Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Somali Journal Launches Without any Somali Voices, Highlighting Another Case of White Privilege in Academia - By Huda Hassan

I just can't fathom why you guys are defending this white dude. His comments were clearly condescending and borderline insult to Somalis as a whole. It's also mind boggling to see the length some would go and attack the girl who started this discussion.

War ninkaa haddaad u boroor diiqaysaan, orda oo private message u dira!

bilan   

I can't believe some of you are defending this man, he insulted entire Somali speaking population, well done safia.

I've read this thing on FB and on other Somali sites and still don't get it.

Maybe I am lil slow on the uptake, but why are people getting upset over this thing though?

bilan   

I believe she was tired about people talking and writing about Somali and their culture like we don't exist, this guy launched a journal without bothering consulting with the Somalis who are in the field, and when he was questioned about his omissions, he said that basically you don't have anyone who is good enough.

<cite>
said:</cite>

I believe she was tired about people talking and writing about Somali and their culture like we don't exist, this guy launched a journal without bothering consulting with the Somalis who are in the field, and when he was questioned about his omissions, he said that basically you don't have anyone who is good enough.

Gotcha, thanks.

Well at least we got our Safferz on the case. :)

somali-journal-launches-without-any-somali-voices-highlighting-another-case-of-white-privilege-in-academia-body-image-1427922414.jpg

That picture is amusing.:) To me, that imagery conveys a message of dominance, detachedness and self-importance. It is a great picture to highlight the current institutional arrangement when it comes to knowledge production.