Sign in to follow this  
Maf Kees

Coastal Somalia 2006

Maf Kees   

Personal images of the Tsunami-struck coastal areas of Somalia. I'd like to share the beauty of our country back home.

mogadishu, farming settlement near no. 50 airport (lambar konton)

152929027_bab957e739.jpg

sunset in garacad

134787019_b92dffe49d.jpg

ostriches walking like supermodels in the friggin desert

189466963_a4176eef57.jpg

ilig (tooth), view of the indian ocean

134730290_acd8dd5a0b.jpg

Its view is as beautiful as its history is horrific. In 1903, Seyid Mohamed and 700 local clansmen loyal to his Dervish movement tied the inhabitants to each other, beat them up and threw them off the cliffs to either drown or be eaten by sharks.

pastoralism and fishing can go hand in hand

134730292_a1d62d631e.jpg

antilopes in an enclosure

134730294_c5b6836858.jpg

baby shark

189466965_2bf5829447.jpg

this is salmon right?

189466964_c782502f6a.jpg

Maf Kees   

eyl, unique village with a lot of proud history

134727092_daa8d08a01.jpg

You'll forget that you're in Africa sometimes, it looks more like the Middle East or even Southern Europe

beach of eyl (italians changed the name in to baia del negro during their colonial rule)

134727090_5f5a24904d.jpg

dry riverbed

134730301_69c7f50be7.jpg

My granddad's birthplace, the family used to own potato farms there in the 50s

indian ocean

134727089_29169c2d96.jpg

camels

134730298_9fed8106f2.jpg

I can understand why many gabay poems were dedicated to these beautiful creatures

Some beautiful images, you got their Maf Kees!

Congratulations, you can only be really proud of yourself for those wonderfully taken pictues. I'm amazed. Maashaallaah!

134730301_69c7f50be7.jpg

Eyl or Madiinatu Salaam is my hometown!

134730290_acd8dd5a0b.jpg

Beautiful Illig Daldala! Yes this is the place, where 300 of my close family (clans-men) have been mascared due to a alleged betrayal to the cause of the Sayid Maxamed Cabdulle Xassan! In those days 300 hundred people were alot. The survivors from that day all emigrated to other parts of Somalia, Ethiopia and as far as the NFD.

Actually my fault, it was due to a lady of my clan, who made a poem, in which she described and boasted about the stength, quantatiy of the clan in numbers and the many livestock! She finished the poem with the words 'Ala yara ma noqonaa'. Which translated means 'Shall we better become a less, smaller and insignificant clan'?

She asked, and when the Sayid heard those words, he sent his army to tie my clan together and throw them off the ilig daldala cliff, only to drown and die in the ocean.

Maf Kees   

^ I learned that the perpetrators were local people and not an attack from one clan on another. I'll have to check your claims.

Waterlily.

Thanks. Somebody I know who travelled to Somalia recently took these photos.

Maf Kees   

Thanks North, Sheh and Didi. It means a lot.

Northerner.

The Indian Ocean is full with sharks. This is the first time for me to see a Somali shark as well. Even though its just a dead baby.

For those who saved the pics on their computer but didn't bother to leave a message: its fine, but just don't take pics like these for granted aight! Somebody had put some time and effort in shooting them.

ElPunto   

^I hope this is not the extent of your coastal Somalia photo collection - that would be camera stingy indeed :D Otherwise - please keep them coming.

Sawiro lala dhaco waaye, oo picture perfect ah.

About the coast and saxara-like environment kinda reminds me this sawir I took three years ago at outskirts of Xamar:

xamarce4.jpg

It is where the undisturbed sea, land, sky and living meet. I sorta fell in love with it. If you haven't noticed, the sea is up there, in the dark blue behind the geel. Cloudless azure sky is almost perfect too.