Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Inspired by Somalia's famine, fourteen year old Chase Lewis invents a cheap device that helps mothers carry sick children long distances

Admin   

Orig_Chase_RaleighIn the last few years, Chase Lewis has patented two life-saving inventions, been a finalist in five national science competitions, and earned the Presidential Volunteer Service Silver Award. Oh, and he’s only 14 years old. Lewis, who is homeschooled, has long been interested in science and inventions.

“My grandfather was an aeronautical physicist who worked on the Apollo program,” Lewis said. “I’ve gotten to spend some time with him, and we talk about science and inventions all the time.”Just last year, Lewis came in first in the ePals/Smithsonian Invent It Challenge and won a patent application for his entry, the Rescue Travois. The Rescue Travois is a cheap device that Lewis created in order to help individuals carry sick or injured people long distances easily. Lewis came up with the idea after reading about the famine in Somalia and how parents weren’t able to carry their sick children to hospitals and refugee camps.This year, he won again for his age group, and patented a football shaped canister that would allow first-responders to throw smoke masks up to people stuck in building fires.“I was thinking I would do something with fire retardants, but then I thought about the unfortunate fact that most people die from smoke inhalation before the fire fighters can even get to them,” Lewis said.Then, with the help of his 3-D printer, which he bought with competition prize money, Lewis thought up and printed his football canister. The canister has even caught the attention of Xcaper Industries, a company that manufactures smoke masks.Though Lewis has a special passion for science and inventing, he attributes a lot of his success to the flexibility he has in being homeschooled.“For all this time I’ve been home-schooled, I’ve had the ability to work on anything and everything I want to as long as it doesn’t kill me or somebody else,” Lewis said. “I’ve been able to grow up in a hands-on environment where I can tinker, and I’ve learned that the real-world has a lot of character that you won’t be able to find in an online world.”Next up for Lewis? No big deal, he's just been working on ways to improve current military body armor. Tony Stark, watch out, you may just be getting some real-life competition.Source: http://wunc.org

http://www.somaliaonline.com/inspired-by-somalias-famine-fourteen-year-old-chase-lewis-invents-a-cheap-device-that-helps-mothers-carry-sick-children-long-distances/

Atirisho   

Not very practical, is it?

It is fine on the even, paved roads of the West, but how is this "invention" going to work on the uneven, mountainous, rocky, and unpaved roads/land of Somalia?

This looked like poorly designed "kareto" to me. Nothing new here.

Orig_Chase_Raleigh.jpg

^ this is offensive. did they randomly select little black children to test the device? they wouldn't be able to get away with this in the politically correct obsessed UK media....

i wonder how many little famine children this device could carry?

YoniZ   

Well the trend goes on for beating up that near dead body. The adults had their time and passed it to the teenagers fiction sessions.

I remember not so long ago, an International NGO fat cat boasting $35 worth gear his 14 year old son benevolently designed for poor Somali old Marshal at Kismayo airport, after seeing moving AMISOM (aka the parasites of Somalia) documentary.

http://puntlandi.com/canadian-family-donates-kit-to-kismayu-airport-marshaller-in-somalia/

I hope this ridiculous trend to stop, and this near dead body rise and give all those fame seeking crappy souls the middle finger.