Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Memorizing somali poetry

An article for wardheernews discussing the poem

Macaan iyo Qadhaadh – a Poetic Reflection of Human Duality

(A poem by Ahmed Ismael Diriye (Qassim)

Reviewed by A. Duale Sii'arag

September 10 , 2009

In his classic poem, Macaan iyo Qadhaadh, Qassim - the late legendary Somali oral poet - in the spirit of poet-seers such as William Blake or Yeats- contextualizes his poetry on a universalistic character as opposed to the particularistic fixation of certain mundane topics that is the fashion of most contemporary Somali poets. His are classics in that they stand to time and space and address perplexing questions that are relevant to human kind no matter which geographic location that they are situated, or their belief systems or ethnicity: By that account, he is revolutionary in so many facets.

Take Macaan iyo Qadhaadh, and one can discern Qassim’s revolutionary capacity to gauge the human spirit with all its warts rather eloquently. The poem speaks to the universal duality of the human constitution and the capacity of human beings to possess an inexplicable and acute propensity for both good and evil, with its inherent oppositional binaries and contradictions that subtlely steers it. It is a universal human trait that has for over a millennium brought down the saintly, the warrior, the generous hearted and all good and great men (and women)-a Hubris- and see them tumble mightily and tragically in a spectacle not unlike those of ancient Greek theatre.

Like Blake, Qassim here delves into poetic themes addressed by ancient Chinese Taoist poets even though there is no factual evidence that Qassim may have read Chinese literature, much less Taoist, Eastern or even Vedantic literature. His elaboration and exposition of the Yin/Yan duality of the human character or even soul is reminiscent of the constant theme of ancient Chinese and Eastern literature and philosophy that almost make him a kindred spirit of those ancient Eastern Maguses.

On another more local level, in Macaan iyo Qadhaadh, Qassim lucidly portrays not only himself but the duality of the complex Somali persona and the symbiosis of its innate split personality traits that are inherently in a state of perpetual love and hate relationships – a mere microcosmic mirror of the alternating feelings of amity and animosity between the Somali clans, the hardnosed, non-delivering political leaders and the emergent parvenu Sheikhs who are engaged in an ever-shifting alliances and allegiances.

As a matter of fact, Macaan iyo Qadhaadh could be construed as an artistic depiction of present day Somali politics at its raw stage which is neither cogent nor coherent. Unlike any other politics, it is not traceably principle-based or context-driven but rooted in shifting sands; often marred with inconsistence and the absence of a national platform. Like the Somali persona, it is characteristically dynamic and asymmetrical in its application. In his book, Warriors, Life and death among the Somalis, Gerald Hanley aptly describes the complexity of the Somali character. “Of all the races of Africa, there cannot be one better to live among than the most difficult, the proudest, the bravest, the vainest, the most merciless, the friendliest: the Somalis.”

Qassim was known for his outspoken exposition of national failings, philosophical erudition and foresight and for his knack of interpreting and conveying popular, groundswell sentiments of the populace through insurgent and expressive poetry. Humble, well-loved and congenial, throughout his life, he was the seminal voice for the downtrodden - a rebel with a cause who defied abusive authority and stayed course in trying times and in the face of adversity. In the spirit of H.L Mencken, his life was about “ afflicting the comfortable and comforting the afflicted”.

Metaphorically, Macaan and Qadhaadh is a mere symptomatic reflection of the many shades, attributes and imperfections of the human being, while literally it connotes the aggregate summation of the poet’s life time quest to reconcile his opposite – often contradictory - distinguishing traits.

Ironically, in this classic poem, Qassim was a judge unto himself and an author of his performance appraisal. From this piece, one cannot help but think that Qassim has trained his poetic eye into the bowels and abysses of his very soul and found an uncanny commonality with a universal Human, and all too Human archetype.

Let us pay tribute to our legendary poet, Ahmed Ismael Diriye (Qassim), and celebrate his immense contributions to the Somali poetry through one of his best work of art – a work he hoped to be his legacy - Macaan iyo Qadhaadh (bitter and sweet). With entrancing, flowing lyrical beauty – a typical signature of Qassim, the poem attained a household fame in the Somali peninsula.

