Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Somaliland marks 25 years of Independence a great day for the great Nation.

Today 25 years ago the people of Somaliland choose a different path a path to independence a path to build something from nothing. Today 25 years ago after a long brutal war for liberation it was hard it was not easy there were many struggles many challenges but the people of Somaliland due to their great genetic make up and their desire to achieve the fullest they never looked back the reason why 18 may is also greater than 26 June, equal important for the SL case of sovereignty how ever 18 may is the day the SNM generation corrected the mistake of our grandfathers in the 1950s and 1960s. Due to their Mistake we had to lose life change the history go into enormous length to achieve all of that fight our adversaries, alhamdulilah it is achieved today its a great i wish the people of Somaliland a great day celebrate today is a day of togetherness and Unity of our people. Long live the Holy nation of Somaliland and may we thank Allah for that he given us and that he wil give us in the near future.

13243871_263131580741103_435591221943413

13254560_1205840862799119_22946172675688

13240702_1205840972799108_63738564507241

13254564_1205841049465767_52573504360125

13256003_1205840799465792_66347313369393

May18flag.jpg

somaliland_beach.jpg

sir_isak.jpg

Every one celebrates in his own way cleaning is also good a day as 18 may need be very well cleaned before and after we celebrate and ofcourse its a good way to honer the land.

galbeedi   

It has been proclaimed throughout the land that this October 21 day will be celebrated only in Hargeisa and Beesha Dhexe zone. I have seen people organizing for June 26. Even Cirro is talking about scrapping this day.

On serious note a generation has passed with little achievements. If Somaliland is measuring itself with the war torn South Central Somalia, then it can celebrate the relative peace, freedom and meagre economic growth. On the other hand , if you measure your health care, education, employment, poverty reduction, infrastructure, government institution , economic growth and future outlook in any where in the world, then it is a quarter century of stagnation and false dream.

The people have done their best against the odds and the circumstances they found themselves for the last twenty years. They were law abiding , loyal and made personal sacrifices everything they achieved. I have still high hopes for the people including a united future with their brothers in the south.

Many years ago , around 1999, I did discuss a fervent secessionist about the future. He kept talking about the coming recognition , and I told him that , " Soomaalidu iyada oo jabtay oo qaxooti noqotay , oo kala firidhay , islamarkaana bisad u eeg haddii aqoonsi iman waayey , ma marka Soomaalidu nabad hesho ee shabeelku soo noqdo ayaad aqoonsi sugi".

Even last weekend , I did have a coffee with one of the Landers and he kept repeating that " waar Soomaali way ku deysay " . He was disappointed about the current situation in the south and he seemed to be resigned about the future of the Somali state. I told him that If South central Somalia was peaceful even five consecutive years , believe me we could see wonders. WE could see ten times what Somaliland achieved in for the last 25 years.

There is a lot going on in the horn of Africa, and Xaaji and company think the status quo will continue another 25 years. A different storm is gathering in the Somali inhabited lands , and if things do not change , Somaliland could be one of the first dominos to fall. As history has shown, Somali states or institutions, usually do not pass the first quarter century. Either corruption, incompetence or their greed will destroy them eventually.

Xaaji this is a time of reflection.

Tallaabo   

said:

You mean tomorrow is not xuska maalinta naafada :-)

Yes che, indeed it is the "day of cleaning" for those who do actually clean themselves and their surroundings only once in a year :-D

said:

It has been proclaimed throughout the land that this October 21 day will be celebrated only in Hargeisa and Beesha Dhexe zone. I have seen people organizing for June 26. Even Cirro is talking about scrapping this day.

On serious note a generation has passed with little achievements. If Somaliland is measuring itself with the war torn South Central Somalia, then it can celebrate the relative peace, freedom and meagre economic growth. On the other hand , if you measure your health care, education, employment, poverty reduction, infrastructure, government institution , economic growth and future outlook in any where in the world, then it is a quarter century of stagnation and false dream.

