Sign in to follow this  
OLOL

Somali Diaspora's Lost Generation

OLOL   

while most of the old Somalis in The Diaspora, specially in North America are all waiting for the ruthless warlords back home to solve the Somali clan predicament and all are dreaming for the day they can all go back home, none of them asked themselves or thought about what's going on with the lives of their children who were either born or grew up in here.

They have never asked as to what's happening or not happening to their children in North America or elsewhere in the Diaspora.

As I contemplate of the future of my younger brothers and sisters who have never been to Somalia and have no profound bond or link whatsoever to their homeland other than what they hear from us, I've often felt they have been cheated by their parents and older generation. And that thought of betrayal and letdown had been distressing me lately. I feel Somali kids have been neglected and abandoned. The inecapable fact is that this alarming atrophy and neglect has now become the way of life for most families.

Somalis in The Diaspora, in particular those in North America have immersed themselves in low paying jobs and wasteful frivolous entertainment, while their children are completely lost.

Most parents work two jobs, while others spend their time moving around to collect welfare. Fathers are not at home. They are busy either driving trucks or Taxis, chewing Qat and loitering in coffee places discussing clan politics in deafening assembly.

Mothers are also not home. Some work two jobs in late shifts and others spend their time on inconsequential hearsay. Most of the mothers in North America have the reputation of being spendthrift party crashers. They squander all their income on buying jewelry and clothes.

Unfortunately, the kids are left alone to raise themselves. Sometimes the older kids are left with the task of taking care of their younger siblings, when they are unable to take good care of themselves. Yet, these outwardly apathetic parents have not contemplated to think of the gloomy future of their kids in the Diaspora. They are all somewhat in suspense mood thinking to return to Somalia while the inescapable fact is that our Somalia lays in ruins and is controlled by warlords fighting over clan dominance and some cursed “Treasure Chest†known as government.

We need to pay attention to our younger generations and educate them so they will be able to compete in this modern world of technology and science. We have to start some home work clubs. I have yet to hear of Somali kids winning scholarships to get into an Ivy League college like the Chinese and Indian kids. There was one exception though. When I read about that 16 year old Somali kid in UK going to a prestigious school, I was so excited to share his success with my younger brothers and sisters to motivate and encourage them to excel in school like him. But then, when I look the education level of Somali kids in my neighborhood it is all a different story. They don’t speak good Somali. They don’t know anything about Islam. All they excel in watching TV cartoon shows, playing video games, listening to rap music and watching BET and MTV.

I must admit, some of the kids would try and finish high school and probably enter college. They'll go for a year or two and will quit and nothing more.

in spite of this, what is ironic is that the few educated parents are working at nursing homes or factories while their children end up on the streets uneducated and lost.

I heard some Somali kids in cities like San Diego, Toronto and Minneapolis have organized themselves into gangs and are working for notorious crime bosses.

I heard from some black Americans saying that Somali kids make their counterparts in marginalized groups like Hispanics, Native Americans and Blacks, the so-called Rap “Gangsta†look-alike real cartoon characters. You know when Somalis pick up habits and customs other than their own, they go over board. Our kids have become the ghetto kings and queens.

Somali kids don't even think about the words they use when elders are around anymore. They use every profane and filthy language one can think of. Some parents are even afraid to discipline their children for the fear that the children will call the police. Contrast this with when we were growing up back home, we were disciplined by the motions of our parents' facial expression and body gestures without words or screams.

Unfortunately, the children who mean well and want to make progress don't get the necessary encouragement because their parents are not around to give them the attention they deserve.

The Somali parents don't have the time to go to their schools and speak with their teachers on their success or failures. Oh, I forgot, they work hard all of the time. But they do have time to party all night long, party till day light.

Let's wake up!our country have been taken over by ruthless warlords. It is hopeless situation out there! We will never go back! Somalia is gone and done! Let us stop fooling ourselves that there will be a miracle back home and there will be a prophet coming to give us back stable and peaceful Somalia.

Those parents who work hard in low paying jobs, becoming the modern present day slaves have to realize that the manufacturing jobs will never be there. They will be all outsourced to China and other emerging countries where there is cheap labor. Wake up and smell the coffee before it is too late. So far you have all managed to send your children to the doom of this decadent western society.

We are at least people who come from good culture to certain extent and good morale standings. Let us stop fooling around and fooling ourselves and start taking real good care of our kids. Let us pull the pants up on the bottoms of our adolescent boys; pull the tight mini skirts down to our daughters' knees and make them dress according to Islamic way.

