Sign in to follow this  
Timur

How did Somalia become Muslim? No one knows! I will discuss three theories.

Timur   

brainblaster456;945966 wrote:
Well, if the first theory was true that Islam came to Somalia through 13th century Persian trading then we would have all been Shia. but there is not an exact date of when this trading occured, and it could have well been Pre-Islamic.

Personally, i am convinced that the 2nd theory is closest to the truth.

Persia was historically part of Ahl As-Sunnah, as Mad_Mullah said above. During the early years of the 16th century, the Turkic tribes of Azerbaijan invaded Persia and they began a long process of converting the people to Shiism so that they could control them and separate them from their Muslim brethren of the Ottoman Caliphate. The strange thing is that the Azeri invaders were not even Shia themselves, they were Sunnis of the Shafi'i school; they merely chose the Shia religion for the Persians because of pragmatic reasons.

Since we know that Saylac was a prominent Islamic city during the time of Imam Bukhari (RH), we can easily assume that Somalis were already a well-known Islamic society long before the Abbasid Caliphate sorted out its local affairs in Baghdad. The Abbasids were not even a militaristic caliphate, they just inherited the lands of the Ummayad Caliphate. Most importantly, Somalia's economic importance came after Islam - so there was never a justifiable reason to waste resources to invade this desolate country of ours.

The most logical theory is that Islam began a modest entrance into Somali, Afar, and Oromo communities under Muslim Habesha who met the Sahaba (RA) during the 7th century. Since the ummah was small at the time, the new Somali Muslims probably gained the attraction of the larger Muslim states, which led to the quick rise of Saylac, Berbera, and Mogadishu to world prominence. You should remember that during this period, the Muslims were like a tight fraternity in terms of support for each other and recognition of each other. I believe that Islam spread so fast in Somalia because Allah SWT willed that we would have many new visitors and thankfully our ancestors were open to these new friends.

The most important point to stress is that Somalia did not become a prominently Muslim nation in the later centuries like other countries. We were already a prominent Muslim nation during the first three centuries of Islam, the blessed centuries of the Hadith collectors and the Fiqh pioneers. The only history that Somalis should study is their Islamic history, because that's the only time we ever shined.

xabad   

wadaad xume, qabyaalad iyo qurun baa kaa buuxa. SL iyo PL waa carab kulaha. implication being their better than other somalis. with such attitude no wonder somalia is in deep shidh. smh

Timur;945883 wrote:
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read in my entire life, and the structure and grammar of the post demonstrates a gutter level of education. It shuns the fact that the lighter-skinned people of the Levant were converted to Islam by Arabians and Africans who formed the majority of the Sahaba (RA); many of the leading figures of the early Islamic community were described as being very dark, one of them was Usama Ibn Zayd (RA) who led the first Muslim army to defeat the Romans and then conquer Syria.

Please learn to read because it will help you understand history a lot better than what your English masters have taught you.

oooooooh another dummy who can't face the facts.Read the history of Egypt & Waaq.George Bush was English speaking if that helps!

Bro, Our friend Burahadeer has clearly bit onto a part of their bate. Personally, even if I knew that Somalia was conquered by brute force (which is not even close to the truth), I would still thank our conquerors. To this day, Bosnians and Albanians give thanks to the Ottoman Turks for conquering them and making them Muslim, and I'd do the same if we were in a similar boat.

You would still feel the same if the conquerers were Christian cos that would be the only faith you grew up with...think before spewing.