Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Ganad Public Library, Hargeisa, Somaliland

so.........i had this vision last night, as you do...:P in the vision, i saw a library bearing my name...:P. then this morning, i went to the ministry of education and registered the library....because talking is for FOOLs, somaha?

i've already procured the books and learning resources/materials. establishing the library will take me about 10 months....inshallah. my area doesn't have a public library and this is really disappointing. i hope this project can count on your valued support. i'm not asking for donations, contributions nor BOOK AID because i DON'T need that, ma garateen? i'll work with a grass roots, bottoms up and a conscious effort. in time, this will be a community based project. it'll be a space of learning. it'll be managed by me (CEO, founder and Chief Librarians) and staff (3 assistants, 2 librarians and 1 library liaison officer) = 6 new JOBS created.

i just need your valued support. i have the necessary connections to help me establish the library...:P.......but seriously, any ideas or suggestions and most importantly positive comments of encouragement will go a long way. this small nation has come a long way and but that's not enough...... and there is so much more....we can ALL do to make a difference......ee sida uula soco....:D.

i'll update y'all in the next couple of months of the progresses. this could be 'our little' mashruuc. so support me to support our people.

nabadu waa nolosha, noloshu waa nabada - Alpha Blondy of SOL circa 2012

thanks,

Alpha.

Hargeisa, Somaliland

Founder of Ganad Public Library and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Honour (PMH)

Chimera   

Very positive Alphy,

- Your library should have an equal amount of technical books as fiction/non-fiction books. These you could borrow to the schools and universities in your vicinity, or students that want extra support.

- Purchase 5 to 10 computers, and reserve a section for that.

- Create a reading room.

*Blessed;944038 wrote:
Iga raali noqo, laakin howshan waa la bilaabay :
ee sidaa ula soco
:)

Blessedooow, inaar,

howshan waan la socooda, balse this is a major qurbo-joog mashruuc. it'll take many years and much of those funds collected will be wasted. i'm more a grass-roots sort of person and advocate of taking small steps....and starting with my local area will be an important marker of difference. a small, well organised and local library is better, i reckon, ee sida uula soco. :cool:

Ethiopian maahmaah - ''the egg will walk''.....ma garatay? :P

Chimera;944040 wrote:
Very positive Alphy,

- Your library should have an equal amount of technical books as fiction/non-fiction books. These you could borrow to the schools and universities in your vicinity, or students that want extra support.

- Purchase 5 to 10 computers, and reserve a section for that.

- Create a reading room.

Adamsooow, inaar,

i think we ought to stop fighting on these boards. let's call it a truce and i'll name the reading room after you? :P

thanks for the ideas. in the next couple of weeks and months, i hope to find a good sized premises that could house the library. computers and other such things will be difficult to source but i hope to use sponsorship deals and appeal to the corporate social responsibilities/sensitivities of those close and personal friends in the 1% of SL. :P:D

STOIC   

Good idea Alpha (we hardly agree on same side me & you) but I still think you should contribute to that link Blessed put up there.It seems like a legitimate fundraising..I even see my favorite sheikh there Sheikh Mustafe Xaaji Ismaciil...

PS Last time I contributed something was a fundraising for that road between Hargeisa and Salaxley which came to fruition...This one http://hargeisalibrary.com/ seems like a good course to contribute also...

nuune   

Change the name, to something more like that sounds romantic, believe me, no girls will visit your library with that name.

^ yes!

of course, you can!!!!!!! i tell you what, inaar, make a website (something basic....i'll pay for the domain name and stuff via my credit card). we'll add a paypal account to the site. this way people can donate the cash required to purchase materials, equipment and furniture. this will be very useful walahi. i know you're a tech-freak....marka just imagine how much you can help establish the public library. :cool:

Coofle   

is Gannad a Metaphor to your name or is it the actual Gannad ....... That neighborhood is teeming with young minds, actually its where I have spent a considerable amount of my life (lots of beautiful and dusty memories) --Although imnka meeshu dhisantay oo is badashay, in my last visit I could hardly recognize it anymore...

Good initiative Alpha, Libraries are positive and encouraging signs of developing nations...in the totem pole of development , Education is the first block.

You will find obstacles ,starting from the ministry of education to the public....So keep your stance, and make this dream true.

,.....Don't you think for starters 6 jobs is too much for the budget, may be one librarian (from 8.30 am - 4.30 pm, preferably a young female) and one security (at night specially and preferably neighbor of the library) would suite the budget at first,,,,,,Just a thought.