Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Tomorrow, I humiliate myself publicly.

Safferz   

Cambuulo iyo bun;938819 wrote:
you clearly don't dear. the brits are not raping and looting and occoptyin somali lands as we write. the dirty habash is. the brits made peace and gtfo so me using their language wouldn't be ironic.

English speakers continue to do all those things to Somalia. Was Ethiopia's invasion of Somalia not a US proxy war in their "war on terror"? But you're still missing the point -- English is a colonial inheritance, it still symbolizes all the oppressive practices I mentioned, and therefore (using your logic) just as problematic as Amharic, if not more so. I have no problem with speaking Amharic, just like I have no problem speaking English or French. Languages embody many things, and for my purposes they are tools to help me do the work I want to do.

Safferz;938826 wrote:
English speakers continue to do all those things to Somalia. Was Ethiopia's invasion of Somalia not a US proxy war in their "war on terror"? But you're still missing the point -- English is a colonial inheritance, it still symbolizes all the oppressive practices I mentioned, and therefore (using your logic) just as problematic as Amharic, if not more so. I have no problem with speaking Amharic, just like I have no problem speaking English or French. Languages embody many things, and for my purposes they are tools to help me do the work I want to do.

Safferz, now say all of that in amharic :D

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;938829 wrote:
Safferz, now say all of that in amharic
:D

I'm not quite there yet :( At this point it would take me over an hour and frequent references to my Amharic-English dictionary to write that out lol.

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;938835 wrote:
two words:

hopeless and clueless. give up before you embarrass yourself, inaar.
:P

Off to the dress rehearsal now, the big show is 7pm. You are getting none of my prize money when I return to SOL with mega birr, Alpha. Dehna hun :D

Chimera   

Eat something spicy before you go on stage, or take a specific citrus fruit, both choices will prevent your mouth from drying out and stuttering your lines.

Good luck.

Safferz   

MISSION COMPLETE! I forgot a line or two so I had to improvise at times, but no one in the audience could tell. And I may or may not have tried to pass off a few Somali words as Amharic, but I warned my group (I'm the only non-native speaker) and the instructor ahead of time that they would start hearing "Somaligna" if I get stuck. So I didn't suck y'all :D

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;939053 wrote:
Waawareey shukaansiga maa billaabatay ninyahow

He only thinks I'm cute because he thinks I'm shy, and he is mistaken lol