Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Yaab iyo nuskeeda

Controversy over proposed St. Paul-Mogadishu sister city agreement

Controversy brews among several Somali residents in Minnesota over a proposed sister city agreement between St. Paul and Mogadishu.

For many Somali immigrants, St. Paul is home.

Imam Hassan Mohamud and Kassim Busuri represent two of four St. Paul mosques working toward making St. Paul Mogadishu’s sister city. 

“Somalis see [St. Paul] as their second home,” Iman Hassan Mohamud said. “Every Somali person, name it where he is coming from, is excited and happy. This is what you call unity.” 

“If our children see that there’s a sister city with St. Paul and Mogadishu, they can claim and say I have a home here,” said Busuri, the Director of Islamic Dawah Center. 

However, the St. Paul-Garoowe Sister City Project, formerly known as Minnesota Friends of Puntland, is against the move. In a statement to Fox 9 they called the effort “premature and unrealistic.” 

They also suggest the partnership would “reward a city where their peoples’ properties were looted, and [where their people] were killed or forced to flee.” 

“The fact is Mogadishu is plagued by terrorist attacks with no end in sight,” the organization said in a press release. “We are vehemently opposed to the formation of this relationship. If allowed to proceed it will only embolden and benefit those who support extremist, anti-west elements.”

“I own a home in St. Paul,” Busuri said. “The person that’s opposing this project isn’t even from St. Paul. They just want to bring the politics of Minneapolis where they can’t even run a convention.” 

According to Busuri, those opposing the St. Paul-Mogadishu sister city effort took a stand in December when it was on the city council’s agenda. 

Now, those in support of the effort have started working to meet and seek a resolution. 

“I have no financial interests in this, I have no personal interests in this other than to make sure the generations to come—of my children, their children—they can see the symbolism of having the country, where I’m from, that’s their country too,” Busuri said. 

The St. Paul-Garoowe Sister City Project would like to see Garoowe City become St. Paul’s sister city instead of Mogadishu. 

“[Garoowe City] was chosen due to its rapid development in economy, infrastructure development, and civic engagement…The city has also taken strong measures to curb terrorist group Al-Shabaab thereby denying them to gain foothold in the region,” a press release said. 

The group said the St. Paul-Garoowe relationship would boost the city’s commitment to democratic ideals and serve as an example for the rest of Somalia as to what can be achieved if free elections are held and extremists are defeated. 

A sister city is a long-term partnership between two communities in two countries, according Sister Cities International. President Dwight D. Eisenhower founded the organization in 1956.

Xigasho

No sane Soomaali was against when Boosaaso was paired with Minneapolis as a twin city in 2014 ee marka maxaa quuqdaan now. Soomaalidaas waa inay xaasidnimada iska daayaan, ee mana ahayn inay qabyaaladii fadhi ku dirirka la soo shirtagaan - ayaandarro ahaa.

Barwaaqo   

Yaab iyo Amakaag cinwaanka ku bedelo. Arinkani wax kale ma aha’ ee waa ‘Soomaaliyeey Tooseydiinii’ oo  heersaysan oo dhigaysan

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

To be fair, Garowe-St. Paul sister city application started few years before Mogadishu-St. Paul.   There should be courtesy to give each other a chance since all of them are Somali cities. What is the point of starting a parallel process so late? 

I know this because I live just outside of St. Paul.

Tallaabo   
23 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

The group said the St. Paul-Garoowe relationship would boost the city’s commitment to democratic ideals and serve as an example for the rest of Somalia as to what can be achieved if free elections are held and extremists are defeated. 

Oo goomay democratic noqdeen oo free elections qabteen B|

Haddii meesha been lagu camirayo waa ina reer Muqdisho dhahaan magaaladayadu waa hoyga fast foodka, fizzy drinkska, baseballka, redneckska, Mexican nacaybka, iyo wixii kasta oy beesha maraykan raali ka yihiindee :)

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 2

On 2018-04-06 at 9:53 AM, Dahireeto said:

To be fair, Garowe-St. Paul sister city application started few years before Mogadishu-St. Paul.   There should be courtesy to give each other a chance since all of them are Somali cities. What is the point of starting a parallel process so late? 

I know this because I live just outside of St. Paul.

Iyagoo Garoowe u doodaaye, Garoowe amaanaayo ku filnaan lahayd intee Xamar iyo dadka degan ka been abuurayaan. See u hadeen waa qaabdarro iyo nuskeeda.

• Like 3

galbeedi   

Ceebay Tacaal. 

Qurbaha ayaa dad iga jiraa ha iga hadho.

They probably never sat down and discussed who must get what or which bis is first or what not. . It is small potato that could have been resolved without the media.

Yet, by judging this article the Puntland activists not only look ugly but also seem to be ruthless warlords who want to fight the Somali civil war of 1990.

What would they trying to gain to bring down the Somali national capital. Don't they realize that the bombing and the maiming of Somali people in Mogadishu is a tragedy that has affected Somalis every where including the diaspora, and ending that violence is the greatest hope of everyone?.

Ninyahow, the Puntland public are among the finest Somalis I have ever met, but their politicians are among the worst. Other that C/laahi Yusuf (AHN), they could not produce any great statesman that can take the political torch.

