Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Dubai to set up Prophet Mohammad Museum

Jacpher   

I don't doubt you know more about Dubai than I do and most of us here. I'm not questioning what Dubai does for its citizens and residents. That was not my argument sxb. My line of argument was more of the reasons behind a museum named after the prophet scw for the prophet. Excuse my ignorance but is there a 'Prophet Mohammad Museum' in the world or would this be the first?

Aaliyyah   

I agree w/ Jimcale a library is a good idea that is full of books that convey the prophet's live and his companions in detail. But a museum? what you gonna have there ? the prophet's pictures?...am a bit lost.

It is not good idea to have an institution where the Prophet is centre and everything about the religion serves the tourist in ancillary capicity. The emphasis should on the faith itself,and not the Man who preached It. Anything about the Prophet (PHUB) should be within the context of Islamic faith and history. The way this museum is setup, it sounds like Islam emanated from the Prophet (PBUH).

Reread that

P.S. If i'm not mistaken the overall goal here is to educate non-Muslims and perhaps Muslims about Islam, right?

^ agreed..... anything that would encourage idolization should be prevented....a museum with Islam as the central theme would be a much better idea

Aaliyyah   

I am against a islamic museum all together. what type of pictures will you portray there? remember pictures are haraam to begin with....stick with a library that is informative smile.gif

Originally posted by Northerner:

Simple question would be why not?

@ Che

Anything that puts our Prophet ahead of God and the faith mounts to idol worship. I understand our Prophet is revered figure in Islam, but anything about him should be within the context of Islamic teachings and history. It is Islam that defines the Prophet's very life and legacy, not the other way round.Any good Islamic scholar will tell you to put the faith before the Man who preached It.

LoooooooooL@Aaliyah...like the great libraries of Andulasia where Europeans came to study. The something like that would make sense.

underdog   

They should build the biggest Islamic University in the world. A center of knowledge and advancement.

But Dubai's known for a focus on white visitors...so Northerner you can see why we think a museum is another "Hey look what we can build" project.

Haneefah   

Originally posted by Jimcaale:

Excuse my ignorance but is there a 'Prophet Mohammad Museum' in the world or would this be the first?

While it may be the very first of its kind, I see no reason to be so quick to dismiss it altogether, Jimcaalow. Good innovation is needed at times!

It's a very creative and noble initiative, though it must be sought out with due diligence. Given Dubai's highly multi-cultural and multi-faith population, in addition to its tourist attracting nature, this project could potentially serve as a great medium of da'wa and tolerance.

North: Are you at all familiar with where the culamaa of the khaleeg stand on the issue? They are critical stakeholders who, I am presuming, are represented in the committee spearheading this project.

NGONGE   

Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum is a very interesting man. But I doubt this one is his idea alone. I am, of course, merely speculating here but nonetheless, I believe this to be the idea of one of his sons. The Sheikh has two grown up sons that he constantly attempts to shove into the spotlight. The first, his eldest, has the nickname of Faza' (or Fazac) in Somali. He's an accomplished poet, horse rider and administrator. Unlike many that were born with a golden spoon in their mouths, he does not sit on his laurels and enjoy counting his father's money. Rather, he tirelessly seeks new projects to involve himself in and new ideas to advance his father's vision for Dubai.

The father grew up during the height of Arab Nationalism and Nasser's Egypt. He was spoon fed the ideas of Arab Unity and the rather debatable belief that they're the best on god's earth. Therefore, it seems that the man's first and only goal for the past forty years has been one of turning himself and his city into the supreme Arab leader/city. In addition, he seems to have adopted the ancient Arab ideas of what royalty and leadership should look like! He's a poet, a horse rider and is said to know the quran by heart. Both his sons have been encouraged to follow the same path.

He spent the past forty years telling whoever would bother listen to him about his vision for the Arab and Islamic world. He spoke about creating a city in Dubai that would rival any city in the world or in history. He kept on emphasising his thirst for excellence back when Dubai was a simple city in the desert. Yet, today, it's a city known all over the world and many of his ideas and dreams have become reality! Over twenty five years ago, he argued that if the Arab world wanted to rise again and challenge the Western world it will have to work on its economy and use its money (and natural resources) as a weapon. He had a saying about politics being a cart and economy being a horse! In order to advance, he reasoned, the cart should be put before the horse. The man's ego is exceptional, narcissism unparalleled and capacity for work inimitable.

