Sign in to follow this  
M-sadiiq3

Somalis: The Trouble with This Homogenous Society

Somalis: The Trouble with This Homogenous Society

By Mohamed M. Bakayr

Homogeneity cannot salvage and bind a helpless society together when tribalism, lack of nationalism and dictatorship attitudes undermine every effort aimed at reviving a society whose map is seemingly disappearing from the globe. Somalis are said to be a homogenous nation, yet their homogeneity has not helped them overcome their prolonged woe.

A society is considered to be a homogenous society when it is tightly-knit and its members have many things in common. Undeniably, the Somali people have many things in common: They are all Sunni-Muslims, they all speak the same language (Somali), and they all share the same culture and customs. However, all these components have not helped the Somali people strive toward one common goal. Consequently, their knot has not been binding, simply because they prefer clannish ideologies, personal interests and dictatorship attitudes to national aims and cohesive aspirations.

Tribalism has plunged the Somali society into this catastrophic situation that it is going through today. The society’ tribalism has thus far defied all kinds of norms and logic; it is a tribalism that knows no boundaries, has no limits and shies away from nothing. The embedded, infinite tribalism has prevented the Somali people from agreeing on anything or collaborating on any important issue. Moreover, and because of tribalism, they have been unable to agree upon any iconic figure (nowadays it is believed that there isn’t an agreed upon iconic figure among the Somali people), whether that iconic figure is a religious leader, a seasoned politician, a highly educated person or a traditional leader. Apparently, the Somali logic only knows one thing and one thing alone: my clan, my clan’s interest, my clan’s politician, my clan’s warlord, and perhaps my clan’s spiritual leader. Unfortunately, clannish ideologies have blinded a large bulk of this ill-fated society whose problems have proven to be beyond repair.

Nationalism is an unvalued term by many Somalis at this time in history. One can be called a nationalist when one prefers the integrity, interest and identity of his nation to everything else. Unlike current generations, Somalis’ forefathers valued nationalism, longed for independence and put their unity above everything else. In his book “Somali Nationalism: International politics and the drive for unity in the Horn of Africa” published in 1963, Saadia Touval writes: “Thus Somali nationalism springs not from any influence of or reaction to colonial rule, nor is it due to any absorption of the political outlook and ideas of the west; rather, it arises from essentially homegrown nature of the Somali people.” The nationalism that the author is writing about is not in sight today, but what is in sight is a tribal society whose aims and interests are traveling in different directions.

And it is needless here to revisit those once valued dreams and aspirations treasured by Somalis’ forefathers and freedom fighters. Unfortunately, the terms “Somalism, nationalism and unity” have already become laughable issues, and one might only resurrect these terms when one desires to be frowned at. In addition, a flag that once was a symbol of an identity, hope and inspiration has now lost its effect and become a controversial issue. Rather, terms such as Somaliland, Puntland, Jubbaland and Banadirland are more valued than the terms “Somalism, nationalism and unity”, terms mortified by continual hostilities, brutality and a lack of vision. Instead of coming together and trying to reinstate their lost integrity and position that they once had in the world, the Somali people pride themselves on individualistic interests and opt for spending too many efforts and too much time in disunity and clan based politics.

Loss of an identity and pride are two themes that run deep in Somalis’ lives, whether they are in their homeland or overseas. Somalis’ unity has been dissolved, their hearts have been driven apart and their differences have remained unbridgeable. When one pays close attention to the condition of current Somalis, one withdraws into a gruesome situation, unable to dissect how the people’s condition has reached to this terrible point.

Most Somalis are imbued with superficial, self-important attitudes, and each group is proud of their own. Disrespectful manners and dictatorship attitudes are prevailing characteristics among many Somalis. Listening to someone and disagreeing with their standpoint is one thing, but muzzling others and ignoring their opinions is another thing. It is said that Somalis are oratos, but not good listeners. In fact, listening and speaking are two inseparable skills that go hand in hand and complement one another. “Let us talk means let us reach a solution” is a Somali adage, whose meaning alludes to the fact that when human beings dialogue with one another and listen to each respectfully, they are likely to come up with a solution for some of their problems.

