Sign in to follow this  
Kool_Kat

C'mon!!!

Baluug   

^Actually it depends more on the person's learning abilities and their motaivation, desire, and effort to learn the new language. For example, my ex came to Canada when she was 16. 17 years later, she still speaks like a qaxooti because she didn't really care and couldn't be bothered to learn, but at least she's gotten better since she met me. Compare that to a friend of mine who came to Canada at about the same age and has almost no accent at all, because he was obviously more motivated and possibly a better learner when it comes to language.

And Al-Muminah, no matter if they came here at a later age, 10 years is still more than enough time to learn english. The problem with most immigrants is that they stay with their owm community and still speak their own language, so they don't get practice speaking english and from the looks of it, don't want to speak english. That's fine if you don't want to speak the language of the country you live in, whatever you do with your time is up to you, and it's none of my business. but don't come crying to me to translate for you when you can't even fill out a simple form or go to the doctor and can't tell him why you're sick.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Al-Mu'minah:

Salaama Alaykum,

Well you do say that these people you've encountered are in their late 20s to early 30s right? And they've been in an English-speaking nation for around 10-15 years, correct? Well, if someone came from Somalia to Canada about 15 years ago, then that would make them 15 when they arrived (if they are currently 30). It's not so easy to adjust or learn a completely new language when they're already into their teens. Why do you have to make a thread making fun of them? Do you think that you're more ''Canadian'' than them because you can speak English fluently? I actually have a lot of respect for people who can speak their mother tongue fluently instead of some language that isn't their own. Stop being so condescending will you? At the end of the day, we're all from the some nation and no one's better than the other. If they ask you for help, do it.

Uf, this thread wreaks of self-righteousness. :rolleyes:

Please tell me you were joking when you wrote this? I was laughing so hard reading it...

Unless they suffer from some sort of learning disability, 15yrs is mighty loooooooong to learn a language...Even if they came here at the age of 20, they should speak the language the way it is meant to be spoken, wah...I wonder what they've been doing for the 10 or 15 yrs they've been in Canada...

I wasn't making fun of them, I just find it very odd...Actually no come to think of it, it is funny...Markey wax siqalad u dhahaana waan ku qoslaa...You know my usual LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLz and Kix Kix Kixs...Ok ok, I joke I joke...I don't laugh at them, but it is funny...

All I know is that our mother made sure we spoke Somali in the home (that's why we are all fluent is Somali, even our youngest who was only three when we came to Canada - amaybo iyada iga badisaa Somaliga) and learned this difficult language to the best of our abilities...

Cadaan, you are some do try harder than others to learn the language...And some learn it easier than others...But 15yrs is a very very very long time to be speaking ESL 101 English, wah...It is actually very embarrassing too, when you've been in a country for almost half of your life and can't speak the language sida loogu talagalay... :rolleyes:

It is harder to learn a language at an older age when you've already been accustomed to speaking another language. They obviously don't shelter themselves from speaking the English language because they at least try to say certain words.

You honestly come off so condescending that it's disgusting to even read.

Kool_Kat   

^So don't read it...Yaakuga qasbaya, wah...War ilaa anagaa balaayo aragnay...

For future reference: YOU DON'T LIKE, YOU DON'T READ!!! Easy as 1,2,3...You could count 1,2,3 right? smile.gif

you honestly come off so condescending that it's disgusting to even read.

Thank you...That's exactly how I wanna come across to people with your mentality... :D

Pujah   

KK, I wanna know the crowd you hang out with lady cuz I don't think I have came across anyone in their early to late 20's butchering the English language. Yeah most have accent but who doesn't. I remember when I went to London for a visit everyone automatically guessed I was American now compare that to here where everyone I work with have asked me one time or another from where I got my accent as it's obviously not 'American' :rolleyes: That doesn't mean I am not understandable or that I have heavy accent, it just comes with being bilingual. Anyway I agree with you in the sense that if you can't speak the language of a country you have been living in 10+ years it could only mean you don't want to but the question is why?.

lol. Interesting topic. I guess some do, some don't. Who cares anyway. How about some of the older second generation Italians who do not speak English because they would rather speak their mother tongue and stay in their ethnic communities? Ciil maka qabto when they try to communicate with you in public transportation. Atleast with Somalida you can converse in Somali.

Originally posted by *Pujah*:

KK, I wanna know the crowd you hang out with lady cuz I don't think I have came across anyone in their early to late 20's butchering the English language. Yeah most have accent but who doesn't. ?.

You will be suprised at the number of young Somalis who cant write and read English. I dont blame them btw,English is not our first language.

But,when you live in a country where speaking and communicating in english is essential,i think,it a wise economic decision to invest in learning the language. I remember back in the late 90s,ambitious Somalis enrolled in ESL classes,today fewer Somalis are enrolling.

Its just sad to see a young Somali dragging his freind to help him when he needs services from the govt.

Worse than that is when a mother takes her teenage son to the Dr's office to translate; the embarrassment of asking his mom or aunt some intimate biological terms :eek: (although,proffesional translators are helping these days).

Hooyadeey Afingiriis kuma hadasho, aabaheyna kuma hadlo. Awoowyaasheey iyo ayeeyaasheeyna kumad hali jirin, af la igu soo koriyana ma'aha. Marka maxaa keenaayo wiswiska iyo wax kale haddii la gooy gooye afkaan, abaayadiis.

See camal hee. Wah.

Aniga kuwaa dhibsado, aanan ka helin, oo walina aan la socon, meel ay joogaana aan u dhawaan waa kuwa ka faantamo, iskala weyn afkooda hooyo, oo ay isir iyo ab u leeyihiin. Kuwaas waxaa ugu daran iyagoo weyn shaley imaaday, inay afkooda kibir ahaan isku iloowsiiyaan, oo Ingiriis qaabdaran inay kugu dhago hadlaan, adigoo rabin. Kuwa kalena waa kuwa Afsoomaaliga aad u daran qora, oo afkeena hodan dhulka dhigay foolxumo daradiis qoraalkooda, aanana isku deyin inay isa saxaan siday afafka shisheeye iskugu saxaan ama iskugu adkeyaan. Labadaas koox wax ka qaldan ayaan fiirin karin aniga, lamana i tuso.

Kuwaas haddaa wax ka sheegi lahayd, aad iyo aad kuugu raaci lahaa.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by *Pujah*:

KK, I wanna know the crowd you hang out with lady cuz I don't think I have came across anyone in their early to late 20's butchering the English language.

Walahay you'll be amazed how many people in that age group who don't speak the language well...I mean, they just know enough to get by, and God knows how they use it...As long as you understand what they are saying, it doesn't matter to them how they say it...

Kuwaas haddaa wax ka sheegi lahayd,
aad iyo aad kuugu raaci lahaa.

MMA, yaaba kudhahay igu raac, yaayah...

Ani koley yaab iyo ceeb iyo istacajib baan u arkaa qof isagoo yar (between the ages of 15-20yrs) la keenay Canada, oo wadanka 10 ilaa 15sano jooga oo aana ku hadlikarin hadalkii wadanka looga hadlaayay...Ama sidey doonaan ugu hadlan Ingiriiska...Kamana wado iney hadal koodii Hooyo iloobaan...Kuwa afkoodi Hooyana ilooba waan layaabaa... :eek: :eek: :eek: