Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Cost of renting a house/room in Mogadishu?

Ibtisam   

It is an expensive time to go Adam. Places with high security and filled with Diaspora is around $3,000- $2500 rent for the whole house- so depending on how many people sharing- $500 is a good estimate.

Chimera;934054 wrote:
Anyone know? Something close to the beach, somewhere with cosmopolitan minded people.
:D

how does it feel to finally be able to start a REAL journey?

Chimera   

*Ibtisam;934062 wrote:
It is an expensive time to go Adam. Places with high security and filled with Diaspora is around $3,000- $2500 rent for the whole house- so depending on how many people sharing- $500 is a good estimate.

That's crazy, I could rent something in Notting hill for that same price, they are taking the piss.

Ibtisam   

Per month- but Im sure a few more months- 6-7 anf those prices will become weekly!! Huge price rises.

OF course if you have local connections you can rent in the none secure areas for $150-$300 but only for the brave souls willing to cross to the side where the normal community lives with all its risks.

Lol @ Notting Hill- Well it wont be the same luxury as notting hill.

Chimera   

*Ibtisam;934070 wrote:
Per month- but Im sure a few more months- 6-7 anf those prices will become weekly!! Huge price rises.

OF course if you have local connections you can rent in the none secure areas for $150-$300
but only for the brave souls willing to cross to the side where the normal community lives with all its risks.

Lol @ Notting Hill- Well it wont be the same luxury as notting hill.

Nah, everything about me shouts Qurbojoog and I have a habit of infuriating hardcore thugs just by breathing air here in merry old London, let alone recovering Mogadishu still dealing with insecurity, to big a risk. I might settle in Garowe, since I'm not sure how well Hargeisa welcomes an ultra-nationalist of the Blue pursuasion lol, especially with Alpha and his ma istidhi crew wandering around.

Ibtisam   

It depends on what you are doing- if you are a unionist advocating for the destruction of SL or have Political voice and motivation dont come, but regular folks walk around with diverse views and go on about their business.

Garowe- all I know about that place is they cook beer with water rather than frying it and full of ultra-religious vocal men- girls always come back complaining about how many layers they have to wear in the heat. lol

When you think of going?

Location is "the" factor. Live in a big house near the airport could cost you as much as $6000 a month, live in Xamarweyne you get can a a small humble home for 300, single home in war dhigle we are now talking 1.5k, but thats a big home. there are various factors at play, size and location

Living near the beach is another factor. which beach? If we are talking Jazeera, you can find yourself a nice place for a cheap price. you may even be able to afford to buy some land. but with the bumpy roads we are talking a 30-40 minute drive to the heart of the city, because jazeera lies in the outskirts. Lido, will cost you. Xamar weyne is on the coast as well, though not the most attractive beach, you can find some cheap prices there. You can always drive to one of the beaches. it wouldn't take you very long. plus chances are you will be able to get a view of it from most rooftops in the city. so i wouldn't make that a pivotal factor.

Ibtisam- prices are not going to go up, they are going to go down. Xamar is experiencing a housing bubble

Wadani   

*Ibtisam;934089 wrote:
It depends on what you are doing- if you are a unionist advocating for the destruction of SL or have Political voice and motivation dont come, but regular folks walk around with diverse views and go on about their business.

Exactly Ibtisam. People don't realize how welcoming Hargaysa is and that many of its inhabitants are Somalis from other regions. Like Ibtisam said, don't call for the destruction of the state and u'll be fine regardless of your views.

Chimera   

*Ibtisam;934089 wrote:

In the 7 years I have been here on SOL, have I ever called for the destruction of SL? That's not my style.

Garowe- all I know about that place is they cook beer with water rather than frying it and full of ultra-religious vocal men- girls always come back complaining about how many layers they have to wear in the heat. lol

When you think of going?

After Ramadan, around Sep/Oct. There is a unique company I want to start but I need some experience and connections on the ground first. A cousin of mine is based in Puntland, so I probably will crash there and visit the other cities by staying at hotels.

Ibtisam   

Somali well lets hope the bubble burst soon or it would be another Angola.

Adam- not that I know of- with that in mind you shall be perfectly fine in Hargeisa or anywhere else- dont let the Diaspora online fidi ku diri scare you. The reality is Somali's true to their nomadic nature roam all over the place.

Juxa was amazed when she came to see me- I think she was expecting in la shiido or dhagax lagu turturo :D :D but aside from crude honesty- there are no other risks to your wealth, health or safety.

cadnaan1   

Xafiisyada waxay u badanyihiin wadada maka-almukarama ilaa iyo airportka qiima waa ugu yaraan 300 dollar qolyar oo xafiis ku filan. Xaga nabadgalyada hadaadan siyaasada shaqo ku laheen dhib ma lahan.

Wardhiigley (or as they like to call, Warta Nabada) is the cheapest place in all over Xamar. Very close to everything (Police Stations, few Amisom checkpoints) the beach, and some of the worst people in all of Benaadir. Not a nice place....but it sure is cheap though.