Sign in to follow this  
Ace of Spadez

Turkey’s Contribution to Efforts to Overcome Problems between Somalia and Somaliland

^ Saffers, I see you moving the goal post. In your original post when you thought those words were not on the official government page, you were like where is it in the official web page? lol :D :D :D

STOIC   

Not even intentioned blindness will prevent anyone from seeing that Somaliland and Somalia are moving apart far and wide..Unless Some magic happens don't expect any resolution any time soon. The president site mentioning of two African countries might be a blunder and if I was Hassan I'll have protested.I can see how this will be a fodder for our pedestrian-politicks seasoned marinated analyst..In all honesty everyone is a winner..No one lost anything today if anything Somaliland got magnanimous offering by still getting paid and staying on its course.If I was Somalia president I'd have said no way I'm sharing my handout with someone who is not toeing the line..But that will be impolite to our brothers from the north j/k

Ace. When the Republic imploded, it didn't neatly crumble into North-South. The civil war created tribal homelands and the struggle against Barre waged by tribes not by Somaliland or any other regional administration. And at the end, tribes will decide the final outcome and solution won't come in neatly packaged divorce settlement. These talks are good beginning but they falsely assume that there are only two Somalis whose reconciliation will result in lasting peace.

STOIC;937891 wrote:
Not even intentioned blindness will prevent anyone from seeing that Somaliland and Somalia are moving apart far and wide..Unless Some magic happens don't expect any resolution any time soon. The president site mentioning of two African countries might be a blunder and if I was Hassan I'll have protested.I can see how this will be a fodder for our pedestrian-politicks seasoned marinated analyst..In all honesty everyone is a winner..No one lost anything today if anything Somaliland got magnanimous offering by still getting paid and staying on its course.If I was Somalia president I'd have said no way I'm sharing my handout with someone who is not toeing the line..But that will be impolite to our brothers from the north j/k

I think you're wrong. Hassan has decided to give waqooyi galbeed its share of the pie. caadi wayee.

Safferz   

Cambuulo iyo bun;937889 wrote:
but in international relations "..every comma has a meaning"
:D

Official documents, yes. The communique is all that matters.

uchi   

Ace-of-Spadez why are you so eager to leave your brothers and sisters behind? Where is the love? Why do you want to cut ties and move on?

I remember when i was in Hargeisa in 1991, the rubble was overwhelming and saddening, I remember seeing undetonated bombs laying round inside damaged homes just around the house we stayed. So I can understand the hate, but that hate should be directed on our late dictator not the poor souls that are your brothers and sisters that need your help and your expertise.

We need reer Hargeisa to contribute to the rebuilding of our great nation, and we honestly can't do it alone.

Che, this is where you are wrong. The former Somali Republic was formed by two parts. The State of Somaliland and the State of Somalia. Go and read the act of union that wasn't even ratified by both parliaments. This is why the talks are structured in a manner of Somalia on one side and Somaliland on the other, ie the two sides that made up the former Somali Republic. The international community is working to see if Somaliland and Somalia can either agree on a union or separate amicably. You should listen to your president, he mentions this repeatedly that he wants a UNION between Somaliland and Somalia that has conditions and will not be threatened by future events. He wants to renegotiate the former Somaliland-Somalia union that made up the former Somali Republic. Unfortunately for him, Somaliland doesn't want any part of it. There really isn't a place or avenue for any one else to enter these talks. So what will be the likely outcome? Somaliland will have to take another referendum in its border and if the majority of its citizens vote for Somaliland then it will legally exit the union, and if the majority decided to be with Somalia then they will remain in the union of the former Somali Republic. There really isn't any room for clans to get in the way of this train.

Che -Guevara;937862 wrote:
I see that but actual Communique has nothing new in it.

Che their is new points in this communique point 4 and partly point 5 and more importantly this isn't transitional government like sharifs one. Culusow tries to change many agreement between sharif and neighboring countries specially Kenya and eth. Last view weeks there was some diplomatic movements from Culusow's team to change Dubai MOA that is why they write point 2 in this agreement.

^You are not good salesman, are you Uchi lool

Ace. I know the history of the union but you seem to be intentionally ignoring the current history and reality. And I disagree on the clan issue. They will be the key to everything. Hargeysa and Mogadishu can not impose any agreement on anyone.

Uchi, I don't hate any one. It is up to the citizens of Somaliland to decide if they want to remain with Somalia. The last referendum that was done was not supervised by the international community. More than likely a new one will have to be done to make the divorce legal. If the people decide to stay with Somalia who am I to say no? lol Somaliland is a democracy. One man one vote.

Ace what che is saying is that the war was based on tribes and he has a point there, and that it self needs to be solved although the sl tribes made peace and moved on excluding the khatumo faction

Che, the current history is that Somaliland controls the 6 capitals of Somaliland provinces. If you're going to tell me because it doesn't control some villages and towns it will stop Somaliland you must really be having a laugh. lol Somaliland's destiny will be whatever the majority of the people in Somaliland decided. In 1960 it was the majority of the people who wanted Unity with Somalia. If they want the same in 2013, I can't stop it, neither can Silanyo. Conversely, if the majority don't want Somalia there is very little you and I and Silanyo can do.

uchi   

Ace, most of my Somaliland friends are just waiting for a way out. Honestly we only need this "Federal Government" to be more inclusive and to reach out. I am sure we can work out this marriage.

Che, no I am not selling anything, but if you were in Hargeisa in the early 1990, and saw the destruction you would understand their point of view.