Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo

Oodweyne   

Maakhiri,

Saaxiib, cheap insults from your end only bespoke the kind of "mean intellect" we should surely assigned to you. Hence, the less said about it the better we shall all feel.

As for the issue in hand, the argument is not about his clan and whatnot. But rather it's about his political orientation and what he consider to be the political tragedy that has fallen on the Somali people. That means, if you read his written argument (in the form of his M.Sc Thesis) you will see how he absolved any crime of his late Uncle Barre. And, in that sense, I am only going by his argument, not his lineage. Moreover, the issue of Somaliland and Somalia is an issue, in which he already indicated what he thinks about it.

Which means, from his point of view, he thinks, that we in Somaliland actually have no larger case to which to put forward to other than a basic grievance borne out by unfortunate civil war between the clans. Hence, it means, the sooner we end these talks between Somalia and Somaliland, and proceed to take matters into the terrain of a "political confrontation" they were always destined to arrived at, the better it will be for Somaliland's cause.

This is the issue in hand at the moment. Not his clan but his "political ideology". And how that is incompatible with what the talks were meant to achieve it (or at least resolve it). And in that sense, I am merely logically following what will be transparent soon enough for all concern. And in that sense, I am especially putting on the table the situations that we in Somaliland will face soon enough. Which is another way of saying, things will be clear, politically, for Somaliland. For, Mr Farmaajo, will bring a "daylight-clarity" that will lift the fog from the political calculation of Somaliland. And that should be something we in Somaliland should genuinely welcome it.

Oodweyne   

Haatu,

Saaxiib, I think you really are having a hard time in grasping the issue in here. And by that I mean, the issue, my friend, is not about "cuqdad" (or words to that effect). But, in fact, it's about the political ideology of Mr Farmaajo (as he cogently and succinctly explained it in his M.Sc Thesis, in which he written in America, when he did finished his graduate studies).

Moreover, ever since he came to the political scene in Somalia, he never once repudiated his old "political philosophy". Which means, during his time in the political scene, he still believed that Gen. Barre didn't do anything that was the cause of the collapse of the Somali state back in 1991. Hence it's sight of seeing someone (who is educated enough, like Mr Farmaajo) who still is in the position to believe there was noting politically and constitutionally, which had warranted the revolt of the then SNM's insurgencies other than the folks who were supporters of that outfit wanting to destroy the then Somali Republic at the behest of Ethiopia.

Which means, if that was his argument then (and still is, by all account) then I am afraid, the issue is about principles and how that principles inculcates a political discourse into him, which in turn will result the "dialogue of the deaf" between Somaliland and Somalia. And this is the reason I keep saying that his election will essentially be the clarifying action in-terms of how these endless talks needed to be end soon enough. Which is the reason I welcome his election.

As for the region that is lukewarm towards Somaliland's independence, one can say, it's not as you alleged in here, in the sense of us forcing anyone against their will. But, rather it's a complex reality of each sub-clan going this way, and another one going that way, while any minute, their political allegiance could change in the opposite direction. And on top of that, these regions are multi-clans, in the sense of these regions having a multiple clans, in which, as a result of it, it will be difficult to tell which clan these eastern regions belong to in totality, as opposed to accepting the difficulty in delineating where each clan's territories begins and where it end. Hence, its not as straight-forward as you think, my friend.

Oodweyne, I am not under-estimating the will of Sland folks, after all you have an entire generation who know nothing else but Somaliland. I am sure such generation will be more willing to sacrifice themselves.

What I am saying today's circumstances are different. Any attempt to force Harti tribes into seceding from Somalia will only end in tribal war. It will be long and nasty. What we have not two armies but civilians armed to teeth.

Oodweyne   

Well, Che, I beg to differ in here. In the sense that, firstly, Somaliland controls the majority of the land. And, secondly, when it comes to issue of Harti's clans, things are not as monolithic as you alleging in here. And, by that I mean, one of the good things that have happened in the last 25 years in these regions, is that, a whole generations of Harti youth come of age, who only know Hargeisa, Burco, Berberra and the rest of the Somaliland's territories.