Macaan iyo Qadhaadh has been translated into English by B.W. Andrzejewski (with Sheila Andrzejewski). To the delight of music-loving young Somali generation, the poem was later immortalized by the melodic voice of our beloved late singer, oud player and lyricist Omer Dhulleh.

http://wardheernews.com/Articles_09/September/Sii'arag/06_Macaan_&_Qadaadh.html

Some words I struggled with. Feel free to drop by and clarify these words peeps

Dacartuba

maata

daadihise

mur

deebaaqe

Masalooyin

talantaalliyaan

maagista

miiggan

Mukhawi

miis(ta)

maqaam

******taane------------------------------freakin censorship the beginning of the word is the subclan of farole m a j e r

Loofaroon

muunad

boosaystay

muhato

Coofle   

Dacar = Somali for Aloe vera (bitter aloe)

maato = dadka itaalka daran (gaar ahaan caruurta iyo dadka waawayn)

daadihin = "daadah dibada baro" holding a child's hand while he/she learning how to walk

mur = Arabic word for Qadhaadh

deebaaq = geed qadhaadh

Masalooyin = Arabic word for Examples

talantaali = opposite

maagis = gardaraysi

miigan = madax adag/ caniid ah

Mukhawi = From the town of Mukha in yemen , nowdays waxa la yidhaa Maakhiri, means "Qof khiyaamo badan"

miista = meel ku gura/ miisaama/ for example if you are in a shop and a somali lady says ( kiiloo sokor ah ii miis) Means ii miisaan kiiloo sokor ah.

Maqaam = Arabic word for (maqaamka sheekh hebel) the Tomb of a renowned sheikh

Majee.rtane= I have explained this word in the first page of this thread, Remember difference between Xan/kuunid/Majee.rasho

Loofaroon = The english word Loafer .... Back in the days before I learned this forsaken language I thought it was Lover...

Muunad= Midab/color

booyaystay = I think , cirreystay

muhato = doonto/rabto.

Coofle   

Sadexda tuduc ee ugu horeeya ayaa ugu qiimo badan gabayga....Let me try to translate with my simple pathetic english

1- Dacartuba mar bay malab dhashaa ood muudsataa dhabaqe

Even the aloe -Known to be bitter- gives a nectar as sweet as honey

2-Waxaan ahay macaan iyo qadhaad meel ku wada yaale

[i am] bitter and sweetness in the same place --in reference to the aloe

3-Midigtayda iyo bidixdaydu waa laba mataanoode

My right and left hands are twins..

This gabay is a classic example for "Sillan-sugan" ?!

Coofle your service is greatly appreciated. mahadsanid. marka aan abwaan noqto mahadnaq bad leedahay ;).

Btw despite your claims of simple english, your translation seems spot on. I now understand the poem... The next to do is memorize it. I make some progress with the first few lines.

In the mean time I have memorized a very short Sayids poem. I will type the poem below from memory.

Sagaal nin oo walaala sideena

oo sideedu isku bahtahay sidiina

midkuna bah gooni yahay sidayda

oo sideedu wax siri sidiina

midkuna sirta ku garan sidayda

haddaynu isa siri sideedaba

ma iska kala tagnaa sideenaba

a copy of the piece...

Hooyoy La'aantaa

Adduunyadu Hubaashii

Habeen Kama Baxdeenoo

Iftiin Lama Heleenoo

Dadku Uma Hayaameen

Dayax Heego Joogoo

Sida Haad Ma Fuuleen

Xiddig Hawd Ka Lulatoo

hawo Laguma Gaadheen

Hubka Laguma Tureen

cirka Hirar Ka Muuqdoo

ruuxaad Hagaysiyo

dusha Midho Ku Haystaa

hilin Toosan Waligii

ka Habaabi Maayee

Hooyoy Addoomuhu

Halkay Maanta Joogaan

Adigaa U Horseedee

Intaad Hanad Xambaartee

Haaneedka Siisee

Horaaddada Jaqsiisee

Habtay Baan Xisaabiyo

Tiro Lagu Helayn,

Marka Aad Nin Hiilloo

Laga Baqo Hashiisiyo

Halyey Diran Dhashaa Baa

Hooyo Lagu Xasuustaa.

Marka Aad Nin Hoo-loo

marti Hagar Ka Gelinoo

Gurigiisa Habaqluhu

Isku Soo Halleeyoo

xayntiisa Quudhoo

Hor Ilaahay Geystiyo

Lama Hure Dhashaa Baa

Hooyoy Lagu Xasuustaa.

Marka Aad Nin Himilada

Hilin Toosan Mariyoo

Hir Markii La Gaadhaba

Ku Labaad Hilaadshoo

haga Maatadiisoo

La Higsade Dhashaa Baa

Hooyo Lagu Xasuustaa.

Marka Aad Nin Hooggiyo

Ka Hor Taga Dagaalkoo

dabka Hura Baqtiiyoo

Garta Hubin Yaqaanoo

Xaqa Hoos U Eegoo

Halistiyo Colaadaha

ku Hagoogta Dhiigoo

Dadka Kala Hagaajoo

Kala Hage Dhashaa Baa

Hooyo Lagu Xasuustaa.