The people have done their best against the odds and the circumstances they found themselves for the last twenty years. They were law abiding , loyal and made personal sacrifices everything they achieved. I have still high hopes for the people including a united future with their brothers in the south.

Many years ago , around 1999, I did discuss a fervent secessionist about the future. He kept talking about the coming recognition , and I told him that , " Soomaalidu iyada oo jabtay oo qaxooti noqotay , oo kala firidhay , islamarkaana bisad u eeg haddii aqoonsi iman waayey , ma marka Soomaalidu nabad hesho ee shabeelku soo noqdo ayaad aqoonsi sugi".

Even last weekend , I did have a coffee with one of the Landers and he kept repeating that " waar Soomaali way ku deysay " . He was disappointed about the current situation in the south and he seemed to be resigned about the future of the Somali state. I told him that If South central Somalia was peaceful even five consecutive years , believe me we could see wonders. WE could see ten times what Somaliland achieved in for the last 25 years.

There is a lot going on in the horn of Africa, and Xaaji and company think the status quo will continue another 25 years. A different storm is gathering in the Somali inhabited lands , and if things do not change , Somaliland could be one of the first dominos to fall. As history has shown, Somali states or institutions, usually do not pass the first quarter century. Either corruption, incompetence or their greed will destroy them eventually.

Xaaji this is a time of reflection.

What a load of nonsense, iyo budhudhuuq there by galbeedi war ninku maba xiishoonayo little have been achieved Literacy has increased enormous religiously we have learned much of the religion post 1991. And ofcourse we have reconstructed a nation from scratch from zero. Somaliland in 1991 was all in reality in a post apocalyptic era. The people of Somaliland came together brick by brick it was build i was there in 1991 and i saw how hard it was when there was nothing.

So dont belittle our achievements. There is economic growth, there is a booming private sector, there are functioning institutions there is a democracy in place with the struggle we are trying our best in crease investments to create jobs even with the latest Berbera lease program with Dubai port these are all gradual steps the SL leadership is undertaking. You said a different storm is gathering from what corner exactly IOG is still the dictator in Djibouti afewerki is still the dictator in Asmara TPLF is still in control of Ethiopia. And the Koonfurians are butchering each other just yesterday a war started in beledweyne over 14 people dead. Alshabaab is still in place and Culuso and his cronies are still stealing aid for Somalia. So tell me where is this wind coming from and this change u speak off , your last sentence is just Wishful thinking or habaar, people like you and the wardheers bloggers were predicting prophesying the dooms day of SL , but on the contrary SL is stronger than ever its sons lead the nation it has al but closed down the border with Somalia, its enemies are broken,even the garowe clan enclave waxa laga dhigay bisad yaro oo xijaabaan. Somaliland is better off today it has never been better than today the future can only get better really. Somaliyadan aad is daba wadiid waleh iyagi ba isku taag the latest culusow refused to sign the garowe agreement. Alshabaab is still stronger than ever down south , gaal kalo ingriis ah na walo keeney oo ki hore badalay. Even kenya wants to distant it self from that war torn Somalia, caqliga anigu wuxu ii siin waaye Somaliland has problems unemployment and some poverty and good functioning infrastructure though in this department we are headed the right way when locals want to build their own roads and there are allot of fund raising projects going on in the west.

laakin waxa iga dhadhici weydey all solutions are in Mogadishu the war torn country,the most failed african state a country that suffers from multiple famines every few years where is no functioning government a country that is kept alive by UN bureaucrats and African union troops a government which isnt in control over its own destiny walaalkeen galbeedi wuxu ina layeehay dadkaas xita dumarkoodi carab nijaas ah khadamin ka dhiganayso kuwaas aynu wax ku darsano and everything will be fine,all our problems will be gone, and he says this with a straight face. Any way happy 18 may lets celebrate inta ka sakow i would have taken u serious Galbeedi if u were serious on solving the major challenges SL has , laakin ur solutions are lets go to Mogadishu xafaada wardhiigley aynu fadhisano Bantugu ha ino taliyo, i will never accept that and nor will the people of SL

have a great day

Mr Galbeedi,

You have no idea about the resolve of Somalilanders. These are people who have seen it all. An old saying goes "been there, done that and I have the bloody tshirt to prove it!".