• Like 1

Mooge   

Galbeedi, the people who said those things if true, don't speak for puntlanders. the statements are not very nice but they are not  different from what we hear from oodweyne, barwaaqo, suldanka and others say everyday. sometimes people say mean things to score points. AUN Yeey was a great statesman galbeedi, but Cabdirisaaq Xaaji Xuseen and Cabdirshaiid Cali Sharmaarke were also legendary somali nationalists of the finest quality. Prime Minister Abdirisaaq died in Minneapolis poor and living in a government housing because he refused to steal public money. samatar brothers wrote about his journey endlessly many times. 

we also have rising stars Abdi warsame, Ilhan Omar  and Ahmed Hussen as fine young somali politicians in West growing in their positions. 

Puntland's greatest resource is its people. when siyaad collapsed, we had nothing there other than dry land full of Siyaad's bullets and poisoned water wells. we exist because of our people. unlike Somaliland which inherited all institutions of somali government including Somali military, Puntland started from zero with  nothing but dusty little towns and all its population living in Mogadishu in refugee camps in Kenya. no ports, no population, no wealth, no airports, no government institutions. nothing. it was the least developed region in all Somalia. today Puntland is a model for dowlad goboleeds thanks to its nationalistic people who work hard every day to live and let live. 

galbeedi   

Mooge,

I forgot to add that, what I meant was " For the last 27 years" after the collapse of the state.

C/risaaq, Sarmaarke and others are legendary Somalis. I was just referring after the collapse of the state.

Ahmed Hussen, Ilhaan and Others are great. Puntlanders must remembers that this are the product of Somalis and supported by Somalis. It seems that the Puntlanders want to own everything about Minnesota. They must share with others. We already have Minneapolis-Boosaaso twin cities already. Let others take the pride and bring peaceful Mogadishu to the world.

9 minutes ago, Mooge said:

Puntland's greatest resource is its people. when siyaad collapsed, we had nothing there other than dry land.

I agree. in 1998, you set up Puntland and within six years, you guys tried to bring the state back. I respect the Puntlanders because despite the suffering against Siyaad Barre, you do not complain about it. It is like nothing happened in MUdug. You guys are proud people, but your politicians and activists  sometimes take things to an ugly level that Somalis would not dare especially in diaspora.

Puntlanders should not compare themselves to the separatists would would say and do anything under the sun to get that elusive " Aqoonsi"

Mooge   

galbeedi, if it was upto me, I wouldn't even go for garowe-stpaul twin thing. is is useless niyoow.  it is true puntlanders feel they contribute the most tax to Minnesota due to population numbers and are entitled to perks, but don't forget we have the ugliest HAG community in Minneapolis walahi. we hear their ugly stories in Nairobi everyday niyoow of how they try to bring down every puntlander and don't allow any Puntlander to succeed in a state puntlanders outnumber everyone 1 to 3. it is shame niyoow. I think that is where all this hostility towards Mogadishu is coming from for the people who live in Minneapolis  because they face extreme ugliness from HAG and their minority allies in Minnesota. it is not a joke walahi. go and warayso people over there. it is dog-eat-dog world. 

read what HAG websites are writing niyoow about this to create hostility among people. I don't blame the puntlanders sometimes for being ruthless. how is a HAG in Somalia going to react when he reads this. this is how they fuel hatred among people and that is why the country can't go forward. the capital city is in flames because of HAG  (Kheyre vs Fiqi) but they would do anything to reflect all attention towards Puntlanders and some enemy that is not letting them progress.  the people who speak for HAG (website owners) have  no vision, dhaqan, reer magaalnimo. waa wada dahir calsoow. 

https://www.caasimada.net/majeerteenka-minnesota-oo-aflagaado-iyo-been-abuur-ku-hortaagan-maatneynta-muqdisho-iyo-saint-paul-video/

anyways,  I didn't like how the idiots tried to insult Mogadishu because white people don't care what village you came from. 

1 hour ago, Mooge said:

unlike Somaliland which inherited all institutions of somali government including Somali military

Yes, we inherited all institutions and Somali military. :D 

Mogadishu still owes us more. More than 200 thousand homes and businesses destroyed, close to 50k people dead, another 100k wounded, some still get injured by landmines planted in every corner and village. 

Sometimes, it is better to start from zero on a clean sheet... returning to Bosaso with already intact lifestyle and buildings, is much better than returning to a ghost city with destroyed and mined streets till your eyes can see. Just the hopelessness of the situation and the enormity of the task would put many to just sit and cry, instead of rolling up their sleeves and getting to work which Somalilanders done. 

• Thanks 2

Mooge   
niyoow let me tell you some facts. 
  1. Somali military and equipment was inherited by SNM - Cumar Carte's ordered all of somali army in the north to surrender. Huge amount of weapons, military hardware, and institutions were given to SNM clan. the entrie fighting divisions were overtaken by SNM. 
  2. Hargeisa and Burco were actually thriving when Siyaad Barre left the country after the destruction because the SNM was defeated way before Siyaad left power, and the country had some time of stability except the USC side was active.  yes there were houses still not rebuilt mostly in Hargeisa, but most of the city recovered way better than garowe, galkacyo or bosaso. don't forget hargeisa was Somalia's second capital so there was huge investment of wealth there by somali government to prove that country was stable and normal.   Puntlander had zero, its people chased. 
  3. Berbera Port was the biggest institution inherited built by Somali movements.  we had nothing. bosaso was a beach with macmal deked. 
  4. and all other Somaliland medium sized and small cities were untouched by civil war except Burco which some early damaged but recovered quickly before Siyad bare left.

niyoow the story that Somaliland started below zero under SNM after Siyad left the country is the biggest bogus story ever. no somali with his right mind would ever buy that.