Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

The Whatcha Reading Thread

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;943352 wrote:
^^Oba wrote the review

Wha? I read this review before and thought it was horrible. I'm familiar with his books too and he's in no place to accuse anyone of qabiil bias.

Safferz;943356 wrote:
Wha? I read this review before and thought it was horrible. I'm familiar with his books too and he's in no place to accuse anyone of qabiil bias.

some parts where correct about the book tho she only mentioned some of the biggest somali catastrophes briefly while focusing on a clan cleansing that supposedly happened to a specific clan the book was from one point of view so its not incomplete. The real victims are the people from the unarmed minority clans tbh

Safferz   

One of my favourite current novelists, I just picked up his recent collection of short stories. I've been trying to make a habit of reading fiction before bed, so everything I read isn't school related.

this_is_how_you_lose_her.jpg

Pulitzer Prize-winner Junot Díaz’s first book, Drown, established him as a major new writer with “the dispassionate eye of a journalist and the tongue of a poet” (Newsweek). His first novel, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, was named #1 Fiction Book of the Year” by Time magazine and spent more than 100 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, establishing itself – with more than a million copies in print – as a modern classic. In addition to the Pulitzer, Díaz has won a host of major awards and prizes, including the National Book Critic’s Circle Award, the PEN/Malamud Award, the PEN/O. Henry Prize, the Dayton Literary Peace Prize, and the Anisfield-Wolf Award.

Now Díaz turns his remarkable talent to the haunting, impossible power of love – obsessive love, illicit love, fading love, maternal love. On a beach in the Dominican Republic, a doomed relationship flounders. In the heat of a hospital laundry room in New Jersey, a woman does her lover’s washing and thinks about his wife. In Boston, a man buys his love child, his only son, a first baseball bat and glove. At the heart of these stories is the irrepressible, irresistible Yunior, a young hardhead whose longing for love is equaled only by his recklessness--and by the extraordinary women he loves and loses: artistic Alma; the aging Miss Lora; Magdalena, who thinks all Dominican men are cheaters; and the love of his life, whose heartbreak ultimately becomes his own. In prose that is endlessly energetic, inventive, tender, and funny, the stories in the New York Times-Bestselling This Is How You Lose Her lay bare the infinite longing and inevitable weakness of the human heart. They remind us that passion always triumphs over experience, and that “the half-life of love is forever.”

tumblr_lf3s5uToL41qfn5m1o1_500.jpg

The Wretched of the Earth (Les Damnés de la Terre, 1961), by Frantz Fanon, is a psychiatric and psychologic analysis of the dehumanising effects of colonization upon the individual man and woman, and the nation, from which derive the broader social, cultural, and political implications inherent to establishing a social movement for the decolonization of a person and of a people. The French-language title, Les Damnés de la Terre derives from the opening lyrics of The Internationale, the 19th-century anthem of the Left Wing.

(WIKI)

oba hiloowlow;943345 wrote:
I read it, BS book biased as F

Really? My first impression of the introductory chapters where she sets the stage is that she has gone to great lengths to do her homework...

Kafka "The metamorphosis" was one of the set books along Plato's republic, about ideal republic citizens upbringing, for my bro 1st year (pre-eng); never understood those western tastes but fanon les damnes is way more relevant; need to see some unique lessons learned by the last page...

Don't you guys read Ibn Qayyim or Arabic written classics or even force through other foreign langages (eg cuban revolution in spanish)?

I heard scandinavians schools are great for teaching langages.

Safferz   

QansaxMeygaag;944270 wrote:
Really? My first impression of the introductory chapters where she sets the stage is that she has gone to great lengths to do her homework...

I am assuming she situates 1991 in its broader historical context, yes? Lidwien is a very good historian and I suspect many of the responses to her work are knee jerk reactions rather than productive critiques.

Safferz   

*bump* QansaxMeygaag, what's your verdict on Kapteijns' book?

Brushing up on research methods before my trip...

fieldnotes.jpg

And the books I'm taking with me to read during downtime or use for reference:

9781569020019.jpg

35.jpg

9780932415929.jpg

517RXRFXC0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

kt8g5024tt_cover.jpg

9780520244146.jpg

tumblr_m1s75u02be1r9tixco1_400.jpg

704104.jpg

9717.jpg

Haatu   

Apophis;944244 wrote:
Never seen so much pretentious waffle since being forced to walk through Westfield at knife point. But I made it.

I have to agree with Apophis on this. Don't you guys read for fun? So many dull & boring books being presented here.

Anyways, one book I recently read was Prince in Blood. Now just 15 more books to go in the series :D

Chimera   

I lost the will to read fiction somewhere in January 2013, before that I was all into epic Fantasy and Scifi, even movies are becoming a drag. I think there is a disconnect brought about by life experiences, or my inner child died.

Enjoy, ya Haatu, I still have the Black Company on the shelf,and now I wish I had read the series while I still had the will.