They was paid just to show up and leave, no one succeeds

So he moves with his peers, different blocks, different years

Sittin on, different benches like it's musical chairs

All his peoples moved on in life, he's on the corners at night

with young dudes it's them he wanna be like

It's sad but it's fun to him right? He never grew up

31 and can't give his youth up, he's in his second childhood

Nas

No matter where you are you will get these dudes but there seems to be a higher proportion among Somalis. Call it the process of assimilation but its been a while now. You meet them on the weekend on your visit to the 'endz' or maqaaxi. The usual nonesense and silly questions about your line of work, your salary, your address etc. After much encouragement to do something in life and many years he is still looking for his nieche. Lazy so and so!

Forgive my rant.

ElPunto   

^Haha.

At a certain age - it's best to tell a loser like that to leave your home and become his 'own man'. I've seen countless examples of parents, especially mothers, providing housing, food and a cleaning service for folks like that. On top of that - many cause them endless headaches as they get into scrapes with the police and gangs etc.

These parents have to bear some of the blame on this particular front. You have to tell your child - look you're a big net loss - so to reduce my loss and hopefully make you a mature and thinking adult - go out on your own. Pay for your own housing, for your own food and cleaning. Othewise as a parent - you're enabling the loser ethos of your child.

And that's my 2 cents.

N.O.R.F   

TP, the 'kick em out at 18' thing should be adopted by Somalis if he is sitting on his back side all day and night.

Not having a go at those brothers who work and still live at home :D

Baluug   

I'm sure most of us didn't leave our parents' house by the age of 25, let alone 18. :D North is right, if the guy's working, I don't see a problem with someone living with his parents. After all, it's good to save money and make a slow transition into the working world, rather than jumping in head first. It took me until I was 24 and a husband and a father before I finally got out of mom and dad's house for good.

Nehanda   

Perhaps the lack of a father figure or role model is to blame for this culture.

What do you expect when the father is always high on drugs, lazy git relying on the doll and milky the wife off her bit.

NGONGE   

^^ What normal, hip and cool child would want to have a father figure to emulate? :D

At any rate, I think Northerner is exaggerating a little. There aren't as many of these guys as there used to be in the past. Most nowadays are out there taking care of business.

N.O.R.F   

Cadaan, 24 is actually quite young compared to many.

Ngonge, I was exaggerating a little. Today's youngsters seem to be on point including the blads and bruvs.

BOB   

What I wouldn't give to live with my two parents once AGAIN just for a DAY...one single day that's all.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Norf, I have confronted some "cousins" on this issue but they always claim to be "helping mom" with the rent hence their extended stay. As a matter of fact most I have seen use that "hip" line of defense these days.

Skipper   

Quote by Ngonge:

At any rate, I think Northerner is exaggerating a little. There aren't as many of these guys as there used to be in the past. Most nowadays are out there taking care of business.

This is indeed a major problem that only the somalis have and its more and more visible in Africa. In Europe the married xalimo will become single mother allowing her farax to stay jobless and be able to chew qaat on a daily basis. I personally think that North is not exaggerating, if anything he held some back.

Skipper   

One more thing malis, living under the same roof as your parents is not the problem here but albeit living with them and staying jobless.