Sign in to follow this  
Holac

Nick Kay and EU statements on the political crisis in Mogadishu

Holac   

UN Envoy to Somalia expresses deep concern over political tensions, urges unity and continuity

Mogadishu, 2 November 2014 – The Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General (SRSG) for Somalia, Nicholas Kay, has expressed deep concern over the political tensions between President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud and Prime Minister Abdiweli Sheikh Ahmed, which puts at risk the country’s efforts to achieve critical political targets set out in Vision 2016.

“The United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia remains committed to fulfilling its mandate to assist Somalia to achieve federalism, a new constitution and elections by September 2016, as set out in the Provisional Federal Constitution and Vision 2016,” SRSG Kay said. “I call on all parties to seek a mutually satisfactory compromise that will allow Somalia’s political and security progress to continue without interruption.”

“I recognise the dedication and hard work of Members of Parliament, but I am concerned about allegations of some MPs being asked to exchange votes for cash in the context of a potential ‘No Confidence’ motion, which is a disservice to Somalia's progress towards accountability and transparency,” he added. "Somalia and Somalis deserve better.”

Mr. Kay repeated recent calls by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon for political unity and continuity at the highest level of the Federal Government of Somalia, and noted that any action by any party that creates political turmoil would be reported to the UN Security Council, who will be notified that such action risks spoiling the prospect of implementing Vision 2016.

“I continue to offer the use of my good offices to seek a compromise; we are working very closely with the African Union Mission in Somalia, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, the European Union, Ethiopia, the United Kingdom, the United States and many others in search of a solution,” he added.

Holac   

It is such a shame when foreigners preach our legislators to not take bribe money. Our dirty laundry is out in the open with all to see.

galbeedi   

There is no reason to fire the Prime Ministry. He didn't break the law nor did he became incompetent. Under his command the system is functioning well, al-shabaab is cornered , the intelligence agencies are on the offensive capturing and taking the war to them.

if there is an impeachment what is the reason behind it or what would be the allegations. You can't impeach the prime minister for disagreeing or shuffling the cabinet. if he is abusing his power, then fix the problem and reason with him. for the interest of the Somalis , Mr. President swallow your ego and pride and work with this man. or else ' labadiinuba waad dhaafatsaan ummadda.

Somalia can't have a prime minister every single year. that is unacceptable. if impeachment comes both of them will leave.

<cite>
said:</cite>

There is no reason to fire the Prime Ministry. He didn't break the law nor did he became incompetent.

1) The Prime Minister broke the law with the Puntland agreement. That was unconstitutional.

2) He had every right to replace Faarax. But, in doing so, he picked a political fight with the president.

3) He will lose that political fight because he doesn't have the support or the resources to buy it.

End of story.

<cite>

It is such a shame when foreigners preach our legislators to not take bribe money. Our dirty laundry is out in the open with all to see.

Holac, let me help you----FUCK NICHOLAS KAY AND HIS THOUGHTS.

Mooge   

^^ fighting for his corrupt friend and dragging the country through mud so that his friend can get his job back will not save him. niyoow, get your priorities straight and tell your HAG family to get their acts together. this is the most nonsense ever. they are willing to destroy the country if their friend is sacked.

stop using Puntland as an excuse. if you wish all of Mudug to come under your uncle qaybdiid, you must be a dreamer living inside a swimming pool. lool.

caqli xumaa dadan niyoow.

<cite>

^^ fighting for his corrupt friend and dragging the country through mud so that his friend can get his job back will not save him. niyoow, get your priorities straight and tell your HAG family to get their acts together. this is the most nonsense ever. they are willing to destroy the country if their friend is sacked.

stop using Puntland as an excuse. if you wish all of Mudug to come under your uncle qaybdiid, you must be a dreamer living inside a swimming pool. lool.

Way off base. But i'll indulge.

I am not saying what the president is doing is right. I am saying it DOES NOT MATTER if it is right.

It's politics. Power politics.

Puntland and Mudug are crucial because:

(1) The PM signed an agreement with PL that made him a target for the so-called Central State stakeholders.

(2) The agreement gave these MPs from Central region reason to oust him and invalidate Garowe agreement.

(3) Also, Sakiin and SW state were already in the president's camp.

So where does that leave the PM? Out of a job when the motion comes.

If the PM understood politics, he would've signed the Garowe agreement AFTER sacking Faarax.

<cite>

Way off base. But i'll indulge.

I am not saying what the president is doing is right. I am saying it DOES NOT MATTER if it is right.

It's politics. Power politics.

Puntland and Mudug are crucial because:

(1) The PM signed an agreement with PL that made him a target for the so-called Central State stakeholders.

(2) The agreement gave these MPs from Central region reason to oust him and invalidate Garowe agreement.

(3) Also, Sakiin and SW state were already in the president's camp.

So where does that leave the PM? Out of a job when the motion comes.

If the PM understood politics, he would've signed the Garowe agreement AFTER sacking Faarax.

First of all, don't count your chickens before they're hatched saaxiib. The reflective powers of Yuulka's bald head is still blinding and dazzling Damjiid with all their Arab terrorist monies and corrupt MPs in Xamar, and they are yet unable to bring forth this so-called holy grail of a Motion in parliament to oust the PM.

Secondly, like Culusow, I believe you're giving way too much credence to the capabilities of our lame duck parliament, which at the moment, is nothing more than a place holder for the real parliament which will be established in 2016.

Thirdly, even if a motion to oust the current PM were to be brought to parliament...there is a precedence that was set by the Kampala talk between former President Sharif and his then PM, Farmaajo, that I believe will handicap Culusow in ousting Yuulka.

