Sign in to follow this  
oba hiloowlow

Somalia Needs a Justice and Reconciliation process

Yesterday I was watching this xus about a clan cleansing which happened in 91 and it made me think, how are somalia going to move on and develop if we got people among us like Abdi qeybdiid, Morgan,Qanyare,Barre Hiiraale and others roaming the streets of Kenya or Xamar just like that. I also realised without a justice and reconciliation process we will never move on and will be stuck in the 91 era. Marka Somaliyeey every clan should distance themselves from the war criminals and they should be taken to a international court for the crime they comitted against their fellow somalis. We need to adress this problem in a fair way we can't just pretend that some things never happened ,sn't it disrespectful for the people who lost their dear and near?

Marka a justice and a reconciliation process is very important for the future of Somalia and the government should focus on this.

Somalia   

Indeed, this was proposed by foremost Somali intellectual and leading scholar, former leader and Harvard graduate Abdiweli M. Ali. We must foster social reconciliation to move on.

How do we go about this, intellectual Oba?

metta   

The most logical thing to do would have been to call for a truth and reconciliation process years ago but we all know it would have been a platform for clan bashing against the inhabitants of south-central Somalia (HAG). They can say whatever they want in their homes or over the internet but I will not stand for it to be in the government records.

What I am more pissed off about is how these people have the audacity of hosting this event of lies in the city that I love and that gave birth to me. I take great offense to this. Not in my home! I will personally be monitoring them and reporting them to the authorities if they choose to engage in any hate speech against any group in the future.

Jacpher   

^lol@reporting.

Highly doubt if Somalis can objectively discuss this hot button issue and come to terms the crimes committed against all.

STOIC   

There is a sharp distinction between attacking a clan and shaming warlords.However painful this process is going to be,this is a needed discussion. Somalis should take the necessary first step toward dealing with yesterdays Warlords. Maybe this will not bring the Somali clans closer to a settlement.To the contrary it may exacerbate differences and may even create mistrust, but to deter future warlords we need a culture of shaming!!.

It is both ethical and universal to distance yourself from any corrupt leaders.It is the only way we can shaken-off the Somali curse of glorifying corrupt leaders! Only way we can file down any future Warlords fangs is to create a culture of shaming them. This will only foster a growing mood of political sobriety and civility in our people.Now we just can't organize a get-together in a restaurant and start bashing clans, but the wise ones among us can organize a grassroots campaign to bring the shame in the out for the world to see

Somalia;917276 wrote:
Indeed, this was proposed by foremost Somali intellectual and leading scholar, former leader and Harvard graduate Abdiweli M. Ali. We must foster social reconciliation to move on.

How do we go about this, intellectual Oba?

I think the government should host a 'dib uu heshisiin' conference in Xamar, a serious one not like those before.

Che -Guevara;917300 wrote:
Oba....I highly doubt 60,000 were killed in Beled Weyne, maybe if you add the later atrocities committed by Cusman Caato against reer Hiiraan.

Yeah i agree but thats what xiriiriyaha said 60 000 got killed in hiiraan from that clan. Koley he is somali exeggeration lagama wayo

nuune   

^^ Haven't listened to that dude about that figure, but he could be referring to those who were living in the Jalalaqsi area(xerada qaxootiga called Dirgows) and surroundings, and were unable to move and got stuck cuz every road leads to militia men control, most of the people escaped but there were others who couldn't make it, it is hard to get figure on this when you have large quantity of people mostly women and children who couldn't make the journey to escape, you will only need to listen to the people who escaped, and you will find yourself in tears, some of the stories are horrifying from one another(the most disturbing one I heard was throwing children and women(after being raped) into the river(wabiga jalalaqsi or Dirgows))

That aside, Hiiraan was indeed a story to some not to be mentioned at all.

well, my own family, we were at Suuqa Xoolaha trying to take the route out of Xamar to Balcad way, but militia men were closer and only military of the government at the time from this side of Balcad were the Hiilweyne army, who found themselvs stuck together with their families to take any route out, the Afgoye road was closed, the back one haba sheegin, so the Xamar route passing Suuqa Xoolaha was the only choice, and doing so was the most riskiest of all, you had to use manpower, all the militia men knew about this Hiilweyne army and their hundreds of families, so they were expecting something big bonus to happen and my family got stuck together with other families there for one whole day, I think we numbered nearly a thousand altogether all cramped together on vehicles for those who can find, only few were able to escape to the Ceymiska, only to be surrounded by militiamen from every side at there, another deadly hunting place, stuck there for a night and another day until we escaped to Xerada seven-sevenka, what happened that whole day at Suuqa Xoolaha, I can write a book about it, the vehicle we were in was carrying up to 100 people, it supposed to take only 40 people, I can say in honest, we happen to be only few families who came out alive out of this vehicle, it is hard to forget seeing all the people you knew dying slow death next to you and blood all over your bodies, and seeing them lying on the streets screaming for help and be spared, actually a friend of mine based in Canada is planning to write a book about that particular day, that day was actually nicknamed: Qabrigii .....ka(qabiil name hidden).

Glad no one of my family was hurt except a sister who encountered a minor bullet injury, I think we happened to be a lucky family, everyone else that day lost 3-5 children, everyone one lost a father or mother, a child/ren, or both parents, or a whole families wiped out(this was the case for most part of that gruesome day), my father wasn't with us that day though, I think Ilaah baa watey my family,

^^Ina Lilaahi waa ina ileeyhi raajicuun, me and my family walked to balcad i was 6 yrs my father got stuck in Wardhiigleey and couldn't leave so me and my small walaalo and my ayeeyo's walked ilaa balcad from kaaraan because there wasn't any trucks available i remember before we left Kaaraan some Militia where asking everyone about their abtiris My ayeeyo and our neighbours had to claim my subclan otherwise the militia would've killed them i thank god i didn't witness people getting killed infront me that would've scarred me.