Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Cost of renting a house/room in Mogadishu?

Chimera   

Che -Guevara;934156 wrote:
Chimera, you have romanticized idea of Somalia

You'd be surprised at my knowledge of Somalia's degenerate side, but I just don't allow it to affect my view of the country's potential, or influence me to treat my fellow Somali as an enemy.

^I didn't say Somalia has no potential or you treat Somalis an enemy but ready for the grinding poverty. I know you are something else, I encourage to see IDP camps.

Chimera;934165 wrote:
You'd be surprised at my knowledge of Somalia's degenerate side, but I just don't allow it to affect my view of the country's potential, or influence me to treat my fellow Somali as an enemy.

Have you gone 'back' before?

Juxa   

Che goormee is xureynee oo baxee? If ibti has gone back for good and Adam is going for visit?

Blessed   

Che.. there is also unimaginable creativity, talent, hospitality, kindness and generosity - good things the world refuses to associated with Somalis. I went expecting the worst because ppl insisted in telling me how bad it was but I was actually pleasantly surprised.. despite the poverty, you don't even need to go to IDP camps and dire need for development.

Chimera I would encourage you to do a road-trip of the North & Eastern Cities/Towns and those places are relatively safe (the major urban centres anyway)! Its certainly an experience to be remembered.

Chimera   

Che -Guevara;934168 wrote:
^I didn't say Somalia has no potential or you treat Somalis an enemy but ready for the grinding poverty. I know you are something else, I encourage to see IDP camps.

Huh? Why I would I need to visit the IDP camps when the Federal Government is already working on this situation as we speak? I am neither a millionaire, nor do I have the necessary real-estate connections to provide the IDPs with a home. What purpose would my visit there serve? I'm already well aware of the grinding poverty, I wouldn't have to send a cut of my own money back every month if this wasn't the case.

I don't get this "be prepared for hell" sentiment some of you are projecting, as if I would go there thinking I'm in Monaco.

OdaySomali;934170 wrote:
Have you gone 'back' before?

As a baby.

Blessed.....Somalis are generally good people exception majority of Solers (:D). I just wanted to contextualize things for Chimera. I went to the Kenyan refugee camps, very hardworking people but the extreme poverty was overwhelming.

Juxa....I am moving to suburbia not Somalia, white picket fence and all.

As you were Chimera.

Juxa;934171 wrote:
Che goormee is xureynee oo baxee? If ibti has gone back for good and Adam is going for visit?

Juxa, what was your experience of Xamar & Hargeisa?

Chimera   

OdaySomali;934178 wrote:
Chimera I would encourage you to do a road-trip of the North & Eastern Cities/Towns and those places are relatively safe (the major urban centres anyway)! Its certainly an experience to be remembered.

Exactly, I need to experience it. I also need to scout locations for potential films and tv-shows, and we both know good pictures of the country are hard to come by. All of this is still just speculation, nothing set in stone, only the desire is there.

Chimera;934179 wrote:
As a baby.

Ever the more reason to go. But the first experience = sensory overload, information overload.

Chimera;934183 wrote:
Exactly, I need to experience it. I also need to scout locations for potential films and tv-shows, and we both know good pictures of the country are hard to come by. All of this is still just speculation, nothing set in stone, only the desire is there.

I'm also looking thinking about going back, inshAllah, but with purpose and a plan this time and to put some things into action.

Juxa   

Oday, xamar was rough the first few days. I chose to stay with relatives instead of wasting the money on hotels when there is so much need.

I really enjoyed it. Waking up, seeing relatives etc. I tried to limit going out to places where the qurbawi gather and instead went to the suuq with the girls, attempted public transport, donned indho shareer etc.

When I got to hargeysa I was spoilt rotten and just relaxed. I also tried to see the locals and have nothing but great experience on both cities. I will go again this year insha Allah, hopefully for longer

Haatu   

Chimera;934183 wrote:

Someone should set up a production company and make a drama on the lives of Cilmi Boodhari and Caraweelo one day. I'd much rather watch that than dreary Eastenders.

Safferz   

Juxa;934199 wrote:
Oday, xamar was rough the first few days. I chose to stay with relatives instead of wasting the money on hotels when there is so much need.

I really enjoyed it. Waking up, seeing relatives etc. I tried to limit going out to places where the qurbawi gather and instead went to the suuq with the girls, attempted public transport, donned indho shareer etc.

When I got to hargeysa I was spoilt rotten and just relaxed. I also tried to see the locals and have nothing but great experience on both cities. I will go again this year insha Allah, hopefully for longer

Not to derail the thread, but how safe did you feel in Mogadishu vs. your experience of Hargeisa?

Safety in Mogadishu and Hargeisa is night and day. The latter, I was able to to lurk around town 3 am (walking), while in Xamar, I was scolded on the daily for returning past maghrib (driving)