get a cheap ticket. As for sites to visit while in Paris these places are worth checking out

*Eiffel Tower - If you feel like exercising you can do a day's climb up the tower, otherwise you better have a good camera lenses

*Champs Elysées - Shop till you drop then pose for the final photo at the end by the Arc de Triomphe de l'Etoile

*The Pei Pyramid – This is just absolutely gorgeous inside and outside, it is also the main entrance to the Musée du Louvre. I believe it’s the biggest glass pyramid in the world.

Hope that helped. ;)

HONEY-D   

hi hasna

did you say you're coming in december mark my words you won't enjoy the trip the weather is terrible and as for londoners lets just say they are not in their best mood.

LONDON

if you want to visit all the hostorical places the tour buses are the best you will get the chance to see what london has to offer. I'm not aware of the down side of this service like the above nomad said be careful.

OTHER european countries

You can use train/plane/cruise it depends on you budget and how much you're willing to spend.

NGONGE   

DO NOT TAKE THE TOUR BUS IN DECEMBER! If you do, make sure you sit in the lower deck.

The easiest way to do things is if you visit the tourist office in the Airport you land in. Pick up a few leaflets and magazines that will tell you and give you instructions on how to find the best places in London. Alternatively, you could ask your family to take you there. By the way, why limit yourself to London? Go touring in the whole of the UK.

Alas, as the brother above said, London is not the liveliest of places in December.

HONEY-D   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Alas, as the brother above said, London is not the liveliest of places in December.

someone needs cup of strong Black coffee with no sugar i thought the name BINHAM was self-explanatory. :confused:

Any time can be an exciting time to be in London. U just have to know what's happening where.

Shopping

Xmas fever will be the symptom of November and December. Wait until the 26th/27th of December and then hit the shops in Oxford Street. Go early too- u'll find the best bargains. U won't believe how early the shop Next opens- some ridiculous rooster hour. But that's to yr benefit.

Tour

By all means, do a tour of London. If u get wet, it's all part of the English experience, enjoy it. Consider a night river cruise down the Thames too.

People and food: observe the people and stuff yrself silly with their food.

Edgware Road: Arabs, shawarma, felafel etc and the dreaded sheesha.

Whitechapel(east): Bangladeshis and Somalis. Brick Lane gets trendier by the day. Walk the down the street and wait for the touts to approach u with their restuarant's latest offer or get a recommendation beforehand.

Southall(west): Punjabis and Somalis(can't escape them :)). A little piece of India. Spicy food, kitch accessories and Bollywood. What more do u want?

Camden: the market and London Zoo.

Leicester Square/Covent Garden(central): touristy but what the heck. If the weather gets too bad, head indoors and watch a foreign film at the Curzon cinema- there's one on Shaftesbury Avenue. Walk through China Town.

Parks: cold, bleak and beautiful. Try Hampstead Heath or Regent's Park.

Museums: most of them are free now. Tate, V&A and Natural History Museum are my favourites.

I'm sure there's more but for now..

try: www.toptable.co.uk for restaurants offering discounts and special offers- book online- and www.thisislondon.co.uk for all things London.

London is a great place to get cheap tickets to Europe. Make sure the airport u're arriving at isn't too far off from the centre of the city though. U can't go wrong with Paris and Barcelona although some of the Eastern countries are appearing on the map of 'the places to be'- Croatia?. Both Turkey and Tunisia aren't that far off either. Why not mix yr trip to the West with a little East?

That's all for now. Enjoy.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

By the way, why limit yourself to London? Go touring in the whole of the UK.

Don't you know that civilisation stops at the M25? smile.gif

Go check out Camden market, one of my favourite places in London. And Greenwich town centre, it's a beautiful place, the Greenwich university is simply breathtaking, and the market is always fun. Nice view of the Thames too.

Go visit the British Museum too, you can never go wrong with that. I've been there dozens of times since I moved here, and it's still as thrilling as the first time I went there.

If you go to a cafe somewhere, don't forget to order a Jacket Potatoe. It's absolutely revolting and VILE, but you can't leave England without having tasted one, if only to complain about it later. Which is another thing Londoners LOVE doing, so don't be surprised if everybody you meet if moaning about one thing or another.