Many of his projects and ideas are, at best, naff. Many of his actions controversial and (right now) his authority as an international political figure is nonexistent. Yet, the naff projects, crazy ideas and wistful dreams are testament to the man's good intentions and plan to advance the Arab (and Muslim) world. His new buzz word these days is Excellence! This is why he recently invited the Egyptian football team to Dubai and rewarded them for winning the African Cup of Nations. He did the same when Iraq won the Asian equivalent. He also created several competitions to reward Arab scientists, poets, writers and businessmen. In addition, the Holy Quran competition that is held in Dubai during the month of Ramadan will enter its eleventh year this coming Ramadan. The number of participants will be bigger than ever and the rewards they'll get (earthly of course) from taking part will probably go much further than their own pockets (surely a kid living in a remote village in Chad and winning ten thousand dollars as a result of taking part in such a competition will not only benefit from such money but his entire village would).

The idea of creating a Museum for the Prophet (csw) makes perfect sense. In fact, it's a clever move by the government of Dubai. On the one hand, it is showing the Muslim world that it cares about the Prophet (csw) and on the other hand it is sticking two fingers up at the rest of the world and those that choose to insult the Prophet of Islam. However, rather than doing it by rioting, insulting and issuing empty threats, it chose to patronise those that insult the prophet by implying they're ignorant and are in need of educating. With Dubai's current reputation and the world's interest in all that takes place in that tiny emirate, they more than know that such news will be spread far and wide. If the museum helps to educate non-Muslims about the life and history of our Prophet, well and good. If it does not, the message will still not be lost on such people.

Now let me go back to the Sheik's sons. I choose to give the background information first before talking about his second son and the one that announced the idea of the museum. The son is called Sheik Majed. Unlike his brother who is known for being a bit of a playboy and is adored by many girls in the Gulf (not just the UAE), this one is more religious and visibly devout. He looks humble, acts humble and surrounds himself with pious people. I seriously have a strong feeling that it is he that convinced his father to go ahead with this idea (not that the father needs much convincing).

All in all, Dubai's case and vision is not about looking outwards (to the West) but rather inwards (to the Arab and Muslim world). Their goal is to eventually lead these worlds in the manner of Umayyad Damascus, Abbasid Baghdad and Ottoman Istanbul! Could they do it? Well, they argue that people once told them that they can't build an island in the Sea!

ps

Does my bias look big in this? :D

Blessed   

^LOL. I often wonder why Somalis (yes, idinka ) love to rubbish all things UAE. This could be in response to all the negative media about our beloved Messenger (saw). We know that a number of projects and organisation have been set up in the lat few weeks in honour of the Prophet (saw).. does that mean that we're mushriks or a people who really love their Messenger? Islam didn't start with Muhammed (saw) but we are the nation of Muhammed.

There are numerous Islamic Museums throughout the Muslim world, even in Makkah Al Mukkarammah. And as already stated, there’s a fabulous one on Sharjah, no pictures and no shirk but I loved visiting it and I loved seeing none Muslims having access to our rich heritage. That’s what’s it’s all about.

Secondly, there's an initiative called 'Open Doors, Open Minds' where Dubai’s residents and visitors (mainly none-Muslim) are given an opportunity to learn about Islam, visit mosques, etc. This is positive, interesting dawah. The result, a constant stream of conversions into Islam in the UAE and many people who have a deeper understanding and respect for Islam.

N.O.R.F   

Ngonge, I think you covered it all. Ready for next month?

Also, the current drive in history and culture in the ME should be mentioned. Muscat was last year’s Capital of Arab culture and its Damascus this year. I hear it will be Hargaisa next year!

Dubai has many facets apart from what you see on TV or read about. For any doubters re-read the article. All your answers are contained therein.

ps I think you meant Mayed and not Majed.

Dubai Cultural Authority