Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Margaret Thatcher's Britain

N.O.R.F   

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/08/britain-land-margaret-thatcher-built

I wasn't a fan but I wasn't against her either. I was too young to understand what was going on anyway. In those days there were government owned telecom, water, electricity, gas, train, bus, plane companies and getting on a bus for an adult cost just 2 pence. On the other hand the influx of Somalis into the UK and the sympathetic nature of the then government were under her watch.

One fact I gleaned today is that up until 1986, foreign ownership of UK companies wasn't allowed.

N.O.R.F   

Howe, Hurd and Heseltine.

In terms of the UK she opened a class war. The haves benefited from privatisations while the have nots relied on social security.

NGONGE   

^^ They didn't have a minutes silence for her in last night's game. Nobody in the football liked her. :D

NGONGE   

^^ There will be more in the coming days. I expect the Liverpool fans to sing their song about having a party when Maggie dies. :D

N.O.R.F   

^True. Some of my friends' parents lost their jobs at the steel factories after privatisation.

Ngonge, they will be singing that song in April. Very fitting. :D

NGONGE   

^^ If the president of Peru dies tomorrow, I doubt many in the site would care (well apart from me) unless, of course, Peru had or did something that concerns them. The guru does not want to badmouth Mrs T because of what he believes she did for the SNM. A valid point.

p.s.

Did she ever visit Somalia in her 13 year rule? (where are the picture lovers?). :D

N.O.R.F   

Oody, her government's friendly nature towards Somalis didn't stop most voting labour in '97. But Labour through Blair then carried on with her policies (they probably didn't have a choice). They should have at least put something in place to curtail these utility companies who have a license to charge what they want.

NGONGE   

^^ Err..more Somalis entered the UK during the Blair years than the entire tory reign, saaxib.

Cambuulo iyo bun;936274 wrote:
A valid point huh? Would it still be valid if you weren't of the same view? Wa maya
:D

It would. Which is why I asked you if she ever visited Somalia. :D

People always look at the angle that concerns them in a story. In mine, and when talking about Thatcher, I mentioned my addictive hobby and how Thatcher had almost destroyed British Football. The guru went at from an SL angle.

You called her a witch, what annoyed you about her? ;)

That's what everyone is calling her dee. She never did anything to me but I'm going with the prevailing consensus. :D

PS: plus the rhyme is very good: ding dong, the witch is dead..... :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/ding-dong-the-witch-is-dead-set-to-enter-uk-official-top-40-following-margaret-thatchers-death-8566042.html