Sign in to follow this  
Nin-Yaaban

Suicide

The suicide rate is higher than the homicide rate: Nearly 1/3 more people die at their own hands than die at other people's hand(the murder rate in America is about 6 per 100,000; for suicides it's 10.8) On average, one suicide occurs every 17 minutes. 76% of all suicide deaths are males. So for every two murders you hear about, three other people killed themselves. One reason that people believe homicide is much more common than suicide is because of the news media's selective coverage. Fact!

Safferz   

Nin-Yaaban;989287 wrote:
The suicide rate is higher than the homicide rate: Nearly 1/3 more people die at their own hands than die at other people's hand(the murder rate in America is about 6 per 100,000; for suicides it's 10.8) On average, one suicide occurs every 17 minutes. 76% of all suicide deaths are males. So for every two murders you hear about, three other people killed themselves. One reason that people believe homicide is much more common than suicide is because of the news media's selective coverage. Fact!

Yup, there's a media blackout on reporting suicides for the most part (except in certain cases when it's in the public interest, like victims of bullying or someone famous) because of the concern it may encourage copycats... I've always wondered about subway "delays" when I lived in Toronto where they say there is an issue at X station, but they will never tell you if it's someone who has jumped, when we know this is something that happens.

I've known people who have committed suicide, acquaintances I knew in passing but no close friends or family members. I've been in some unhealthy ruts before, but never a dark enough place to even consider it. Hope your friend pulls through and gets the help he needs.

(Hyperbole and a Half had an interesting comic about depression, worth reading)

A touchy subject within the Somali community. It tends to stem from mental illness which an even more taboo subject in the Somali Community. People are getting around to it Alhamdullilah and seeking help for their children before it's too late. I can think of 2 Somali people that I personally knew that took their own life. Alhamdullilah I never thought of it myself. May Allah make it easy for all Muslims suffering from this.

^^ sad to hear.

Never thought about it alhamdulilah but I almost lost a person very close to me to suicide. Luckily the person stopped it at the last minute. It was a wake up call for me as that person was one I never thought would entertain the idea. I promised my self after that day that I would take it seriously whenever a person say they dont want to live anymore.

I hope your friend gets better InshaAllah and may Allah help him with the trials he is facing..

i think about committing suicide a lot, but i'm a coward and won't be able to go through with it. shame, really. :P

to kill yourself, you'd have to have courage. that's why most of us are still alive.

Alpha Blondy;989373 wrote:
i think about committing suicide a lot, but i'm a coward and won't be able to go through with it. shame, really.
:P

to kill yourself, you'd have to have courage. that's why most of us are still alive.

this was a joke. no offense to suicidal folks. cafwan. :)

Haatu   

One of my friends from secondary school killed himself two months ago. But then again he was never the same after him mum died in year 7 (he was 13 when she died). Very sad. He wasn't Somali though.

Alpha Blondy;989373 wrote:
i think about committing suicide a lot, but i'm a coward and won't be able to go through with it. shame, really.
:P

I remember a story about a pro athlete (steroid user) who walked into the bush with his dog and a shotgun to commit suicide. When he was about to pull the trigger he remembered saw his dog and worried as to who would take care of it. He pointed the gun at his dog and when he couldn't pull the trigger he decided to just come out of the bush and squash all the suicide talk. You may have said it as a joke but it can be true. Btw suicide is not something to joke about as it could happen to anyone at anytime, suicide is not exclusive to suicidal folks anyone can become suicidal.

Guje   

slightly unrelated but do you know that Kevin Carter committed suicide 3 months after winning the Pulitzer Prize for a photograph of a starving toddler being stalked by a vulture.

There is no day i don't think of suicide, sometimes i think me being on this earth was a mistake. but suicide would devastate my family and that be unfair. i hate living most of the times. Fcuk this miserable world.

Safferz   

Guje;989526 wrote:
slightly unrelated but do you know that Kevin Carter committed suicide 3 months after winning the Pulitzer Prize for a photograph of a starving toddler being stalked by a vulture.

There is no day i don't think of suicide, sometimes i think me being on this earth was a mistake. but suicide would devastate my family and that be unfair. i hate living most of the times. Fcuk this miserable world.

Are you getting help, Guje? Sorry you feel this way :(