Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Somalia: the EU enhances food security by combatting desertification in Puntland, 25 million EUR

xabad   

xiinfaniin;928326 wrote:
Somalia needs this

NO, somalia does not it. when will this perpetual beggar mentality end.

Somalia: the EU enhances food security by combatting desertification in Puntland

Europian Union

Press release

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Today, the European Union and its partners, Adeso and CARE, have signed two contracts allowing them to carry out a new environmental programme that will assist Puntland, the North East region of Somalia, in managing the fragile and heavily degraded rangeland.

Environment degradation in Puntland is a serious concern for the local population. It threatens the environment and the local economy, mainly based on livestock and pastoral activities, as it affects the large area of land partially covered by shrubs and trees used predominantly for extensive livestock grazing. Climatic hazards, absence of effective management and charcoal production (however banned since 2002) has accelerated land degradation. That is why the EU has decided to finance a major programme that will cover the entire rangeland of Puntland for a period of 4 years.

With a total amount of 25 million EUR, the EU will contribute to reversing the desertification cycle by assisting the Puntland authorities in effective management of rangelands and by empowering 120 communities in the region to identify the conservation priorities of natural resources in their territories.

The new initiative, that will be implemented by CARE and ADESO, will create alternative employment opportunities to rural populations through revived rangeland-based livelihoods and "Cash for Work" activities. Additionally, the programme will address the issue of charcoal consumption in urban areas by supporting the use of different sources of cooking fuel (LPG).

The EU programme is part of a European Union worldwide initiative that seeks to improve the Millennium Development Goals (MDG). This initiative will particularly contribute to Somalia's MDG 1, eradicating extreme poverty and hunger, and MDG 7, ensuring environmental sustainability.

Haatu   

It is a good thing but Somalis themselves can achieve much more by themselves.

Check this vid out. It rains in these regions but most of the rain is lost when the water runs through the valleys and into the ocean. If the locals could organise themselves and damn the valleys to stop the water escaping, we might just see the great P/land deserts turn green:

Envious of exactly what xiin ?

Don't know , xabad! Can't think of any other reason to reject the only oil for the wheels of progress that's available now for Somalis.

Come on, Haatu. Even Kenya gets $1 billion from US alone for development aid.

xabad   

Xiin, don't think everything through the prism of clan and petty somali cuqdad ninyow. I am genuinely against this corrupting and humiliating so called western Aid. i swear we can survive and thrive without their Aid. Think outside the box and read what Aid has done: the distortions and disincentives for the recipients, not to mention the indebtedness ( remember nothing is free ). Also, who was giving the developed countries Aid when their developing.

Lets put it this way: to say this development is need and appreciated is understatement. Yours is at best a naive statement, ignoring the impact of twenty two years of lack of functioning government...perhaps you also think the aid to address the famine from western countries and Turkey was also NOT needed because 'i swear we can survive and thrive without their Aid'

Haatu   

xiinfaniin;928359 wrote:
Come on, Haatu. Even Kenya gets $1 billion from US alone for development aid.

That's irrelevant. I just gave you an example of how the locals can improve their environment without a dime from anybody so don't be so quick to dismiss it. Aid isn't always the answer and leads to dependency. Self help is sustainable and builds local confidence in themselves. Remember how Somalia kick started it development through iskaa wax u qabso?

^^You cannot possibly come back with such a lame answer, Haatu :D

Somalia needs every penny it can get from anyone to stand on its feet.

Haatu   

War we're talking about stopping desertification, not economic development. Desertification can be stopped and reversed very easily and with minimal outside help if the will is there.

As for economic development, then you need aid initially but investment in the medium to long term.

PS: I refer you to further proof of my point, bacaadcelintii Shalambood.

^^Help me understand your point, Haatu.

1- Are you saying the 25 million EURO announced to develop Puntland region of Somalia is a mistake , and is not needed.

2- Are you saying this money is needed and timely but it is too much for the desert region called Puntland ?

Haatu   

I'm am saying, every little helps, but the communities themselves can do much more to stop desertification by themselves. Just like Xabashida in the video I posted. Just damn a few togs and you're good to go. Even seasonal farming will become viable then. If you read the book Warriors, the author (the British soldier) talks about how he had the same idea and actually started it and lo and behold food was grown, in the 1940s. But remeber, we're talking about desertification here.

Aside from all this talk, what I should've asked was, how comes no one (within the community) thought of doing what I said a long time ago?