Sign in to follow this  
burahadeer

We will defend Somaliland: Ethiopian PM

News and Analysis about the Horn of Africa Monday, May 20, 2013

BREAKING NEWS: “We will defend Somaliland,” Ethiopian PM Hailemariam Desalegn

By ”Somali-Ethio“

May 19, 2013

Source: Ethiopian Review

Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn declared bi-partisan support for Somaliland in the case of military action against the threat from neighboring Somalia and other external militants such as al Shabab.

The Prime Minister delivered the keynote speech this weekend in the Ethiopian Parliament in front of Ethiopian legislators.

Mr. Desalegn specified that Ethiopia is ready to provide diplomatic, military, and economic support to Somaliland “should they need it”. He underlined the long bilateral relationship between the two Horn of African states saying Somaliland and Ethiopia cooperate on many fields including security, economy and education.

He told the Ethiopian lawmakers that he recently dispatched more than a dozen directors and chairman to Somaliland as a part of a high-level technical committee that will study ways to enhance relations. He said he wants to expand existing ties to reflect on the modern geopolitics of the region.

The Prime Minister hopes the two sides will soon sign an official bilateral strategic cooperation agreement. The technical committee has been doing its studies for the past three years. Last year the gathering was held in the Ethiopian chartered city of Dire Dawa and this year in the Somaliland capital Hargeisa.

“Somaliland is a friend and a key strategic ally for Ethiopia. We will spare no expense to defend and protect Somaliland. We are ready to extend an arm of support to our Somaliland brothers every time they are in need of one,” he told the Parliamentarians.

He said that the Ethiopian armed forces were ready to fight along side those from Somaliland and offer them technical support as well as training. He said he was wary of militants from Somalia who are spurring out off that country due to military pressure from the African Union troops (AMISOM).

He did not specify if Ethiopia would support Somaliland forces against armed forces from from Somalia but he has indicated Addis Ababa will spare no expense to ensure the existence of Somaliland. He strongly emphasized that his government will standby Somaliland against any threat from “any direction”.

This is the first time one of the key nations in East Africa has openly offered its direct support for Somaliland since ending its bitter marriage with Somalia two decades ago.

The keynote speech by Mr. Desalgn comes during time when there is diplomatic rift between Hargeisa and the internationally recognized but powerless government in Mogadishu.

Equally it coincides with Somaliland’s 22nd anniversary of Independence from the rest of Somali Republic.

His message has received overwhelming support throughout Somaliland and residents have welcomed PM Desalegn’s strong support. Somalilanders consider Ethiopia the closest ally and their ties traces back to more than 300 years.

It was just weeks ago when Prime Minister Desalegn received the Somaliland President Ahmed Silanyo at his official residence in Addis Ababa.

The two heads of State concurred on the enhancement of security, education and commercial ties.”Somaliland and Ethiopia share cordial relations of which we are determined to not only sustain but enhance as well,” President Silanyo told Somaliland and Ethiopian reporters.

On his part, Prime Minister Hailemariam, expressed Ethiopia’s interest in fostering stronger relations with Somaliland based on mutual benefit.

He said “Ethiopia is ready to further bolster its relations with Somaliland administration in the areas of trade, education, capacity building and port services.”

He also underscored that Ethiopia will extend support to Somaliland in order to ensure that Al-Shabaab forces who are fleeing from Somalia will not pose a threat to Somaliland.

______________________________________________________________________________________

######

Center for Policy Analysis and Research (CfPAR)

Being a Catalyst for Positive Change in Somalia

6161 Busch Blvd. Suite 114

Columbus, OH 43229

http://c.eb11.ebhost9.com/sendlink.asp?HitID=1369079977731&StID=7408&SID=47&NID=41051&EmID=6360716&Link=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5jZnBhci5vcmcv&token=8f61df4648a11369ddad854aac34115ca592ce6c

Tel: 202-670-6182

Fax: 614-441-8902

Suldaanka;961256 wrote:
Burahareed,

What exactly will Ethiopia defend Somaliland from?

Pirate dhows seen anchored around Berbera,these guys know how to swim,submerge & come back with a fking loaded dashiika.Scary really.

nuune   

^^ Fuley dhaka yaanbo leh ma sidaa baad uga baqdaa qolyahaa maraxyahow ummada ha ceebeyn, intaas dhaba dheh hana xanaaqin

nuune....see what you guys doing to us, I'm afraid might have Injera as breakfast. Why you guys just don't leave us so I can keep some semblance of somalinimo.:mad:

They cant leave you alone thats impossible, see in Somalia many have lost hope. seeing Somaliland one day returning to Somalia gives them hope. You want to take away their hope, if Somaliland was recognized few years ago , i doubt there would be a government today in Somalia. Burahadeer see the Koonfurians do not think like Somalilanders. They would destroy each other use kenyans Ethiopian Ugandans Afghans but still claim Nationalists protecting the nation. Even the word Somalinimo has been abused and overused and even raped , because every one talks about it no one actually knows what the true definition of Somalinimo is and what it stands for. But you want to keep Somalinimo alive as some sort of cultural identity that bonds Somali speaking all over the horn, This is a beautiful thing but this impossible Burahadeer for atleast a few decades because there are Somalis who want to see you trapped. But i dont think you should focus to much on the Koonfurians they are harmless just watch them carefully what they do. As for the Ignoble xabashis they have other problems to worry about like the Nile Conflict Muslim protests in Addis ababa ethnic movements but do not touch their Enjeera, waxaas la isku ma cuno. There is little they can do to help our case. The best thing we can get from the Xabashis if we ask the TPLF regime in addis ababa if they buy Military hard ware tanks in their name and we buy it from them. Particularly T90 tanks and couple of Merkava Type one tanks.

But i dont think you should focus to much on the Koonfurians they are harmless .

:D:D:D thanks XX I won't touch Injera as long as you sure Digir & moofoo isn't coming either.

I like this Cgdheer lady & got mad when I told her the newly found love between SL & Ethio.She hit the door furiously asking me if that meant we gona marry those shortees up north.What shall we do Mr. XX. Do you think I have to sacrifice my love for the greater good of the country & head north.

nuune   

Xaaji Xunjuf;961272 wrote:
Hilib iyo caano geel thats our culture
:D

What about Puntland and Somaligalbeed, their culture is also hilib geel and caano geel, they know nothing about muufo and digir,