Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

PROFESSOR ENOW: A UNIQUE VOICE IN SOMALI HISTORY

galbeedi   

Prpf. Omar Enow, May Allah bless his soul. The truth really hurts. After listening his remarks, we Somalis should not accuse anyone of discrimination or bias, because we practice that better than anyone else.

I am not sociologist , but the issue of race always revolves about culture and economic power. If Africans were rich and technologically advanced like the Japanese, everyone probably would have claimed them. For example , in apartheid South Africa, the third world Chinese were considered colored, while the first world Japanese were equal with whites.

Another fact is we are culturally different than the Swahili Kenyan, the South African Zulu or the Nigerian Yoruba. I could even go further and say that the killing and murder of Somalis by South African masses has some racism and resentment. For example, we have something in common with the Ethiopian Christian than the Lebanese Christian, it is all about certain affinity. Here in the diaspora , I could get along with the Ethiopian, Sudanese or the people from east Africa , compared to the west Africans.

The Urban Jareer Somalis who shared both culture, religion and life style with other Somalis, could have easily married other Somalis. I have seen Somali women who married an Italia or French nationals and their families did not mind, probably for financial reasons.

Any way, the case of this professor is compelling and just. It is time we do some soul searching and move away from the primitive parts of our culture.

galbeedi   

I think the Gabooye thing could be eliminated easily if the new geeration of Somalis started inter-marrying. I do not know about you guys, but as a young man if I had met and liked a girl from that group, I would have married without question.

I brought to the diaspora myself, other than myself, who has the power to reject who I want to marry. If she is Muslim and Somali that is good enough. The best way to eliminate is for the so called sheikhs who keep talking about cloths and beard should tackle these social issues. Maybe they should lead by example and marry one themselves.

RIP, Never heard of him,

Thousands of these Somalis were given citizenship by Tanzania, few years ago.

Somalis should self reflect, they are as racist as white supremacy, and don't know about it