And in fact, things of "Northern-centric-view" of the world that was in existence prior to 1960s, is gradually beginning take shape in the youth of the regions. And this perspective is taking the shape of Somaliland-centric estimation of all things politics. And, in fact, now you will get a real Harti's folks (in their 20s and 30s) who have been educated and brought up in places like Hargeisa and Burco and the rest of Somaliland, in which the notion of Somaliland is not an alien imposed concept into them. But something they have come an age with it.

Hence, I really admit, that, in the Diaspora, things are clear-cut against Somaliland. But, back home, we have done enough to "plant" (ideologically and politically) the acceptability of Somaliland in the minds of the future generations from these regions in question. And in that sense, I am not sure there is a monolithic Harti-land, that are adamant against Somaliland. Of course, the Cayn's region (or at least Buhodle) is exception to that scenario that I have painted for you.

But, I believe, taking that caveat and all in to considerations, at the end of the day, I believe, as things stand, Somaliland has a better chance of maintaining its grip on these regions than any lofty talks of Somali unionism will have in these regions. And, besides, Somaliland, has been ruling these regions, effectively, ever since 2007, without any larger uprising taking place. While at the same time, the gradual transformation of these communities into folks who at worse tolerate Somaliland's jurisdictional oversight of their territories, and at best, accept this reality wholeheartedly, seems to have taking place there. So I do not see the dire consequences you are prophesying in here.

galbeedi   

President Farmaajo was a prime minister and have seen the foreign run Somali government before, this is his second chance as the leader not the manager. The Somali people every where have shown him a good will and support toward him. If he succeeds, the whole Somali people will succeed.

I urge OOdweyne and others to give the man a chance to help the ailing Somali people every where. In Somaliand 1.5 million people are affected by drought and food shortage, the Berbera port have been sold to corrupt gulf leaders with few shillings. They may even want to being the disastrous Yemen war to our shores. It was Hassan Sheikh who signed that agreement. It was also a corrupt politician Named Ismaaciil Buuba who took part in the distribution the financial campaign to buy people from the opposition party of Wadani.I welcome the leadership of WAdani for rejecting the deal. We Somalis are all victims of our own policies. The Somali people through the parliament has spoken loud and clear, they have given the power to a new generation of leaders who does not bow to no body but to Somali people.

Farmaajo was elected because the people are tired of relay presidency that does not cure the problems. He did not use or called tribes during his campaign. He did not attack his opponents and other candidates, in fact he ran a positive campaign that appealed to the pride and hope of the people. I was one of those who wrote him off. I thought he was not prepared money wise or the MOgadishu game, but the Somali parliamentarians had another agenda. They wanted to show people how worthy they were of the position the were occupying at this juncture of the Somali history. They did what was right. They elected a Somali nationalist .

Hassan Sheikh, may Allah protect him , has done some tangible work for the last four years and we shall thank him for every good thing he done. His constant smile and positive attitude will be missed, yet he does not cure the physiological problems Somalia have endured for twenty five years. The nation could be poor, but the pride of the people and the nation must be maintained regardless of the wealth or poverty. While we value the help of our neighbors for their help against Al-shabaab, we believe that poor , weak and corrupt nations like Burundi or Sierra leone should not be substitute for Somali national army.

This election showed democracy in action in Somalia. People around the world have watched free men and women exercise their duty without coercion and intimidation. Somalis, it is a new day and a new beginning. Certainly you could celebrate every where. We really need this one to last.

May Allah help the new president and our people every where.

Oodweyne, I guess we fundamentally disagree where the loyalty of these young people would be. In any case, I hope there's no war. I hope to see common sense prevailing. The Somali nation can't afford any protracted conflict.

YoniZ   

Congrats to president Farmajo.

Rabi hala garab galo mas'uuliyada uu dhabarka u ritay.