The Somali people can regain their integrity and lost position if they break free from their irrational tribalism, selfish interests and dictatorship attitudes. Let one hope that the Somali people will reel from their misery which they have been going through for many years by shunning many trivial things that have spoiled their lines. If Somalis’ aspirations and goals are not united, how they can have a common enemy or a close friend? No solution can be reached when Somalis are enemies to each other and unable to mend their differences peacefully, but if the Somali people choose to collaborate on fundamental issues to reinstate their unity and integrity, they will hopefully reach a durable solution.

Mohamed M. Bakayr

Source: http://www.hiiraan.com/op2/2007/july/somalis_the_trouble_with_this_homogenous_society.aspx

Good points i have said it before because Somalis share the same characteristics they cant get along, u need more than shared religion and a share a language to build nation. U need to have the same plight the same history the same interest the desire to be together at all cost , Somalis have no shared interest as it seems and no shared history , the Somali republic only lasted for 30 years 21 years was under a harsh dictatorship forced to remain together and 9 years civilian government. Somali nationalism is based on ethno nationalism it has nothing to do with the Land the rest of Africa its about the land and the people who live in the land. Somali nationalism is about ethno nationalism for Somalis they dont feel the need to pledge allegiance to an ethno nationalism, its unsomali Somalis in the 19 and 18 century and the 17 century never were preoccupied with ethno nationalism, the Tribalism is not the real issue it always exist but its because Somalis dont give each other the space they all want to subdue each other sooner or later they will annihilate each other. Somalis shoot first and think about the consequences much later. Somalis have not lost their identity a Somali from Kenya feels like he is Somali and Kenyan a Somali from Djibouti feels like he is a Somali and Djibouti a Somali from Ethiopia feels Ethiopian and Somalia. A Somali from Somaliland feels Somaliland and Somali a Somali from Puntland feels Somali and Puntland a Somali from Mogadishu feel somali and Somalia but Somalis are just fractured i think its their nature this is how they were before 19 century to

certain sectors see gov't as means to be rich and grab others land.They often talk too much about nationalism in disguise, we saw that too often.

First solution is anyone busy himself with nationalist ideas should be dragged to jail.Secondly let go anyone chose to be separate and that includes all those below Mogadishu as you certainly focus only on Somaliland.Only when we truthful to our selves & shelf what didn't work can we aspire to reach certain goals.

The answer is starring you in the face. Te five pointed star represents Somalia, somaliland, djoubti, fifth region and NFd.

Does the five pointed star represent puntland, jubaland, banadorland etc what the writer was referring to.

That is a step one mistake and contributes to the false perception many have of the notion of justice.

Secondly: somaliland came to Somalia prior to 1960 and preached the notion of somaliweyn the Italian Somalis having had there culture mafiased by the Italians were not really bothered an were perplexed by these people who were so Adament at wanting unity.

After unity, he fifth region was lost, djoubti saw the state of somaliland after the union and decided going alone was better and NFd was lost.

The dictatorship turned on the last union that with somaliland and the policies in place led to movements such as the SNM who in turn destroyed the central government.

So the writer although writing a long article on nationalism doesn't actually have a clue.

Somalis need to respect history. Somaliweyn was built to unit all somali speaking people's if three of the 5 are lost then I see no benefit of union with Somalia.

Xaaji Xuunjuf. Walal good points i agree with you the most points but when it comes to history i have to say all somalis share the same history. We know all of this from folk tales and poetry and even written documents from the Adal/Ifat sultanate and Ajuuran Empire, somalis used to be united when it comes to war and defending their strong holders,like the CONQUEST OF HABASHA, THE WARS OF GAALO MADOOW, THE DEFEND OF BARAWE, THE RECONQUEST OF DAKKAR etc, all of these historical moments tell us we have the same history. But the biggest problem as i see is the lack of historical knowledge which may have made nationalism a part of the somali identity.

burahadeer walal i'm not focusing only on Somaliland but generally all somalis. WHat you said is true that the government disguises with nationalism and that is the lack of sincerity and corruption is in there hearts. The Government is the people and the people are the government, the government shall always be what it's citizens are, so the somalis people are all corrupted and insincere. DONT JUST BlAME THE GOVERNMENT.