And finally, Culusow does NOT have the support of the international community which protects and funds him in Villa Somalia-- so to insist on this churlish move to oust a PM for merely an individual whose portfolio was switched, is a bit like biting the hand that feeds you.

For these reasons and the general incompetence of Culuosow, I believe Yuulka is staying put!

That the fellas from the central provinces don't like that the PM signed an agreement that the SFG will respect the constitution and will not mess with North Mudug is neither here nor there. That Sharif Sakiin is very eager to receive his Motion money does not cut it either.

What counts is... who is right?(although you say otherwise)

You have Yuulka using the constitution--making a huge and impenetrable redoubt of it-- and then you have Culusow, who-- like a headless chicken-- is all over the place.

So every right thinking person can foresee where this political fight uu ku biyo shuban doono :D

<cite>

First of all, don't count your chickens before they're hatched saaxiib. The reflective powers of Yuulka's bald head is still blinding and dazzling Damjiid with all their Arab terrorist monies and corrupt MPs in Xamar, and they are yet unable to bring forth this so-called holy grail of a Motion in parliament to oust the PM.

Secondly, like Culusow, I believe you're giving way too much credence to the capabilities of our lame duck parliament, which at the moment, is nothing more than a place holder for the real parliament which will be established in 2016.

Thirdly, even if a motion to oust the current PM were to be brought to parliament...there is a precedence that was set by the Kampala talk between former President Sharif and his then PM, Farmaajo, that I believe will handicap Culusow in ousting Yuulka.

And finally, Culusow does NOT have the support of the international community which protects and funds him in Villa Somalia-- so to insist on this churlish move to oust a PM for merely an individual whose portfolio was switched, is a bit like biting the hand that feeds you.

For these reasons and the general incompetence of Culuosow, I believe Yuulka is staying put!

That the fellas from the central provinces don't like that the PM signed an agreement that the SFG will respect the constitution and will not mess with North Mudug is neither here nor there. That Sharif Sakiin is very eager to receive his Motion money does not cut it either.

What counts is... who is right?(although you say otherwise)

You have Yuulka using the constitution--making a huge and impenetrable redoubt of it-- and then you have Culusow, who-- like a headless chicken-- is all over the place.

So every right thinking person can foresee where this political fight
uu ku biyo shuban doono
:D

Till,

I appreciate a cohesive response. There aren't too many on this site. I can't disagree with your arguments, simply because we're both speculating. Underlying your reasoning is that the constitution and protocol has any credence. I say it doesn't. It's all about alignment and the PM is standing on the wrong side for now. Quite simply, no one cares about the constitution. But it is a convenient excuse for both sides. Sure, the international community can yell. But they can't stop this motion. Unless, they have "mooshin money." Sure, Hassan may lose in 2016. But there is no way that he will not remove the PM.

That's my prediction. Now we wait.

<cite>

Underlying your reasoning is that the constitution and protocol has any credence. I say it doesn't.

Quite simply, no one cares about the constitution.

But it is a convenient excuse for both sides.

Au contraire saaxiib, this constitution is isbaaro proof and there's too much at stake for the Somali people to allow Damjadiid to play games with it. And this ain't no "speculation" :D

By the by, what is this alignment that you speak of and how is the PM standing on the wrong side for now? I strongly believe the PM chose to pick this political showdown over Faarax precisely because he is confident that it is within his constitutional powers to shuffle his cabinet as he deems necessary, come what may.

Bottom line is... Culusow overreacted and now he is making bigger mistakes than merely wanting to oust the PM illegally.

As you said, we shall wait and see... But Culusow cant't oust his PM!

<cite>

Au contraire saaxiib, this constitution is
isbaaro
proof and there's too much at stake for the Somali people to allow Damjadiid to play games with it. And this ain't no "speculation"
:D

Haha no, it isn't. It's a dream.

It's truly disappointing but I don't think the "somali people" or the "constitution" will be speaking in that room when 275 men and women gather to take a vote.

The only thing that will be present is the same thing that has been present every time a no-confidence vote has been raised against a PM.

I hope the PM defeats a motion if it is better for the nation. Perhaps, it may show that things have changed for the better.

We all know that these MPs have done nothing but be a rubber stamp for Damjadiid. Granted Damjadiid uses money, but it is known that even MPs who refuse to go along with their agenda find themselves being killed Mafia style.

Which is why the international community and the Somalis that want to see Somalia move forward refuse to allow the country to be held hostage by Damjadiid, which is nothing more than Al Shabab in suits.

Therefore, no motion will ever see the day of light in front of this cabal of corrupt or afraid MPs...and this is why Culusow lashed out at the UN yesterday--whose tanks and planes he uses to travel the country.

If Culusow is serious about removing this PM, then he should use the same constitution that is protecting Yuulka. Culusow must himself resign and thereby take down Yuulka and all the rest of the executive branch down with him! That is, of course, if he is really serious about the continuity of Damjadiids warped political agenda. But if he isn't and cares more about his own power and prestige, then he should just shut up, sit back and let Yuulka run his cabinet however he pleases!

Odey   

News just in- odey Culusow and Sakin were taped handing "mooshin" money like candy to the MP's. Culusow as usual over-reacted to Kay and the proof was shown to him- emailed no less!.

The mp's who had accepted the bribes were also contacted and are for the moment hiding from Culusow. There has been a resurgence of support for the PM amongst the parliametarians who see this as an opportunity to break the backbone of Damjadid and are actively working towards halting the "mooshin".

At the same time , Jawaari has decided to throw his lot with the PM as a protest over what he sees as the president's support for sharif sakiin.

The situation is fluid and the previous celebration by the culusow camp has been premature. It is now getting interesting.