Sign in to follow this  
AbdiJohnson

Your child's last name

How is this determined?

My last name is my grandfather's fathers name.

Would I give my future kids my last name? Would I give them my name?

Do I change my last name to my fathers name and give them my name as their last name?

Do you share the same last name as your father?

somalee   

We don't have the concept of "last name" in our culture. Somalis do the abtirsi which goes on and on and on... :-D but as a rule in Somali culture, when somebody asks for your "Full names", Magacaagoo buuxa/dhameystiran you are supposed to give exactly 3 names. Yours, your father's and your grandfather's. So normally a "last name" will be the grandfather's name, your kid's last name is therefore your father's name. You don't need to "give" the kid his second, or third names. Those are already there. Just worry about what name to give it..

I'm about to have my first child and I'm confused about how to officially write it.

So if my name is Sharmarke Ali Guled

And my new born son's name is Dayax ...please attach his last name for me ...I'm talking about Western tradition

Would it be

Dayah S Ali?

It should be common knowledge by now that the western use of "last names" does not jive well with our ancestral lineage naming and counting system.

So with that in mind; since your child's full Somali name is Dayax Sharmarke Ali, I believe it should remain so, no matter who will get confused about why he does not share the same "last name" as you do, according to the nomenclature used in western countries!

On the other hand, if you wish to become a westernized Langaab who wishes to renege on his Somali heritage, then be all means... pick your grandfather's name as a "last name" and pass it on from generation to generation.

The choice is yours. :D

<cite>
said:</cite>

It should be common knowledge by now that the western use of "last names" does not jive well with our ancestral lineage naming and counting system.

So with that in mind; since your child's full Somali name is Dayax Sharmarke Ali, I believe it should remain so, no matter who will get confused about why he does not share the same "last name" as you do, according to the nomenclature used in western countries!

On the other hand, if you wish to become a westernized
Langaab
who wishes to renege on his Somali heritage, then be all means... pick your grandfather's name as a "last name" and pass it on from generation to generation.

The choice is yours.
:D

Why insult me bro! What's this langab talk? I'm ciidagale bro !