Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

World Bank Poverty report on Somalia: Somaliland region(NW) poorer than Puntland

Galbeedi,

Am only feeding you a spoonful of goodies a piece at a time as if a huntsman feeding his quarry prior to effecting the final blow, for you appear not to have acquired the requisite flair for researching obscure subjects beyond your sphere, yet so full of misplaced gumption, which I find rather endearing. Ata lad. Again, keep the arguments brief and precise, if you so could, should you want me to follow your logic, and repeat not yourself where applicable.

Ya badaawi, “geeljirenimo” is the highest accolade one could bestow upon a nomad, yet it appears you have not developed shine for “kaftan”, and are still in the Dila sticks; kaftan aside though, I think we said all that could be said on the matter; so, moving along.

Addendum:

But first, allow me to let you in a little secret; in my most recent visit to the region, esp. the said two regions, I paid a close attention to three areas of interest namely:

a) Work force & skillset,

b) Cost of Qat, socially and economically with an emphasis upon hard currency leaving the country in planes, and

c) Revenue generating constructs along with VAT collection mechanism.

I was saddened by the former (a), shocked by secundus (b), and encouraged by the latter ©.

On the heels of such discoveries, and with respect to the former, I paid sanctioned visits to the old Hargeisa Polytechnic, now a budding university, EA Bosaso, one of the better seats of learning in the region, and GTec (Garowe), a teacher training facility; equally of interest, and in good spirit, I paid guided visits to the ministries of finances in both regions, and main ports ( Bossaso & Berbera in that order).

These were not casually mere stopovers, but deliberately inspecting, if guided, yet unscientific, and only armed with my engineering trained skills & tools, by local authorities with general directors furnishing discernible data. Valuable data, not for public consumption, I gleaned, ergo my enthusiasm, and less cynicism, unlike you young Turks spewing malevolent rhetoric.

With duly enthusiasm, I entered, was consumed by melancholy with tears being shed during, but left with smiles, aspirations, and hope.

A great deal of potential, there i observed with silent heroes all round.

Word to the wise, give politics a rest, and instead focus upon and invest in, brain and brawn, what & where (skill, re-acculturating, and hard work ethics) [it] matters the most.

Adjunct:

Bemused, I was with this bold statement; how dare you sir, attempt to engage in a serious conversation with data as deprecated as 80s'; do you not recall what was going in the NE regions back then? This was at the height of the armed rebellion with the majority of the population displaced in the said regions, most at the time, living in Somali Galbeed (DDSI) with entire villages burnt to the ground; I did not relaise I was conversing with a young lad still hanging unto the tail of his dear mama’s skirt (irresistible joke; hana gadoodin dee sida reerka lagu yaqaan ;--). It is all in jest.

Put it, let me in a perspective you could identify with, with your being a nomad and all, shall I? Do you recall Borama back in the 80s prior to Awdal being designated as a region, and even years after Baki was the designate capital for the then would-be regional Awdal region? Do you recall how tiny Borama was back then (it was technically a daabiyad, even if that) in terms of population and city-wise in comparison to today? If so, then let that be a comparable barometer for your burgeoning wit when engaging in discussion concerning NE regions, or any other region in the old country now that we have established your restrained, if contrived exposure.

"In the early eighties when I traveled the highway from Gaalkacayo to Garoowe, the only village that was visible was Burtine, with two blocks on both side of the highway. "

Till then,

I shall bid you farewell.

Thanks brother.

I do really respect those young Somalis who go back home and contribute for the development of our people , especially engineers like you.

In my old days in Gahayr University, we used to say " Engineeri nor parlano , ma rispondono con I numeri", which means engineers do not talk much , but answer with numbers. I know Somali politics is a headache but we should at least try to reclaim our nation and have a place among free nations.

Also, when I traveled that highway in 1981 to Mogadishu, the SSDF insurgency was active and most of the towns were abandoned by the people. Brother, I know the price you guys paid, " Barkadaha la gubay iyo dadka qaxay" , yet as a proud people you never complain about Siyaad Barre and what he has done to North East.

The country is different than what it used to be long ago. I Am also a believer of hard work and gaining life skills . Politics arranges the system but what made these societies prosperous is hard work and education.

Any way, habeen wanaagsan. Inkasta oonan ka seexan karaynba waxan Soomaalida lagu hayo ciilkeeda iyo cadhadeeda.