Although I would have preferred more cool headed person to win this election, it not secret, Farmajo captured the hearts and minds of the common men. Nomads are tired of the stupidity of their politicians, and the never ending zero sum politics. No region is exempted from that demoralizing failed politics.

He will need to differentiate between campaign rhetoric and, running this divided country. He will need to be president for all , excel the art of political pragmatism and, build consensus rather than exploit the existing disagreements.

Oodweyne, I can tell you (to my big surprise) Farmajo became past 24 hrs, the most talked man in Hargeisa. The amount of the good will from everyone I have met in the city is staggering. That might explain your apocalyptic vision and, raise up to the arms roar.

Oodweyne   

YoniZ,

Saaxiib, telling yourself a decent lullaby, particularly of the kind that says Somaliland is in the grip of revival of Somali nationalism, when in fact they could easily see all around them as to where that old song had led it previously, is something you can indulge in to your heart's content. Particularly if you are incline that way, politically. But, to me, I really beg to differ in here.

In other words, that folks in Hargeisa, may wish for Somalia to turn the corner and finally join the respected nations of the world, which is something no one with a sane mind will begrudge it, is something that is understandable. And I am sure this sentiment will also be something that is easily or readily express in Somaliland.

But then to take that "human's goodwill" and then extrapolate it into a political expression of the kind you are alluding to, is really something that is fantastical as it's absurd to say the least. Which means, there are no throng of people in places like Hargeisa, who are in turn gagging for some kind of a political union with Somalia, no matter how much folks of your ilk, could wish to see such things.

Moreover, the issue at hand is clearly above your pay-grade, in the sense that one is not trying to say that it's all gloom and doom where the election of Mr Farmaajo is concern, particularly for Somaliland. But rather what one is trying to do is to analyse the political contours in which his "known philosophy" will lead him. At least if one where to go about in measuring his political orientation on the basis of his known arguments in which he deployed it in his M.Sc thesis.

Hence, all I was doing in here is merely to logically interrogate the whereof in which his articulated view of the Somali saga will take him, if here were to act on it now that he is a president.

And in that sense, it will be amiss for Somaliland to hope for the best from him, since he always indicated that he doesn't think we in Somaliland had any cause to take up arms against the then fascistic government his uncle have led. Much less had a reason which could explain as to why we have declared an independence from the rest of Somalia back in 1991. And now that he is the president of Somalia, it simply means that we must treat him according to his political estimation of our cause.

And for good measure, we must assume the talks that were supposed to be going on between Somalia and Somaliland, have now became a moot point. Since he is essentially someone who believes the talks are in effect a way for Somaliland to "re-fit" itself into his pseudo-federal government of Somalia.

Consequently, it will be better if both parties, going forward, assume that their political "irreconcilability" is something that is inherent in their respective world-view. And therefore act on it in the manner they think best suit their respective political interests. And that is what I was saying Somaliland should do now.

Oodweyne   

Libaaxa,

Long-time no see you around here. So, what is cooking with you, mate? As for Mr Farmaajo, that may be true, in so far as his lack of those elements you have mentioned are concern. But still all the same, we in Somaliland should proceed on the basis of frontal diplomatic action in hurrying this government in the councils of the world's forum.

This means one of the most lamentable mistake the current Kulmiye's government of Somaliland have made was to enter an open-ended talks with some passing transitional government in Somalia, back in 2011, just so that, Somaliland could get its share of the money Somalia was going to get from the international community (IC) in the form of the said "New Deal" for Somalia.

And, as a result of that, Somaliland's was given something call "Special Arrangement", in which the funding from the New Deal, particularly the part that was allocated to Somaliland would then come directly to Hargeisa, without the government of Somalia having a say so of that disbursement.

Now, at the time, I had a heated debate with my all sparring partner by the name of Mr Ngonge around here of SOL, whereby I was vehemently against that open-ended talks with Somalia without any international mediation if the talks fail, say after few rounds (which they were bound to do so, given the diametrically opposite position both parties hold, respectively).