Let us wake up! parent have to visit their children's schools, make time for their homework. As I said before those of us who are educated and successful have to give it back to the community.

Parents don't just have to tell their kids to do home work by themselves but they have to it with them, go over it and sign their name to it. So their teachers will know that the parents participated in their school work.

Please go and visit your relatives homes and pay attention to how the kids are growing up and how they are being brought up for It will be a shocking eye-opener!

J.Lee   

I heard some Somali kids in cities like San Diego, Toronto and Minneapolis have organized themselves into gangs and are working for notorious crime bosses.

The city of Seattle, my hometown, and one of the most livable cities in America, is noticeably absent, I wonder why? I guess it depends on the environment you live in as much as it does the parents, and their method of upbringing.

Here is my 1 cent;

Firstly, I believe that the Somali youth need to realize that College (Under Grad as well as Grad school) shouldn't be an Option but rather a Plan . Period. Secondly, the parents need to be more involved in their kids' schools, and programs such as the PTSA. Go to the meeting. Parents need to keep track of their kid’s classes (Grades as well), and make sure they are on, or above Par. (Can't find time my hideous foot. They have Off days. ) Also, they, the parents, should develop a relationship with the school's faculty. Especially, the Somali translator because he knows more about their kid than they do, and s/he is the first one the principal will talk to about the child. Thirdly, parents should demand and get weekly progress, and attendance reports from teachers. Fourthly, they should set expectations, and rules. If the kid doesn't meet the expectations, and breaks the rules, then they should beat him/her until s/he throws up blood. Okay maybe that is a little extreme but at least beerka waa inay ka xashiriyaan. Preferably with a Left hook. Seriously, parents should take note from Bernard Hopkins, and (without mercy) go hard to the body with their kids. (Getting hit in the liver is what dropped De La Hoya out, stone cold! and he was fighting quite valiantly for eight rounds People.)

Some parents are even afraid to discipline their children for the fear that the children will call the police.

Afraid? They should be thrilled. If the kid calls the police on their parents, they (the parents) should deport him/her. (I'm all for sending such A-holes to Africa and having multiple cousins beat him/her everyday until s/he changes skin tones)

Basically.

To the Parents. Find time for your kids'. Be more involved in your kids' school. Oh. Monitor who they befriend. Teach them about their religion. Beat them if they disobey.

To the Kids: Read, write, think, and breath (until you can't). Focus on School. Learn as much as you can. Obey your parents. Oh. Pray.

Originally posted by OLOL:

When I read about that 16 year old Somali kid in UK going to a prestigious school, I was so excited to share his success with my younger brothers and sisters to motivate and encourage them to excel in school like him. But then, when I look the education level of Somali kids in my neighborhood it is all a different story. They don’t speak good Somali. They don’t know anything about Islam. All they excel in watching TV cartoon shows, playing video games, listening to rap music and watching BET and MTV.

We are at least people who come from good culture to certain extent and good morale standings. Let us stop fooling around and fooling ourselves and start taking real good care of our kids.
Let us pull the pants up on the bottoms of our adolescent boys; pull the tight mini skirts down to our daughters' knees and make them dress according to Islamic way. Let us wake up! parent have to visit their children's schools, make time for their homework. As I said before those of us who are educated and successful have to give it back to the community.

Please go and visit your relatives homes and pay attention to how the kids are growing up and how they are being brought up for It will be a shocking eye-opener!

Well said.... smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

If you have a teenage bro or sis or know someone who has, specialy if the teenager is between (13-15 for girls) and (17-19 for boys), then these teenagers really need to be sent home, whether its in Mogadisho or In Hargeisa, it doesn't matter. Even one year that they stay there will help them discover themselves and their roots.

I know so many kids who were sent back home and when they came back, they had focus in life and they knew what they were expected of them. These were the same kids who were perhaps starting to smoke or skip schools or were in their early stage in taking the wrong path.

Ibtisam   

u old farts need to take a chill bill; :D

somali's in diaspora is the reason why people in somali eat food, and live in houses; it is easy to have a go at ppl when ur nearly retired, forgetting that the reason they are in diaspora or were born there beacuse you carried them over or had them there!! redface.gif

Castro   

^ Here's an old fart with a dozen chill pills. You couldn't have possibly been born here the way you write.

