Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Bullshiiiteer or a Liar?

Khayr   

I was reading a post by some professor the other day ans someone asked this question:

What is the difference between and Bullshiiter and a Liarr?

Can you give an example of a Bullshiit and of a Lie?

Safferz   

A liar is someone who intentionally states falsehoods and misrepresents information, whereas a bullshitter is someone who stretches their limited knowledge base in order to appear knowledgeable and participate in discussion. A liar is often also a bullshitter, but a bullshitter does not always lie, rather the lie is in (mis)representing his or herself as a person who knows what they're talking about. Bullshitting and other forms of posturing are endemic in academia, most having mastered the art of bullshit in graduate school.

Khayr   

Here is what Harry Frankfurt's (author of On Bullshit) says about the two:

“the bullshitter is faking things, but that does not necessarily mean he gets them wrong.”.[1] He simply doesn't care. In contrast, the liar must know the truth, of the matter under discussion, in order to better conceal it from the listener or the reader being deceived with a lie; while the bullshitter’s sole concern is personal advancement and advantage to his or her agenda;
bullshit thus is a greater enemy of the truth than are lies.

So Safferz, is a Bullshiiter just a terrible liar?

Do you agree with Frankfurt's conclusion that

bullshiit is a greater enememy of truth then a lie?

Safferz   

^ those are abstract and useless definitions, Alpha.

<cite>
said:</cite>

Here is what Harry Frankfurt's (author of On Bullshit) says about the two:

So Safferz, is a Bullshiiter just a terrible liar?

Do you agree with Frankfurt's conclusion that

bullshiit is a greater enememy of truth then a lie?

No, I don't think a bullshitter is a liar at all, the two do completely different things. The bullshitter is trying to compensate for his or her own inadequate knowledge by giving the illusion of knowing. Deceit (the liar) is far worse to me than survival and self-advancement (the bullshitter). But I just participated in a two hour discussion on a book I only read the introduction of, I may be invested in defending BS as a useful skill :P

Alternatively we can keep it Somali and say:

Bullshitter = Afmiinshaar

Liar = Beenlow

It is very telling that in our culture, an afmiinshaar is held in high regard, it is a very valued skill in Somali culture :D

<cite>

It is very telling that in our culture, an afmiinshaar is held in high regard, it is a very valued skill in Somali culture
:D

u sheeg.

in their culture (Somali culture) the loudest person is also considered the strongest. further proof of backwardness, if ever required. lakinse, as the famous adage goes...''an empty vessel makes the loudest noise'', somaha?

Khayr   

famous adage goes…”an empty vessel makes the loudest noise”, somaha?

Oh, the irony of that quote.

Saff, I would say that a Bulkshiiter is an unestablished liar. Someone that hasn't gained the authority nor the affliation to have people accept their bullshiit.

What qualities do Liars possess that Bullshiiters don't?

Safferz   

<cite>

Oh, the irony of that quote.

Saff, I would say that a Bulkshiiter is an unestablished liar. Someone that hasn't gained the authority nor the affliation to have people accept their bullshiit.

What qualities do Liars possess that Bullshiiters don't?

I still don't think the two are similar at all, Khayr. Some of the most powerful people in various positions of authority are bullshitters, it's about being able to spin and stretch what you know, in a sense have the answer to everything when you only have fragments or know nothing at all. It takes skill. Toddlers can lie, there's nothing particularly skillful about lying.

Holac   

The greatest bullshitter: Guy Goma. :)

Due to a name mix-up, the BBC staff thought he was a technology expert and rushed him into the news studio. Guy was a taxi driver sitting in the lobby waiting for an unrelated job interview.

[bullshitting], it's about being able to spin and stretch what you know, in a sense have the answer to everything when you only have fragments or know nothing at all.

This is also called lying.