Sign in to follow this  
Maqane

Somalis Condemn Kenya Mall Attack

ElPunto   

^Optics matter. And not saying anything breeds further resentment and suspicion. I think you do more harm by staying silent. And in cases like this sticking to noble conceptions of individual responsibility and Muslims are not a monolith isn't going to lead to a productive solution.

Safferz;979185 wrote:
I have yet to see you contribute anything remotely intelligent or of substance to an SOL thread in my time here. Hop off.

We're going to have to agree to disagree then. I don't see anything productive in these theatrics, it does little to change perceptions of Muslims or
get at the heart of why extremism exists (a necessary precondition for ending it
, and with that its association with our community).

and what lies at the heart of it safferz ?

Safferz   

Hobbesian_Brute;979189 wrote:
and what lies at the heart of it safferz ?

That's a different conversation for a different thread, I think :P And there's certainly no clear answer, but it seems most analysts agree that it is more than ideology, and includes structural factors (ie. poverty, weak governance, war/military intervention, exclusion/social inequality) as well.

Jacpher   

Safferz has a point.

I don't get the point of people in North America, about ten thousand miles away apologizing on behalf of Somalis in Kenya.

Safferz   

Hobbesian_Brute;979198 wrote:
your haatu's sister when it comes real politique, both of you are utterly clueless.

It's realpolitik, but thank you -- when what I've said provokes this type of response from our resident islamophobe, I know I'm doing something right.

Wadani   

Safferz, the power dynamics at play don't give use the luxury of remaining silent. Members of a community can retain their right to individuality only from a position of relative strength. Somalis are implicated in this crime by association regardless. Putting aside ideals, which will have a better outcome in the real world; a swift condemnation or silence? It's simple really. I know it's humiliating, but we as a people chose humiliation when we toppled our government and unleached hell upon each other and we're now facing the music.

Oiler   

ElPunto;979170 wrote:
Condemnation does not equal apology. Obama had condemned this - is he apologizing for it? Nope.

And let's face it. Somalis are associated with a major and sensational terrorist attack. You gotta distance your community from it - and if it means apologizing so be it. It certainly isn't the time to be defensive.

That's exactly it.

Safferz   

Wadani;979200 wrote:
Safferz, the power dynamics at play don't give use the luxury of remaining silent. Members of a community can retain their right to individuality only from a position of relative strength. Somalis are implicated in this crime by association regardless. Putting aside ideals, which will have a better outcome in the real world; a swift condemnation or silence? It's simple really. I know it's humiliating, but we as a people chose humiliation when we toppled our government and unleached hell upon each other and we're now facing the music.

Actually, the idealism is coming from those of you who seem to believe that underscoring collective Muslim responsibility for terrorism through community condemnation of terrorist acts does anything to improve perceptions of Muslims in the West. I'd love to see evidence of any positive outcome for the Muslim community apologizing for the actions they've had nothing to do with. If anything, statistically there's been a rise in anti-Muslim hate crime in recent years, this after years of Muslims appearing in the media post-9/11 - just as the Somalis above - to condemn terrorism. It doesn't work, and it's amazing people think it does when it's the very strategy demanded of us by anti-Muslim bigots. The onus is not on us to make ourselves, our community and our religion more palatable to xenophobic Westerners.

Oiler   

The media is misleading many into believing that Islam motivated these Al-Shabab lunatics to terror. The Somali Community MUST speak up, They can't stay silent and should distance themselves from it - silence means consent in the public eyes because the media has the power to do a lot of things. Somalis do not have the privilege or the power to just stay silent when it comes to matters like this.

Khayr   

Saffarez, you are a very brave and intelligent nomad. I don't think that Alpha could handle your sensibility...lol.

Khayr;979222 wrote:
Saffarez, you are a very brave and intelligent nomad. I don't think that Alpha could handle your sensibility...lol.

:D:D Haye, your still tryna be a lickspittle for this woman, even after alpha's infamous Qarxis job on you :cool:. wali maadan quusan yaah. ninyow and go look for a walking tent to douse your insatiable sexual desires. this is one a liberal feminist and i don't think she welcomes your sly moves to seduce her. xishoodka eebow hanaga qaadin.

YoniZ   

Safferz;979176 wrote:
Your comparison doesn't work here -- Obama is a head of state, condemning an attack is part of his job as president and a leader in the international community. On the other hand, a community like ours (and Muslims more generally) is expected to condemn terrorism because it's assumed that terrorism is *our* collective problem and every Muslim is a latent supporter of terrorism that must publicly disavow their connections and (assumed) support in order to be trusted. We don't have the privilege of being individuals in this society because islamophobia and xenophobia treats us as a monolith, one where the acts of a few become the acts of an entire community.

I'm not being defensive, I'm just frustrated with Somalis (and Muslims) for falling into this racist trap.

+1000

I couldn't have said it better myself.