Sign in to follow this  
Siciid1986

Somaliland:Hargeisa International airport revamp entering final stage of work

zamatar   

N.O.R.F;918853 wrote:
Concrete and steel reinforcement from about 2m below ground is required and that is expensive.

Waa la eegi.

it doesnt look like that, it looks like they have only removed the top layer(s), then lay on the asphalt,

it would be interesting to see built drawings from old design....

N.O.R.F   

^They have extended it so it was a case of excavating the earth at the end of the runway, backfilling with crushed stone or hard material then compacting it before laying the asphalt. Just like a road. A runway is far more complicated and involves a lot of concrete and reinforement bars.

Rahima;919072 wrote:
NORF,

Why don't you go back and work on the project yourself- the homeland needs skills like yours (I'm only assuming that you're in engineering from your posts above). Just came back from my uncles house and according to him there is a massive shortage of qualified and skilled engineers.

I did think about it and I did enquire but I came across govnt individuals who are very protective of their roles and are very reluctant to let anyone with experience in the door. The only option I see is to establish an office there with my current employer (who is willing). Maybe after my current workload.

Tallaabo   

I immediately began to worry when I first saw pictures of how they were building the runway. It looked more like they were building an ordinary road!! I saw no excavated ground and no concrete. It looked nothing like the photos I saw of the other international airports under construction. God save us all. How big are the planes expected to land on that runway? I think I once heard a minister say they are waiting for the biggest of the big planes!!!

I have never seen a run way built with asphalt not even regional airports that I have been to. This runway will not last long if they are going to let Jet liners to land. At least what they could have done is to get the first 30m and last 30m of the runway into reinforced concrete while the rest of the runway remains asphalt.