Suldaanka

Djibouti's minister of Ports says one of the reasons kicking out DP World is "Berbera Port"

Holac   

Suldaanka and Oodweyne are taking things out of context. Following are facts to consider:

1. DP world has been fighting contract issues with Djibouti for the last six years. The Berbera and Bosaso deals are fresh deals and a last-ditch effort by DP world to “diversify” and spread its risk after contract disagreements with Djibouti.
  2. DP world has majority voting rights in the Doraleh port when in fact the DP World’s ownership is only 33%. The other 67% is owned by the Djiboutian Government. Djibouti’s government wants to change the unfair contract they signed when they were desperate. I would do the same.
  3. DP World has been demanding that Djbouti NOT  build any other ports or expand existing ones. DP’s demands are unfair to say the least.
  4. Djibouti’s Ghelleh was the biggest supporter of Kulmiye Party (the current ruling party of Somaliland) during the election. Wadani came out against  the port deal publicly and Djibouti did everything it could to undermine Wadani in the election.   
  5. Mr. Bihi, knew about the long  battle between DP World and Djibouti long before yesterday’s news. He has a very close relationship with Gheeleh. DP World/Djibouti contract dispute is expected to have no impact on the two presidents' relationship.

So saxibayaal, I hold a different view. The Djibouti/DP world issue has very little to do with Somaliland. Let us not smell smoke where there is none.

Gheulleh had done the ground work in 1999. He signed an areement with Meles (who was in worst shape and utter victim).

Ethiopia cannot use another port unless it owns it.

Gheulleh knew neither Eritrea nor Somaliland will allow themselves to be owned or confederated to Ethiopia.

Where as for him, even if everything blows on the face, he can make confederation with Ethiopia and stop Somaliland on its track. There is no opposition internally for him to do this.

He actually stated this few years ago.

The only option for Somaliland is to get even ahead of him, which I think is impossible. 20% Ethiopian ownership of Berbera is not going to cut it, if Gheulleh decides Confederation or EU stsyle with Ethiopia.

3 hours ago, Holac said:

Suldaanka and Oodweyne are taking things out of context. Following are facts to consider:

1. DP world has been fighting contract issues with Djibouti for the last six years. The Berbera and Bosaso deals are fresh deals and a last-ditch effort by DP world to “diversify” and spread its risk after contract disagreements with Djibouti.
  2. DP world has majority voting rights in the Doraleh port when in fact the DP World’s ownership is only 33%. The other 67% is owned by the Djiboutian Government. Djibouti’s government wants to change the unfair contract they signed when they were desperate. I would do the same.
  3. DP World has been demanding that Djbouti NOT  build any other ports or expand existing ones. DP’s demands are unfair to say the least.
  4. Djibouti’s Ghelleh was the biggest supporter of Kulmiye Party (the current ruling party of Somaliland) during the election. Wadani came out against  the port deal publicly and Djibouti did everything it could to undermine Wadani in the election.   
  5. Mr. Bihi, knew about the long  battle between DP World and Djibouti long before yesterday’s news. He has a very close relationship with Gheeleh. DP World/Djibouti contract dispute is expected to have no impact on the two presidents' relationship.

So saxibayaal, I hold a different view. The Djibouti/DP world issue has very little to do with Somaliland. Let us not smell smoke where there is none.

Do not believe @galbeedicantrabaqash (My sources told me fairy tales). 

Like the Djibouti Minister stipulated, the issues between DP World and Djibouti was going for the last 6 years and the root causes are the fact that the agreement.

1. Gives DP World controlling votes 

2. The Agreement bans Djibouti from building any other multipurpose port anywhere in the country for the duration of the contract. 

It is the these two points that Djibouti wants to review and amend.

However, what prompted Djibouti to take the drastic actions of kicking out DP World and nullyfing the contracts it signed is related to DP World's plans for Berbera Port. Not only is DP World establishing a world class port facility in Berbera but also the fact that UAE is building other infrastructures that will help towards Berbera Port assuming a good share of the cargo trade from Ethiopia. 

Holac   
9 hours ago, Suldaanka said:

Do not believe @galbeedicantrabaqash (My sources told me fairy tales). 

Suldaanka, you seem to be more interested in jabbing the great @galbeedithan give us any convincing evidence that Djibouti took the decision it took because of Somaliland. Your entire argument is based on the timing of the announcement.  I say the timing is not suspect. Until you give us more evidence, we just have to agree to disagree on this. 

Does anyone have the Somaliland-DP World contract? 

Here is more from the Djibouti-DP World dispute. 

cadnaan1   

I do support Djibouti gov for taking this action but waxaan isweydiiya inta aysan saxiixin heshiiskan specially qeybta ah port kale ma dhisi karto jabuuti ayagana maxay u dhihi waayeen DP ma dhisi  karto another port in the  neighbor's countries.

• Like 1

Holac   
6 hours ago, cadnaan1 said:

The idiot waraabe cashar ayaa loo dhigay

Waraabe ceebi ma karto. He was talking like a mercenary for DP World. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Oodweyne said:

Holac,

In other words, every country needs a political mad-man., who no one will be seen dead in "paying" attention to him publicly in-terms of what he is saying at any given day. But, still, he will be paid attention to in private, since, seldom is what he is saying something that is untrue even if it's a put in a bit of a vulgar kind of expression of sort. This what Mr Waraabe actually does it for Somaliland.

Ethiopia needs one in a hurry. Everyone is talking in coded words and polite delivery in that country. The most dangerous environment.

Countries cannot function without a Waraabe. I remember him challenging ICU and his statement which was frowned upon initially became the statement of everyone including Meles Zenawi.