Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

The Whatcha Reading Thread

Chimera;957638 wrote:
I lost the will to read fiction somewhere in January 2013, before that I was all into epic Fantasy and Scifi, even movies are becoming a drag. I think there is a disconnect brought about by life experiences, or my inner child died.

i think you've grown up adams. welcome to the club.

i've observed a worrying trend of ''melancholia'' in your posts. is everything alright, inaar?

Haatu   

Chimera, that's a shame. My appetite for fantasy is still going just as strong although I only read 1 book a month nowadays.

Apophis;944244 wrote:
Never seen so much pretentious waffle since being forced to walk through Westfield at knife point. But I made it.

LOL :D:D

Apophis. Isn't it just delightful? Shall we take tea whilst we watch this extremely pretentious waffle unfold?

Chimera   

Haatu;957648 wrote:
Chimera, that's a shame. My appetite for fantasy is still going just as strong although I only read 1 book a month nowadays.

I think it has something to do with the authors, I can read anything by GRRM, or Dan Brown, with these guy you feel like your watching a movie, or following events via the News, rather than reading a book:

I'm going to buy Inferno:

DANBROWN_Inferno_creepy.jpg

Haatu   

Chimera, you know I've never even bothered to read the blurb of any Dan Brown books but I can spy Angel & Demons on the bookshelf now. Might give it a go tonight.

Safferz   

Apophis;957830 wrote:
Beyond a certain point,
it messes with ones' mind
. Moderation is key.

Elaborate.

Haatu   

Safferz;957840 wrote:
Elaborate.

It does. There's been times in the past where I spent my entire weekend reading. Literally most hours that I was awake and late into the night. It was the Demonata Saga which I finished in like a week. Wallahi I think those books had sixir on them that made you constantly read them.

i don't read fiction, currently trying to read Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, all pseudo nationalists should be forced to read this book at gun point.

Safferz   

Haatu;957843 wrote:
It does. There's been times in the past where I spent my entire weekend reading. Literally most hours that I was awake and late into the night. It was the Demonata Saga which I finished in like a week. Wallahi I think those books had sixir on them that made you constantly read them.

And what's wrong with that? :)

Haatu   

Safferz;957847 wrote:
And what's wrong with that?
:)

I don't know, maybe because I felt like sh*t afterwards? Trust me there's reading for leisure, and then there's reading as if your life depends on it. Humans are a sociable species, we need to get out and mix with others and this can't happen if you're holed in in the house library (I always wanted one) all day.

D.O.C   

Excellent thread walahi, but unfortunately I am dyslexic with reading and writing difficulties, am sorry i cant contribute to this great thread....... I feel marginalised now:mad::mad::mad:

Safferz   

Sorry D.O.C :(

Haatu;957850 wrote:
I don't know, maybe because I felt like sh*t afterwards? Trust me there's reading for leisure, and then there's reading as if your life depends on it. Humans are a sociable species, we need to get out and mix with others and this can't happen if you're holed in in the house library (I always wanted one) all day.

See, to me the best books are the ones that completely consume me in that way, and I've often read novels in one sitting. It's been a long time since I've read for pleasure though, so much of my reading now is non-fiction for school and I spend most of the day reading during the school year. I still enjoy it but it's a different type of experience. I don't think reading a lot is harmful though, there's a lot of anti-intellectualism in those sorts of statements that I find dangerous and problematic.