Sign in to follow this  
Homunculus

Somali Poet Ladan Osman wins the 2014 Sillerman Prize

Ladan Osman

Somali Poet Ladan Osman has won this year’s Sillerman First Book Prize for African poetry with her collection, The Kitchen Dweller’s Testimony. This follows from last year’s inaugural win by Kenyan Clifton Gachagua for his Madman at Kilifi.

Readers of this blog will not be strangers to my love for Somali literature and this win by another Somali following Warsan Shire’s Brunel African poetry prize win last year, goes to remove all doubt about the art of that country in the east. I’m elated there is a new Somali poet whose works I will be looking forward to and reading through the year. Read my post Celebrating Somalia (yes, Celebrating!) and the poem I Think About you, Mogadishu.

it's no wonder they have awarded her. they will never reward alternative viewpoints. she's written a denigrating book about our culture. it's an aptly titled book as it probably suggests. although, i've yet to read this book, i'm quite sure, it'll conform to all the stereotypes about being a Black, Muslim, Woman in the west. she'd be a lot hotter, if she wore a hijab.

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

it's no wonder they have awarded her. they will never reward alternative viewpoints. she's written a denigrating book about our culture. it's an aptly titled book as it probably suggests. although, i've yet to read this book, i'm quite sure, it'll conform to all the stereotypes about being a Black, Muslim, Woman in the west. she'd be a lot hotter, if she wore a hijab.

YOU SHOULD READ THE BOOK FIRST BEFORE PASSING JUDGMENTS, DON'T YOU THINK?

null

<cite>
said:</cite>

YOU SHOULD READ THE BOOK FIRST BEFORE PASSING JUDGMENTS, DON'T YOU THINK?

no thanks. i don't want to read this crap!

every successful Somali woman has abandoned us for her own rational self-interest. their efforts are solely concentrated on insulting our beautiful culture. if they're not insulting our culture, they cease to exist.