Sign in to follow this  
Daqane

Mogadishu based think-tank HIPS [Heritage Institute for Policy Studies] first policy breifing...

Daqane;915905 wrote:
Mayaa brother minitid when I said conspiracy I did not mean it in a bad way just how Somalis have parallel universe explanations for every thing.

Please continue with your explanation, I know how fellowships work and I know something of the legwork Abdi Aynte put into setting this project up, lakiin I want you to finish your thoughts because am eager to hear...as you I am neutral, I am just happy that there is a different well organized voice in the discourse walaal.

Daqane,

So far, their first paper is promising in the nuanced positions it takes. However, I'm of the thought that Somali solutions(in the whole Somali peninsula, including Djibouti) must be completely Somali-owned, not only in manpower but, also critically, in funding. Outside funding allows powerful outside interests to strong-arm Somali interests.

Oodweyne;915946 wrote:
Well, I suppose we can openly say that
Chatham House's
first Somali offspring with lots of side money from the
ICG
is what we have in here. In other words, the smell of the perfidious British hands is all over this thing. No wonder, why the Brits are salivating over Somalia. This must be an issue that has something to do with the
"lapse-licence"
given to
BP
by the then Afweyne's government to explore Oil in the then
"Godan-Nugal Region"

Oodweyne,

I get your argument but it's not British-funded. It's a new player to the game with money to spare. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me to learn the Brits have given the go-ahead for this project.

Oodweyne,

Ha fogeyn Ingriiska...

They're just looking after their national interest. It's just that we, on our side, forgot to look after our national interest ;)

But the situation is not so dire as to be unsalvageable...

BTW, this Heritage group incorrectly claims to be the first local Somali think tank. What happened to the similar institution in Hargeisa led by Hussein Bulhan?

P.S. The British are not pulling the strings on this, but it's very possible they've greenlighted the project. There are ambitious new players to the game...

Haatu   

Oodweyne;915963 wrote:
^^
Mintid

And in this context, it must be bare in mind that
BP
still has some sort of an
"open licence"
to explore oil in Somalia. In fact, the first thing that
Chatham House
will be soon getting involve in will be to
"help"
the Somali government in Mogadishu, so that the old licences can be
"review"
and make those of the American and the British as a
"top priority"
for renewal; as opposed to given new ones to the likes of Turkey or even to China.

As for the impact these policies by the British have on Somaliland is concern. Lets just say, they told us -
by deeds
- as to where they stand when it comes to
"our sovereignty"
. And in that context, I know the Brits are only acting (as you, yourself have articulated it) the same slogan of their old country, namely:
"there is no permanent friend or a foe, but only that of interest"
(i.e., Lord Palmerston's political dictum). However, unfortunately for us, we have a government that is at sleep at the switch in Somaliland.

The BP and other western oil companies issue is already on the table.

As for the S/land government, maybe they know something that you and I don't hence the silence?