Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Kismayo Update

The PM has not moved a needle to advance Hassan's political agenda (it is quite apparent he came to turn the political clock back). The local admin and Conference organizers are asking the federal government to respect federalism, and not oppose the conference.

It is a battle entirely fought within the constitutional theater---Federal Government is unsure what federal means but the local players it seems have mustered the fine prints of this new document . The contrast could not be more aptly illustrated; the old debunked from the center governance vs the new, fresh thinking as part of civil war lessons, political proposition manifested in the constitution that espouses, limit the center, empower the periphery.

Ever helpful to my brothers down South, I thought I would add this update to the situation:

Talks on southern Somalia administration deadlocked

27 March 2013

BBC Monitoring Newsfile

© 2013 The British Broadcasting Corporation. All Rights Reserved. No material may be reproduced except with the express permission of The British Broadcasting Corporation.

Talks on the creation of administrations for southern Somalia's Jubbaland regions are said to have hit a deadlock after conflicting demands were tabled by the Somali Federal Government and the interim administration led by the leader of pro-government militia in Kismaayo, reports privately-owned Shabelle website on 27 March.

Somalia's premier and leader of Raas Kaamboni militia are reportedly meeting in Towfiiq hotel in the southern port town of Kismaayo.

Raas Kaamboni leader Ahmad Madoobe, together with officials of the interim administration for the region, have proposed that the Somali Federal Government allow local residents to establish their own administration and agree to be hosted as guests in a summit for Jubbaland administrations.

On the other hand, Somalia's Premier Farah Shirdoon alongside his delegation propose that the interim administration allow government to steer the process of creating administrations for Jubba regions as they are currently establishing interim leaderships for regions in southern Somalia.

Advocates representing Ahmad Madoobe argue that related articles in the constitution are erroneous.

Amisom officials, AU representatives are reportedly in attendance at the meeting which is said to have hit a deadlock as both parties have failed to find a middle ground.

Source: Shabeelle Media Network website, Mogadishu, in Somali 27 Mar 13

It seems Oodweyne's analysis of the two positions was spot on. Even GaroweOnline is reporting the current storyline...

PM Visits Kismayo, Talks Hit a Wall

27 March 2013

Kismayo, Mar 27, 2013 (Garowe Online/All Africa Global Media via COMTEX) -- Sources in Kismayo tell GO that talks between the Somali Federal Government (SFG) and the interim administration in Kismayo hit a deadlock, Garowe Online reports.

A SFG delegation that included members of the federal parliament and Minister of Defense Abdihakim Haji Mohamud Fiqi and Minister of Interior Abdikarim Hussein Guled arrived in Kismayo on Sunday and met with interim administration leader Sheikh Ahmed Madoobe.

Following several appeals by Jubaland residents for the SFG participate in the process, the SFG delegation visited Kismayo to revive the lifeless talks between the two sides on how to proceed with the Jubaland state conference.

Sources say that talks hit a roadblock when the SFG delegation proposed that they select provisional regional administrations for Gedo, Lower and Middle Jubba. The same request was made during Minister Guled and Minister Fiqi's February visit to Kismayo.

The SFG request was rejected again by Sheikh Madoobe and the interim administration who have been engaged in a state building process that includes over 400 constituents.

Following a delay, Prime Minister Abdi Farah Shirdon arrived in Kismayo on Tuesday to a large welcome. After briefly speaking to media, Shirdon met privately with officials. Sources tell GO he proposed the same initiative as the SFG delegation however was turned down. The talks have not broken down and will continue on Tuesday.

MPs from the region requested that Prime Minister Shirdon and the SFG take into consideration the Provisional Federal Constitution and the needs of Jubaland residents, and support the Jubaland state process.

The officials will continue to meet on Wednesday and will release a statement on the meetings in the coming days.

GAROWE ONLINE

Thanks for the update , Mintid.

Both reports are inline with what is fed to us from Kismayo. The PM is in a very bad, untenable position with respect to Jubbaland. He is perceived to be the shadow of the man who appointed him and came to Kismayo unprepared.

So far there is no clannish dimension to the conflict. It is the government vs the locals.

Xiin,

I asked you earlier(some days back) where the Speaker, Jawaari, stood on the issue. This is relevant since it will ultimately be the Federal Parliament that has to approve the future regions(according to the current constitution).

Care to answer this time?

P.S. if you think there's no clannish element to the situation then you're more delusional than I thought.

Mintid Farayar;931012 wrote:
Xiin,

I asked you earlier(some days back) where the Speaker, Jawaari, stood on the issue. This is relevant since it will ultimately be the Federal Parliament that has to approve the future regions(according to the current constitution).

Care to answer this time?

P.S. if you think there's no clannish element to the situation then you're more delusional than I thought.

All I hear is crickets whenever I ask this question;) What happened to our loquacious/verbose Xiin??

LOL

Jawaari is irrelevant to the Kismayo process. The constitution is the source of legitimacy , and it shall remain untouched till 2016. Last time I checked the man was dealing political crisis arising from his neck of the wood i.e threat of Ethiopian withdrawal, local conflict in who administers Baydhabo.