For the topic, there's even a much larger generation that is lost, namely the one in Somalia. The expats have the choice to study and work hard or become delinquents. The group in Somalia has none of these choices. I'd worry less about these spoiled brats overseas than I do of those back home. The lost ones here are being lost because of bad (or non-existent) parenting. The kid above this post has a point. You can't call it a lost generation when we're the ones who are abondoning them.

Ibtisam   

Here's an old fart with a dozen chill pills. You couldn't have possibly been born here the way you write.

For the topic, there's even a much larger generation that is lost, namely the one in Somalia. The expats have the choice to study and work hard or become delinquents. The group in Somalia has none of these choices. I'd worry less about these spoiled brats overseas than I do of those back home. The lost ones here are being lost because of bad (or non-existent) parenting. The
kid
above this post has a point. You can't call it a lost generation when we're the ones who are abondoning them.

no i wz not born "here" where ever u were refering to!!

AS for my writing i did't realise u were grading me!! but if you wanna challenge me on my engrisi we can start a thread and write essay's!! though u must wait till the summer holidays when i'm bored and nothing better to do ;)

and this is all that this "KID" has to say!!

Castro   

^ Good job atheer. You can read. Now work on that writing. And the verb is "was" not "wz". Don't make me catch a case. :D

Ibtisam   

"Don't make me catch a case"

The sentence above is grammatical incorrect. icon_razz.gif Could you please stop being childish now and refrain from hijack this important subject matter that the author of this thread was kind enough to bring our attention to.

!!! u dig mate!! :D

Castro   

^ The thread's message won't be lost if I save one kid like you from bad grammar. Reading and writing well opens doors for you. Try this exercise really quick:

Put the verb in brackets into the right tense. (Present, Past, Future Conditionals

1. You will smell if you (not change) _____________ your clothes.

2. What (you do) _____________ if you heard the alarm?

3. We'll have to walk if we (run out) _____________ of petrol here.

4. Unless you turn that music down, I (go) _____________ mad.

5. Someone (steal) _____________ your glasses if you leave them there.

6. She (not have) _____________ so many accidents if she drove more carefully.

7. If you were unemployed, what (you do) _____________ ?

8. If you shake that bottle, it (not be) _____________ fit to drink.

9. If you pass the exam, we (celebrate) _____________ it.

10. If you go to London, where (you stay) _____________ ?

11. If you (wear) _____________ this coat, nobody would have recognized you.

12. If you (read) _____________ the article carefully, you wouldn't have asked anything.

13. If someone offered to buy you one of those cars, which one (you choose) _____________ ?

14. If I had known you didn't like the food, I (not buy) _____________ it.

15. If he is there he (answer) _____________ the phone.

16. I'll get lost if you (not go) _____________ with me.

17. I wouldn't have brought umbrella if I (know) _____________ that it was not raining.

18. I could repair the roof myself if I (have) _____________ a longer ladder.

19. I (not buy) _____________ these things if I were you.

20. I (bring) _____________ you some food if I had known that you were hungry.

Source (and more exercises)

Maf Kees   

^ :D

Sending kids to Somalia for at least a year is a bit over the top if it's only purpose is to discover their roots. Parents should acknowledge that they are the ones who failed, but they blame their kids, gaalo and everybody else but themselves. You can't save the world, just don't fcuk up with your own kids.

Ibtisam   

castor

loool what a nice dig at my English, nicest insult as well!!

:D

i believe u stole that from "Headway" English reading and Writing. Thanks but i have already had that lesson in primary school. But i am sure someone else will benefit from your Google excises.

In any case i think what you are encouraging, good English and so forth, is what the author defines as lost, as it takes one further away from their supposed "roots"

Dannyeer

:D i don't think it is the kids who need saving here dear.

Castro   

^ It's not an insult atheer so don't take it as such. My English is rusty as well (I scored 80% on that when it should be 100). My point is, reading and writing well is extremely important if you want to get ahead in life. There's nothing shameful about learning (at any age).

Danyeerow, caqligaan ku jecelehay. :D The bad parenting skills we brought from home. Yeah I said it. Except back home, an entire extended family raised the kids. Now we have self-raising kids. There's but one outcome for that formula: disaster.

We reap what we sow.

Ibtisam   

My point is, reading and writing well is extremely important if you want to get ahead in life. There's nothing shameful about learning (at any age).

At last, something we agree on,

Assumptions are the mother of all ____ups. :D

and cyber world does not offend nor please me. It is just words on screen here, so say that which please you adeer :D

p.s. there is nothing wrong with self-raised kids, they are at times better than the one's who crew up with extended families, and they figure out early to look out for themselves ;)