If what you are talking about is 'Somalinimo', Somalilanders were the first to drink that cool-aid and its disgusting. If Unity is what you are after, again Somalilanders pedalled that wagon even after all 4 tyres were looted from it.

Now, that Somalilanders have moved on, looking in the rear mirror and seeing the smoltering ashes of what used to known as Republic of Somalia, to hope for them to return - no chance mate!

As with celeberating 25th Anniversary of restoring the soveriegnty of Somaliland, indeed it's a moment to pause and reflect upon, to celeberate and to remember the part 25 years. The 1st generation of Somalilanders born 1991 have their own kids today. In essense we have 2 generations today that do not know or have any idea that there was once a country called Somalia Republic. Unlike my generation who survived civilwars and refugee camps and braved to travel to distant countries for asylum, we now have two generations have had the opportunity to live in a country of their own peacefully.

Personally, I have no issues with being unrecognised after 25 years. I believe the lack of recognition why Somaliland has been successful. I also believe that Somaliland is not yet ready to be recognised. Somaliland needs to demonstrate that they are a people of the rule of law. I still do not see it, but I have the feeling that we are inching every year towards that goal. The people are now so accustomed to voting their leaders. Hopefully soon they will realise that they are the ulimate source of power and will dictate to those same leaders their terms of contract.

Without further ado, can I suggest you to wake up and 'dadkaaga baal ka raac' inta toobadda la iska aqbaalyo. :D

galbeedi   

Xaaji, Uma jeedo xalku Muqdishu ayuu jiraa. The centralized Somali state where business, jobs, education and power was concentrated in Mogadishu is not the answer. Definitely the people of Somaliland came from a long way. As our friend Suldaanka said, they went through refugee camps and all other hardships. That is way they are a resilient group.

Also their pride for what they have, regardless of how big or small it is mind boggling. Any decent person must congratulate the people for what they have done. The main issue is that the people of Somaliland could do more, while keeping their achievements.

Of course my tone of propagating unity does not mean that you must import insecurity and political domination from Mogadishu. You are right unlike October 21, people in Hargeisa are celebrating without competition. My point is You could bring the so called capital to Hargeisa, provide Somaliland soldiers to help secure the people , and rather than allow Ugandan and Ethiopian forces to keep prolonging the conflict you could help your fellow Somalis.t. Why not dream big ?, why not take charge.

Yes, celebrate what you have achieved, but remember, you do not live in a vacuum or an island. The fire in your neighbor's house may ingulf you someday if you don't rush to extinguish the fire.

When the Great Darwiish was defeated by the british, people who hated or considered the Darwiish their enemies celebrated including a man by the name of Cali Jamac Habiil who was the maternal cousin of Sayidka.

Cali jaamac Said:

Waa lagu digtaa ruux haduu ku darnaan jiraye

bal dayaay waa kaas wadaadkii sii dabayshadaye.

Another great poet who was based in the british headquarters or base in Berbera , resented the tone and the celebration of the defeat of the " Daraawiish".

Salaan carabay lamented about the defeat and the disappearance of the barrier wall that and he said:

Derbi buu ahaa dan dugsanayey..

galbeedi   

Just watch your neighbouring countries and their GDP. We are talking about over $50 billion with the B. If you subtract the foreign donations, Somaliland budget is less than $!50 million. As someone who understands economic power and global trade , Somaliland is peanuts.

Yes you did okay but, what is your outlook of the future. You will think differently unless you do not mind the domination of your neighbors countries. The Southerners does not own the Somalia we keep discussing, it belongs to all.

Saalax   

Somaliland came a long way but I agree that is still not

enough. We need to crackdown on corruption, create jobs

for youth, invest in infrastructures, build factories and increase

the GDP. Also we should ban khat.