Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Abdiwali Gas Bringing His Americanism to Somalia

Miyir   

most ordinary Somalis pay indirect tax such as security,health, education,social benefits for less fortunate family and friends, if the government is going to provide those services im sure most people would be more than happy to pay taxes and the burden will be shared all, unfortunately tax collected go to very few corrupt politicians, the government needs to show the tax it collects is not abused by few corrupted vultures? tall order

Taxing NGO i like to see that, all NGO funds go to pay salaries especially outsiders and expenses, almost 90% of the funds they collect are used administration expenses, they hardly spend any money locally or the programs they supposed to fund, some of the Tax they pay could help the locals as they failed to do so, some justice at last!

galbeedi   

If impe ere are ey , this could bring millions of dollars for Puntland treasury. begging from the west i raised in this way.

good luck..

Mooge   

We must tax every NGO bloodsucker. No more getting away with lavish money while state taxes soldiers and police. no way.

galbeedi   

I apologize for the errors. I think if implemented it could bring millions to Puntland treasury. C/weli knows taxation is the key. Mooge, I agree. these Ngo must pay. Every million they spend will be taxed. Their salaries must be taxed..

That is where the money is. I think this C/weli guy is proactiv. introducing new ideas is essential. That is why Somaliland must get rid of the old guard and get new modern leaders.

Galbeedi, NGO-ooda Soomaali dhuuni ah baa horjooga, Soon enough, they will complain their bosses and donors.

By the way, I would like to see Abdiwali explaining sin tax to the public hehe.

Mooge   

galbeedi, if you work for NGO in Europe or USA, don't you have to pay taxes? Somali poeple were not thinking straight because wadanka waxa xukumay NGOs. abdiweli is not NGO and he is introducing new rules.

abdiweli wants to register every NGO and number of employees it has. NGO will not lie about their workers because they will get in trouble with their own countries in the West.

once they register their empolyees and declare each employer's salary, abdiweli will give them their tax rate and they will have to deposit that into state bank. they will have to withhold that tax and deposit into government bank in that way the worker will not be chased for taxes.

it is brilliant idea which is how they do in the west.

galbeedi   

That is smart. let them deposit in the bank. Che, the sin tax will come. I am not talking about alcohol, but Khat and cigarette. Here in Canada, 65% of value of the cigarette is tax.

So he may bring that too.

What about a xawaalad tax? I know most of the people in Puntland deal with money-transfer companies, and if the Puntland government takes a small percentage of the money as a "tax", that could also go a long way in raising revenue for the Puntland government.

The Somalis from the USA and Canada aren't gonna stop sending money to their relatives back home. So why not tax it, at a very reasonable rate? Maybe 5%-10% tax or something like that

Mooge   

DoctorK, that is great idea niyoow. 1 billion dollar reaches somalia every year through xawilaad. 30% of that goes to Puntland and if they tax that money, it will be big income niyoow close to 15 million niyoow. that would be great income for state rebuilding. if everyone doesn't contribute, you will forever be begging the west. we must help our land and collect taxes.

Also Mooge, Why doesn't the Puntland Government set up a tax collection system where even foreigners such as myself can contribute to Puntland's government?

Like, set up an Online Banking account using Wells Fargo or Bank of America, and then allow Somalis from the USA or Canada to send like 100 dollars a month towards Puntland's government.

I know it sounds silly, but even if ONE Somali-American sends money to the Government like that, then it's worth the effort.

The Jews of America support Israel. Why can't we Somalis in America support Somalia?

Ultimately, the successful implementation of a just tax regime will depend on the accountability of the government.

I assure you, the only way am gonna pay taxes to this government is when I see my money being spent on the progress of the nation and people, and I know where every dime is being spent.