And my friend, Mr Ngonge, thought that it was clever way of getting our cake and eating it, in the sense of while we are keeping our de-facto independence, we could at the same time be getting a slice of the funding Somalia was going to get under the "New Deal".

Moreover, my argument was that in this world nothing is free lunch. Which means, if you put your argument of independence on "suspension" while you are pursuing a lucrative financial input, then those who will give you that money will simply think that if push come to shove, you would prefer to be given money in exchange for you yo suspend your cause indefinitely.

And this, they will take it to mean that you would prefer to forgo the chance to get your independence from those same power who are dangling a carrot of money in front of you in-order to buy you off from your original agenda, if in return they give you enough money. This was the mistake the current government in Somaliland has made.

And I think they now learned their lesson of initiating this kind of open-ended dialogue with Somalia without having a firm terms of reference and a time table in which the talks was supposed to be concluded under it. As well as third party to sit in the room as the "mediating" party. Hence, Somaliland, will be ready now (particularly after its election) to proceed to enact a different dialogue of the kind that has all the salient points that have just mentioned to you. Or failing that, it will take the diplomatic initiative to compel the world to intervene in this "diplomatic log-jam" between Somalia and Somaliland.

In other words, Somaliland will not wait in wilderness in another five years while cooling its heels by taking part in a bogus talks that was never meant to finish, nor intended to be concluded with any tangible result. This is our bottom-line. And I assure you, as soon as we got our presidential election out of the way this year, then we shall take the diplomatic fight to this Mr Farmaajo's government, regardless of how much silky talk about his desire to talk with us in Somaliland, he says in the meantime.

Which means, if we are going to be talking with Somalia, henceforth, we will have to do it on a completely different paradigm than what hitherto has transpired in terms of the bogus talks that was supposed to be going between Somaliland and Somalia since 2011. Hence lets wait till we get our house in-order and elect a new government with a fresh mandate to "vacate", legally, that endless and open-ended fruitless talks that has been going on up to now. And then we will be in business.

Oodweyne   

Galbeedi,

Saaxiib, I think you have misunderstood my argument in here. Which was essentially about what Somaliland needs to do now that a new government is power in Mogadishu. And hopefully a new government will be elected this year in Somaliland as well.

Moreover, just because one wants Somaliland to be ready-to-go in dealing with this new government in Somalia, doesn't necessarily mean, that, one wants the worse for Somalia. And in that context, it's bit perverse for you to reference our discussion back to the blight of the Somalis, as if our discussion precludes any fellow-feeling we may have for our people.

In other words, we are not discussing the morality of what is incumbent on us. For that could be new thread, in which we can indulge in to our heart's contents, if we so desire to do so. But what I am actually trying to get at (and what this discussion was supposed to be about), is the implication - purely from theoretical point-of-view - that will result from the likely cause of action the new president in Somalia could choose to take. And that means, analyzing the issue in a fine-grain sense of what are the factors we know so far.

And in that sense, the "political ideology" of this new president is singularly pertinent into this discussion. And that means Somaliland will have to anticipate the likely counter-actions and counter-measures he is likely to take, if and when the two sides fall out with each other on the basis of their fruitless and endless talks. This is what I thought my argument was meant to convey. Hence if you failed to understand it then the fault was mine.

However if you understood it and still thought that my argument was less than what was required from us on the occasion of this election, then I can only say that you saw fit to read my argument while wearing a foggy "reading glasses" made out of an "ulterior motives" of your own making (or perhaps, of your own choosing). And that, as the Brits say, is not a cricket, dear friend.

Congrats to Farmajo. Hopefully he'll take advantage of this hysteria and build something upon it. Somalis are too emotional and once the emotions subside the same people cheering you today will hate you most tomorrow. I hope he won't carried away with this nationalistic fervor and start stupid fight with the international community. He needs to surround himself with cooler heads and good advisors (they are hard to come these days) and governed by consensus.

Feel bad for Malistar ;) wonder if he will continue supporting the new guy.