Don't forget to pick up a Tube Map, you won't regret it. smile.gif

Just wanna Welcome you to this lovely Metro....here is a brief guide hope it helps

Theatre Lovers ..

London is home to over 108 theatres and music halls. On any one night there might be 300 different plays, musicals or comedies being put on across the capital. London's West End shows are amongst the best in the world.

Body Worlds

Body Worlds has been dominating the headlines, but it's not for the squeamish. Featuring anatomical and whole body parts, the aim of the exhibition is to encourage a greater appreciation of the human body. And it's fair to say it's pretty captivating! There are cross sections and whole-body specimens of healthy and diseased bodies for starters. The authenticity of the exhibits is the show's real attraction, but it's also caused some controversy, particularly the exhibits that have been turned into 'artworks'. Take it or leave it, the choice is yours!

London Venue: Atlantis Gallery, The Old Truman Brewery, 146 Brick Lane, E1

The Queen of Sheba: Treasures from Ancient Yemen

Perhaps examining the romance and mystery of the Queen of Sheba would appeal to you, this exhibition introduces the ancient civilisation of Yemen where she is thought to have orginated from. Popular stories about this mythical Queen will be presented in paintings, drawings and other objects from the period. Examples of architecture, religious iconography, dress and jewellery evoke the daily life of the region, including attitudes to death and the afterlife.

London Venue: British Museum, Great Russell Street, WC1

Tailor Made tours by private guides

Private Driver Guides are available whenever and wherever you require it. All drivers are fully qualified by the British Tourist Association. This licenses them to guide in Britain and guarantees an expert service.

Half-day tours take four hours and are an ideal way to orientate visitors. The itinerary takes you round the main sights, shops, restaurants and theatres, showing where they lie in relation to one another. Favourite stops include the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, The Tower of London, Harrods, Oxford Street and Tate Modern.

Full day tours give you a chance to dive beneath the surface of this unique city. Your guide will accompany you throughout the day, providing information, entertainment and cushioning you from the hassles of modern travel.

Uncover your own corner of London with LondonTown.com and our selection of the finest private driver guides.

Trips on River Thames

The River Thames continues to define the very essence of the capital. Since the Romans settled around the river 2000 years ago and declared the area "Londinium", to the recent millennium celebrations. A trip on the Thames is a must. Enjoy unrivalled views of Big Ben, the London Eye, the Tower of London and Tate Modern. Revel in the varied architecture - from nineteenth-century warehouses to the stunning Millennium Bridge (one of 19 principal bridges spanning over 200 years of construction).

Changing the Guard

London is steeped in over 2000 years of history and many of the capital's longest-standing traditions are still very much alive. Perhaps the epitome of London's surviving pageantry can be found in the ceremonial Changing of the Guard. A hugely popular spectacle, the Changing of the Guard takes place daily during the summer (April-July) and on alternate days for the rest of the year. There is no ticketing, so make sure you get there early.

Madame Tussaud's Waxwork Museum

Madame Tussaud's Waxwork Museum is the world famous collection of wax figures of the notable and notorious, everyone from Sigmund Freud to Madonna. Recent additions include their new interactive experiences section where you can try out as a Pop Idol, be snapped by the paparazzi, get up close and personal to serial killers and explore the galaxy. Relive David Beckham’s moment of glory as he scores against Greece to qualify in dramatic fashion for the World Cup and squeeze Brad Pitt’s beguiling biceps.

Address: Marylebone Road, NW1 5LR

Kew Gardens

At Kew Gardens, there are 300 acres containing living collections of over 40,000 varieties of plants. The Palm House is world-famous and there are other magnificent tropical, alpine and temperate houses. The Princess of Wales Conservatory recreates ten different kinds of environments, with appropriate plants in natural settings.

Address: Richmond, Surrey, TW9 3AB

Tower Bridge Experience

At the Tower Bridge Experience visitors can see one of the most famous bridges in the world and spectacular views from the high level walkways 140ft above the Thames. In the two towers, there's an exhibition which explains the history of Tower Bridge.

Address: Tower Bridge, SE1 2UP

As for touring Europe..try this page

Euro-Budget travels

And a lot more ….

I forgot to mention that you just HAVE to see the best musical ever made in human history, Les Miserables at the Queen's Theatre. Trust me, you can't leave London without seeing that.