Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Quraan Ringtones

For the past several years i was not comfortable with those people who put verses of Quran as a ringtone for their mobile phones. It was just a feeling and since i didn't have any daliil i would just shut up.

Today, i received a round main from a friend which talks about the samething. Not yet sure about the source but it says like this:

FATWA

Saudi council of Muftis have given an unanimous Fatwa that ring tones on QURAN AAYAT are haraam because the AAYAT are not complete when we pick the phone and meanings of AAYAT changes when they are not complete. QURAN is for Hidayat and not for ring tones,

Please inform others

Well, i just wanted to put this as a discussion point and see what other SOL member think about it.

Thanks

peasant   

How about if someone rings you while you are answering a nature call? That i think too is another good reason not to have ayat as a ringtone.

winnie   

well, what about quran in mp3 format? dont we pause them sometimes without regard to what verse they stop, is that haram?

i think they should be careful what they call haram, and give more information on their justification.

i think the fact that we can receive a call in the washroom, like the above person mentionned, is a more serious issue regarding qurannic ring tones. that, i can see, is haram.

Som@li   

it is ****** to put QUran as ringtones, how abt u in toiltet and it rings? or doing some other busines? lol

Salama alaykum, when listening or reading the Quran you must give the Quran full attention because after all those are the words of Allah. SubhanAllah, it's too immense to use as a ringtone.

I think Ibnu Cuthaymen even gave out a Fatwa warning people against it.

The difference between listening to it on your mp3 and using it as a ringtone is BIG! One, because you're actually paying attention to the Quran when you have it turned on to your mp3 and two, with your ringtone you intend to interrupt an ayat or so of the Quran in order to attend to a call. Astaghfirullah, the Quran holds more weight than just a mere ringtone. :(

Paragon   

well, what about quran in mp3 format? dont we pause them sometimes without regard to what verse they stop, is that haram?

Ibtiyey, it's always advised that we never interrupt a reciter in the middle of an Aayah and as such it's wise to apply that rule to digital or cassette recording of the Qur'an. ITS ACTUALLY MOST IMPORTANT to halt all avoidable interruptions of a Quranic recitation, specially when you are with friends and family. It's sometimes easy to have discussions while a Surah plays in the background. It's also nice smile.gif to say sadaqallaahu cadiim right after listening to the Aayahs recited that in the middle of a Surah. Little habits here and there make a difference smile.gif .

From my childhood till now, I somehow I had this innate inability to abruptly stop an Aayah, whether it be from the radio, cassette, or digital recording. Must be the family upbringing beaten deep into my thick skull :D .

PS: Kiss the Kitaab wherever you encounter it. Phew! That ends our lecture session dear sister smile.gif .

Curly   

You should include voicemails with Quran on that too!

I dislike the whole ringtone/voicemail thing; you need pay attention to the meaning of the words.

However I am confused about the whole leave Quran playing in a house when you out...I have been advised to do that and don't really understand the point. It's almost like when people use quran verse as decoration on their walls or have the Quran in a room. As though the power of the quran in it's written form will protect you. In fact it's been describe as shirik by many as only Allah can protect you, so reciting quran is the best thing to do.

On the other hand we used to have a dua on toilet door to remind people to read the dua so I guess if you're using it in that context that's different.

Aaliyyah   

I think from a religious perspective you would get more ajar if you have Quran ringtone as a oppose to music. You have to know that ringtones and stuff like that didn't exist at the time of the prophet csw, so we shouldn't rush to say it is haram. Think about the context. We need ring tones for our cellphones and a verse of an ayah is better than having a music.

Allah knows best!!

Ms DD   

Salaam

Sue

I think this is why people recite surah Baqarah (not other surahs) at the house, even if they are not there:

The Shaytaan runs away from the house wherein Surah Baqarah is recited.

N.O.R.F   

I have never been a fan of any other ring tones. Nokia's default 'didididiii, didididiii, didididiii is good enough if not already on beep once.

Originally posted by AAliyah416:

I think from a religious perspective you would get more ajar if you have Quran ringtone as a oppose to music. You have to know that ringtones and stuff like that didn't exist at the time of the prophet csw, so we shouldn't rush to say it is haram. Think about the context. We need ring tones for our cellphones and a verse of an ayah is better than having a music.

Allah knows best!!

Salama alaykum,

A normal ringtone would suffice dear sister. Besides, I don't think it's right of you to say that one gets more ajar for that. Like I said before, you must give the Quran full attention as those are the words of Allah.

Nephissa   

Not a bad idea to get one if the phone is strictly for Qur'an use only. Unfortunately, my gfs and I talk hell alot of nonsense and I don't see the point of starting nonsense with 'Bismillaah' when you'r supposed to feel spiritually humble to the remembrance of Allah. Like the Somali wedding receptions, after the recitation of a verse, a familiar H.A Samatar beat breaks through the speakers, and people suddenly flood onto the dance floor [Ya Allah forgive our danbi with your infinite mercy.] Qur'anka noocaan loo isticmaalo wax ajar ka soo galaayo ma jiro zilch, zero, zip.

I have flo-rida's "stuck on my ella, e-ella-vator" as a ringtone. redface.gif .

Aaliyyah   

a normal ringtone? wouldnt that be music beat??...isn't music haraam from religous point of view??..the only thing thats allowed is nasheed "which is a song pertaining the diin without any instrument" ... anyways you do have a point when you say we should pay full attention to the ayah, rather than interrupting it by picking up ur cell. Allah yaclam.

wa salaamu alaikum