CIDAN SULTAN walal On the issue of history as i know it was all of the somali people who wanted to unite under one flag and it wasn't one part who wanted it,,and the history hasn't began from 1960s .......the bigger picture here is somalis and not a matter of Somaliland Or Somalia and let's forget about the five star. If you don't want to unite with Somalia then insha allah we will change the name to something else that you prefer. THANKS

M Sadiiq Somalis have no problem with the Somali identity they know who they are and the culture and the language and the culture and traditions. What i am talking about shared history surely we know about the ajuran and Adal the 2 Somali empires one in the north and one in the south, what i am referring is to that these 2 empires had diplomatic ties, but never a shared history combined under one Empire, for example there was never an Somali Empire in the entire Somali peninsula ruled by one Somali Emperor.. We have a head start when compared to the Ethiopians in particular the Amhara, because we share a common language and culture and religion. But the Ethiopians had a 800 year shared Empire where Amharic language is the center of all Ethiopian ethnics the dominating ethnic language. Somalis dont have this kind of a shared history, Ajuran was ajuran adal was adal , Magurtania was Maghuartania Gerad wiilwaal , Sultan Guleed dynasty all of this never had a shared long shared history. You cant base your nationhood based on just a mere ethnicity there must be something else that binds these people together.

xabad   

first of all msadiq welcome to SOL.

tan labaad nimankaa walaal ka gureysid waa cadow somalidiid ah who would cutoff your neck given half chance so don't show them any friendliness. kan xaaji xunjuf la baxay is a pseudo historian espousing revisionist somaliland supremacist daily on this site.

i hope i gave you a good orientation. salaam

Xabad is one angry man Somali diid how can a person from Somaliland be Somali did just because a Somalilander rejects African union troops piracy religious zealots.

And Turks feeding the mothers and children according To you anarchism plundering and looting and begging aid and than hiding in your bunkers is the essence of Somalinimo. A Somalilander is more of a Somali, than you Somali wa Somaliland iyo bah bah , the Koonfurians like you have contributed nothing to the Somali culture Somali poetry Somali language, Somalis of galbeed and the one in Somaliland are the breadbasket of Somali traditions adigu waxa tahay Somali ceebeys. magac diil. of the Somali peninsula Somaliland Djibouti Somali kilil and NFD are all doing fantastic only the Koonfurians are messing up big time , and you are the least Somali of the 4 Somali countries.

xabad   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Xabad is one angry man Somali diid how can a person from Somaliland be Somali did just because a Somalilander rejects African union troops piracy religious zealots.

How are you a somali ?? i thought you said your Macrobian recently, golisian before that, anything but a somali.

see XX i told you before you insane and you don't know it.

Macrobian are ancient Somalis who lived in the region.

When did i say anything about Golisian. Somali is a wide ethic group and a language. there are Somalilanders of Somali , Kenyans of Somali , Ethiopians of Somali Djiboutians of Somali, So tell me who has a monopoly over the Somali name???? Folks from somalia.

xabad   

XX i think your descended from Habashis, ayaga dad cuqdad iyo xaqid badan ah, somali nacayb meshaas kala timaadeen. siyaad barre na xasuuqay sheekado kaween adeer. firkiina xun.

why do u keep mentioning Maxammad siad bare i have never mentioned him in this topic, Niyo marxuumku wu dhintay maad iska deysid, why aad marba magacisa u soo jid jiidaysa??? where did xx ever mention on SOL siad bare na xasuuuqay,, maad iska sameysatey, i have said it before maxammad siyad bare was a missunderstood man of his time. And where did i say inan Somali necebahay if i am xabashi than you are a Kikuyu, whats the point of personal insults maxaad dadka u aflagadeysa had iyo jeer anigu ma adigaan qoti ama xabashi kugu sheegey.. maybe u should read the golden rules. U keep personally attacking me perhaps i should have a word with the admin on this particular issue.