In other words, as long the federal state formation process adheres to the constitutional requirement, Jawari will remain the capo class of the parliament

xiinfaniin;931057 wrote:
LOL

Jawaari is irrelevant to the Kismayo process. The constitution is the source of legitimacy , and it shall remain untouched till 2016.

Irrelevant?? The man who controls the agenda and session schedule of the Parliament is irrelevant? Xiin logic at its best!

Besides in an earlier thread with NORF, I thought you agreed that it/constitution stipulates the Parliament will ultimately have to ratify the new Federal States. Should I bring up the old thread to refresh all our memories?

I figured the reason you do the 'runner' whenever this question is asked is b/c of the Speaker's position on this issue.

Read below for further clarification....

Speaker of National Assembly Mr. Jawari On Bai Administration Building

27 March 2013

English

© 2013 AllAfrica, All Rights Reserved

Mar 27, 2013 (Shabelle Media Network/All Africa Global Media via COMTEX) -- Speaker of national assembly honorable Mohamed Sheikh Osman Jawari speaking at Baidoa the capital of Bai region today said that the Somali federal government will ensure forming a government from the grassroots in the region. He said that he will ensure the administration will be chosen by the people living in the region which will satisfy their needs.

Jawari talking to the media also said that members of parliament from the region will have to move to the region so that the administration will be efficient

He continued saying that members of the public must support members of parliament and work on security so that peace and stability to be achieved.

On the other side, Mr. Jawari said that members of the public living in Bai needed to be informed that working with the government was an important thing so that peace can be achieved and transparent working administration was in place.

The news comes at a time when Mr. jawari had a visit to the region to solve crisis in administration building in the region

All Africa Global Media

It seems, my friend, that Hassan Sheikh and co. are doing a full-court press on the issue.... even using the legal backstop of the Parliament to derail the 'project'.

You see, I just gave you another freebie. Yet you show 'no love'.... Ahh, pirates...

^^Mintid,

You cant have both ways---if you ask us, consider our answers. Or don't bother waryaa. The constitution is frozen and shall never be subject for changes till 2016. That leaves him with one task, and one task only : defend and preserve the constitution till the national referendum in 2016.

^They cannot play around with the constitution, that will be matters greater than Jubbaland issue and will wake up the sleeping giant in the room that's Puntland. Faroole made it clear and demanded Culusow's to tone down his anti-federalism rhetoric which he fully adherehed to and also made Saacid to sign a whole new and different document in Garowe.

^^A new document indeed

ayaamahan inaan federal ka aqrino miyeysan ogeyn, Faroole waxaa la baray inta federalka distoorka kaga qoran oo keliya wax kale dan iyo xaajo lagama laha

Kismaayo, March 27,2013——Wasiirka Arrimaha Gudaha iyo Amniga Qaranka Mudane C/kariin Xuseen Guuleed oo galabta shir shir jaraa’id u qabtay bahda warbaahinta magaalada Kismaayo ayaa faah faahin kooban ka bixiyay kulamo ay saacadihii ugu dambeeyey la qaateen qeybaha kala duwan ee magaalada, gaar ahaana maamulka magaalada, odayaasha, iyo waxgaradkaba.

Wasiirka ayaa tilmaamay in kulan ay maanta wada yeesheen guddiyo matalaya dowladda iyo maamulka Kismaayo oo soconayay saacado lagu gorfeeyey qodobo ay ka mid ahaayeen sidii maamul rasmi ah loogu dhisi lahaa jubbooyinka, dhaqangelinta Nidaamka Federaalka, iskaashiga Amniga, Dhaqaalaha, gaar ahaana dakhliga ka soo xarooda Dekedda iyo Garoonka, iyo qodobo kale, waxaana Wasiirku uu sheegay in natiijada rasmiga ah ay warbaahinta u sheegi doonaan marka ay soo dhamaadaan kulamadan.

Guddiyada matalaya labada dhinac ayaa waxaa kala hogaaminaya Wasiirka Arrimaha Gudaha iyo Amniga Mudane C/kariin, halka dhanka maamulka Kismaayo uu hogaaminayo Macalin Maxamed.

Wasiirka ayaa dhanka kale, xusay in ay jirto ifafaalo wanaagsan oo ku aadan in wadahadaladani ay ku soo dhamaadaan is faham. wuxuuna shacabka ka codsaday inay taageeraan go’aanada la gaaro.

xiinfaniin;931107 wrote:
Dhaqaalaha, gaar ahaana dakhliga ka soo xarooda Dekedda iyo Garoonka, iyo qodobo kale
[/u]
[/b]

Follow the money, I say ;)

If an agreement can be reached on that thorny issue, all else will fall into place.....

But greed and rationale don't go together.

I think that is one of the easy ones, just like Puntland federal government will have a right to collect revenue based on revenue sharing scheme .

The one thing that cannot be subject for compromise is the formation of a full federal state for the 3 regions.