Markaad Hoobal Caanoo

sacabka Iyo Heelada

Labadaba Hagaajoo

Hindisaha Farshaxanoo

Hab-dhaca Iyo Luuqdaba

rabi Hibo U Siiyoo

Hawraarta Maansada

Heensayn Yaqaanoo

Hal-abuur Dhasha Baa

Hooyo Lagu Xasuustaa.

Dumar Iyo Haween Baa

Nolol Lagu Haweystaa

Kuwa Lagu Hammiyayee

Sida Hawd Caleen Wayn

Rag U Wada Hamuumee

Ishu Halacsanaysaa

Hablahaaga Weeyee.

Marka Guur La Haybshee

Gabadh Heego Dheeroo

Hoobaan La Moodoo

Karti Iyo Hub-qaadloo

Quruxdana Ka Hodanoo

Hira Laga Aroostaa

Hooyo Lagu Xasuustaa.

Hooyoy La'aantaa

Higgaad Lama Barteenoo

Hooyoy La'aantaa

Hadal Lama Kareenoo

Ruuxaanad Habinoo

Kolba Aanad Heesiyo

Hoobey Ku Sabinoo

Hawshaada Waayaa

Hanaqaadi Maayee

hooyo Taftaada

dugsi Laga Helaayoo

Hooyoy Dhabtaadaa

Hurdo Lagu Gam'aayoo

Hooyoy Dushaadaa

Nabad Lagu Helaayoo

Waxa Lagu Hal-maalaa

Hooyo Ababintaadee

Hayin Lagu Badhaadhaay

Hogol Lagu Qaboobaay

Gogol Lama Huraaneey

Dugsigi Lagu Hirtaayee

Hidde Lagu Arooraay.

Intaad Hooyo Nooshahay

Hambalyiyo Salaan Baan

Hanti Kaaga Dhigayaa

Hamrashiyo Xaq-dhowr Baan

Dusha Kaa Huwinayaa,

Hooyo Dhimashadaaduna

Hooggayga Weeyoo

Weligey Hoggaagaan

Ka Dul Heesayaayoo

Hiyiga Iyo Laabtaan

Kugu Haynayaayoo

Hengel Baan U Xidhayaa

Inta Haadka Duushiyo

Idil Habar Dugaaggee

Ifka Hibo Ku Noolow

Aakhiro Halkii Roon

hooyo la'aanta

addunyadu hubashii

habeen kama baxdeeno

iftiin lama heleeno

dadku uma hayameen

dayax heego joogo

sidi haad mafuulen

xidig hawd ka lulatoo

hawo laguma gaareen

hubka laguma tureen

ruux aad hagaysiyo usha mid aad u haysaa

hilin toosan weligiiha habaabii mayee

hooyo addunku halku maanta

jogo adigow horseedoo

intaad hanad xambartee

haneedka siisee

horadada jaqsiisee

habtay baad xisab iyo tiro lagu heleyno

marka aad nin hiilo

laga baqo hashishiyo

halyey diran dashaabaa

hooyo lagu xasuuustaa

marka aad nin hoo loo

gurigisa habaqluhu

isku soo hayellow _______

hooyo lagu xasuustaa

marka aad nin himlada

hilin toosan mariyo______________________

_____________--

hooyo lagu xasuustaa

That is all i got so farrrrrrrrrr and time is running out!!!

Coofle   

Nice choice...Hooyooy la'aantaa is a classic..

Just listen to tubeec's Hooyooy la'aantaa while driving, or put it in your mp3 list, listen to over and over...and you will see yourself reiterating it ..

it always moves me when the song reaches..

Hooyooy dhimashadaaduna

hoogayga weeyoo

Hengal baan u xidhayaa

inta haadka duushiyo

giddi habar dugaagee

Ifka hibo ku noolaw

Aakhirana halkii roon...

I know the lyrics are not completely correct, but this is how I recall...

Haatu   

Coofle;938056 wrote:
He also adds

*Kub miyaan ka jabay , biixiyaan kabayo loo haynin...

Most of the poem is a metaphor from the start to end...he is comparing his predicament to a fractured hip!...

You see this is the hardest part for me understanding Somali poetry. To me hip is sin. Too many alternatives!

Haatu;949096 wrote:
You see this is the hardest part for me understanding Somali poetry. To me hip is
sin
. Too many alternatives!

Haatu when I read Somali poetry I always have a dictionary by my side.