Duufaan

Ethiopia needs 'greater freedom of people not less' - Tillerson tells govt

Duufaan   
news

Ethiopia needs 'greater freedom of people not less' - Tillerson tells govt

We recognize the transition that is underway in Ethiopia, the first ever voluntary transfer of power, and I view this as a very positive symbol of this very young democracy in Ethiopia – a peaceful transition of power.

“We share concerns raised by government over the incidence of violence, loss of lives and we do firmly believe the answer is greater freedom of people not less.

“We recognize the transition that is underway in Ethiopia, the first ever voluntary transfer of power, and I view this as a very positive symbol of this very young democracy in Ethiopia – a peaceful transition of power.

“During recent events, the United States have expressed our concerns with the government’s decision to impose another state of emergency because it does put restrictions on fundamental rights like assembly and expression.

He touched on political reforms announced in January 2018 by the ruling coalition and the subsequent measures undertaken to actualize them. He stressed, however, that there was more to be done in that respect.

“We formally believe that democratic reforms, economic growth and lasting stability are best addressed through an inclusive political process rather than through the imposition of restrictions.

In a word of advice to the citizenry, he said: “We encourage the Ethiopian people as well to maintain patience, maintain support for your government through this change or this transition but also through this journey of pursuing democracy which takes time and effort. Democracy is not easy, it takes a lot of work.”

Duufaan   

The emirate foreign minister, as well Russian foreign minister are present in Adis Ababa.  That tells how the region become the center of the new Geo-political center. 

galbeedi   

It is all about Somalia, the false and an ending war on terror which Ethiopia makes $700 million a year and China.

America keeps dropping bombs and destroying things, while China is building things.  Which one you would like if you were an African leader.

Only fools like Farmaajo will believe that the so called drone could defeat Al-shabaab which is fighting in Balcad as we speak which is 30 km from Mogadishu. 

Rather build capacity and fight, he went to Kampala and gave them billions. They got paid 200 million just for nine months salary and more will come. They demanded to stay past 2020, and he was happy.

If Somalia does not get a serious leader in few years time, we might as well forget this country forever.

galbeedi,

I agree with you that all Somali territories from Djibouti to Kenya are in play just like 1900s. As minelik was in the thick of it from hinterland Ethiopia is also in the thick of it from the Hinterland. The Somali people is in the same condition as the sultanates and boqor were in 1900s.

What did yu expect Farmaajo to do.

The chinese will not put a single of their soldier on the ground, but going with them on "silk road" belt and road can get you killed immediately. That is what is happening. Djibouti and Ethiopia are in the cross hairs for choosing the road and belt.

You may have ideals and long term views, but if you get killed immediately, you cannot implement them. If you do not implement them, regardless how lofty your ideals are, will not amount to anything.

For Farmaajo Mogadishu is the key. If he cannot solve Mogadishu the chance he has of restoring central/federal goverment will end up same way as others before him.

galbeedi   

OO,

I agree. It looks like it was at the turn of the century.

I know you will be eliminated quickly if you bring the CHinese to build roads, schools and ports in Somalia, but serious leaders must have a backup plan. This is not like in the seventies where either you have to join the Warsaw pact or the western capitalism. 

You need to swim with Sharks and fins ways. If FArmaajo can not pacify one city for the next two years , he is doomed to fail. 

All politics might be local in terms of Mogadishu, but Somalia have big allies today like Turkey and others, but one the leader is an American citizen, he have to listen to the stupid American war on terror and their an ending games. You need to be bold.

I think Djibouti needs the Chinese to lift the poverty in Djibouti especially water and electricity. Ghelle family and the state are making hundreds of millions but the poverty in Djibouti is widespread than never before. 

OO, 

Now tell us who the American are picking for prime minister?. or that job is for the Tigray to decide?

1 hour ago, galbeedi said:

OO,

I agree. It looks like it was at the turn of the century.

I know you will be eliminated quickly if you bring the CHinese to build roads, schools and ports in Somalia, but serious leaders must have a backup plan. This is not like in the seventies where either you have to join the Warsaw pact or the western capitalism. 

You need to swim with Sharks and fins ways. If FArmaajo can not pacify one city for the next two years , he is doomed to fail. 

All politics might be local in terms of Mogadishu, but Somalia have big allies today like Turkey and others, but one the leader is an American citizen, he have to listen to the stupid American war on terror and their an ending games. You need to be bold.

I think Djibouti needs the Chinese to lift the poverty in Djibouti especially water and electricity. Ghelle family and the state are making hundreds of millions but the poverty in Djibouti is widespread than never before. 

OO, 

Now tell us who the American are picking for prime minister?. or that job is for the Tigray to decide?

I know one idea you are totally opposed, but still Mogadishu has killed more than a few best opportunities of restoring Somalia. I say move to Bay or Hiiran or somewhere. Make Mogadishu federal city. You are aware how problem of Addis Ababa and Dirdawa was handled. Those two cities would have brought down any government, but are still orderly.

As regards to Americans in Ethiopia:

As you are well aware the state department has never been friends with this government. Amhara are first and only choice of state department. Amhara have a lot of lobby power in America. Their problem is the white house prefers to go with pentagon and Amhara can lobby congress, but Ethiopia is very strong in the senate.

Generally speaking Amhara have the edge with America as always.

The problem is the Amhara do not have much on the ground. Even the kilil is shaky since if they push on hate on Tigre the other ethnics in Amahara kilil will not go along. As a matter of fact the villages around Gonder will not go along.

For Tigray one thing are not interested in Prime minister or president. This everyone agrees. They are also under tremendeous pressure from Afar and Somalis that the federal system should not be modified or changed in any way shape or form. No compromise on this to benefit Amhara or Oromo. The Amhara want to dismantle kilils and make provinces. The Oromo wants to keep their kilil but want to impose their language so they can displace the Amhara who hold 70% of government positions.

As you know, in politics no body speaks of the meat of the issue, therefore no one speaks of the real issues one is fighting for. Misdirection is best tool. So everybody "hates" Weyannie but for different reasons and sometimes contradictory reasons.

This cry is for more than a goat applies here. There are tribes even the great power America cannot buy, it can only fight them and when America is not interested in fighting them will wait for another day.

Djibouti is working on survival issues like food, water, electricity. I think you are aware and informed of what has been done so far. Its big achievement. The Chinese have been very helpful in this and America is also helpful, but has no money, therefore is turning to being unhelpful and obstructionist. The French should have been most helpful, but cannot do anything America does not want.

The Japanese also are under America, but want to do same method as Chinese. That is their method. I hope you are aware there is people to people relationship for Japanese with Ethiopians. In 1937 there was a Japanese association of 100,000 memebrs that sent guns and other war materials to Ethiopian patriots against Italy. This was before the Japanese Emperor decided to side with Germany Italy. From this comes the Japanese schools in Adwa and other development activities. There are schools that teach Japanese language.

35 minutes ago, Dahireeto said:

The US has very little ability to shape Ethiopia's future or policy. It lost ground to China. 

Yes, but the US has more than necessary capabiity to bring Ethiopia to the stone age.

There are the Amhara who can give up easily if they will not get power in Ethiopia. It maybe surprising and hard to believe the Amhara negotiating with Egypt but is not the first time. In 1900s also menelik and Egypt were allies against Habeshi.

Even Mengistu hailemariam has come back to youtube now stating the GERD is unnecessary.