Sign in to follow this  
metta

300 students, involving Somalis and AA's, start food fight/race riot in high school, 4 hospitalized

Safferz;933151 wrote:
lol well I've only recently started posting regularly on SOL, so I'm only just starting to get a sense of the different personalities on here. Alpha has been trolling me since finding out I'm a doctoral student, hence all the comments about me being "uppity," "arrogant," a "pseudo-intellectual," etc.

why are you telling people my attempts to intellectually seduce you via the PMs, inaar?

i'm SHOCKED. we're finished now. thanks alot. nacala shakakakla!

as if i had any shame left on these boards, an EXCLUSIVE slip of the tongue by SOL's finest doctor has ruined my lone-man credentials . thanks alot, saffzoow. we're finished! like i said. i hope you understand this!. leave me alone, okay? for goodness sakes, how am i going to explain this to Chubacky the Wacky, 5, Narnaih, somalicentric and all those other chicks i've ''allegedly'' dated via the PMs. my secret is out now and i will cry myself to sleep this African tonight. :(

There is no doubt that a bad environment, lack of parent involvement, and a poor education system or one that perpetuate inequalties & prejudice is a detrimental combination. Caruuro waraabeyaal la dhex dhejiyey la yaab ma leh in ay xumaadaan ama in ay waxbarashada ka dhacaan. That in it's self is demotivating. However, that's where parents comes in. As mentioned earlier, many parents needs to be more engaged and aware of their kids learning situation.

Safferz   

Haatu;933166 wrote:
Don't resort to insults. It's not a very good look.

Calling someone naive is not a personal attack, it's saying that your line of argument is unsophisticated and shows a lack of understanding context outside of your own. Get over it.

Alpha Blondy;933172 wrote:
why are you telling people my attempts to intellectually seduce you via the PMs, inaar?

i'm SHOCKED. we're finished now. thanks alot. nacala shakakakla!

as if i had any shame left on these boards, an EXCLUSIVE slip of the tongue by SOL's finest doctor has ruined my lone-man credentials . thanks alot, saffzoow. we're finished! like i said. i hope you understand this!. leave me alone, okay? for goodness sakes, how am i going to explain this to Chubacky the Wacky, 5, Narnaih, somalicentric and all those other chicks i've ''allegedly'' dated via the PMs. my secret is out now and i will cry myself to sleep this African tonight.
:(

For the record, I dumped Alpha first. Ma'asalama!

Chimera;933003 wrote:

In 10 years time based on the current rate of Somalis entering higher education, getting employed and the hitching of bi-lingual couples, not to mention the rebirth of the motherland, will mean all of these issues we are facing - terrorism, crime, confusion and poverty - will be a thing of the past at best, or reduced significantly at worse.

You mean people will not be making excuses for them for failing like the blacks in America? The issue now is the language barrier as you say, and I hope that you wont pull the race card in 10 years to explain why they're still failing.

Haatu   

Safferz;933192 wrote:
Calling someone naive is not a personal attack, it's saying that your line of argument is unsophisticated and shows a lack of understanding context outside of your own. Get over it.

!

You can disagree with someone but to call their opinion "unsophisticated" and "naive" is insulting. But I don't takes things like that to heart. This is a forum after all.

Chimera   

AfricaOwn;933194 wrote:
You mean people will not be making excuses for them for failing like the blacks in America? The issue now is the language barrier as you say, and I hope that you wont pull the race card in 10 years to explain why they're still failing.

I won't have to, the lovely Somali parents of the new generation are pro-active, they are educated and they are determined to see their kids become productive citizens:

mvpjgt.jpg

“What we find,’’ she says, “is that the [somali] parents are extremely focused on education. They will show up and bring their kids to our advantage centers for any program that will help their children be successful learners,’’ says Ruff, vice present of resource development for CommonBond Communities, the largest nonprofit provider of affordable housing with services in the Upper Midwest. Among those services are preschool programs, including Early Childhood Family Education programs provided by Minneapolis Public Schools.

http://www.minnpost.com/community-sketchbook/2011/10/report-shows-somali-kids-test-kindergarten-ready-why

There is no doubt in my mind the earlier generation was at the same level as the Spanish, because of the language barrier and it was an uphill struggle.

Chimera   

Safferz;933151 wrote:
lol well I've only recently started posting regularly on SOL, so I'm only just starting to get a sense of the different personalities on here. Alpha has been trolling me since finding out I'm a doctoral student, hence all the comments about me being "uppity," "arrogant," a "pseudo-intellectual," etc.

Nah, I think its a pheromone issue for him lol.

Chimera;933209 wrote:

“What we find,’’ she says, “is that the [somali] parents are extremely focused on education. They will show up and bring their kids to our advantage centers for any program that will help their children be successful learners,’’ says Ruff, vice present of resource development for CommonBond Communities, the largest nonprofit provider of affordable housing with services in the Upper Midwest. Among those services are preschool programs, including Early Childhood Family Education programs provided by Minneapolis Public Schools.

There is no doubt in my mind the earlier generation was at the same level as the Spanish, because of the language barrier and it was an uphill struggle.

I don't think anyone is denying that language barrier as an obstacle to success. Say when they overcome that barrier, you can not use silly excuses such as the education system/area of resident as a factors of holding them back still.