Sign in to follow this  
underdog

BB10 is here - with Alicia Keys?!?

underdog   

alicia_keys_blackberry-580x435.jpg

http://www.slashgear.com/alicia-keys-joins-blackberry-as-global-creative-director-30267364

BlackBerry 10 is probably the best BlackBerry that Research In Motion Ltd. has ever built. And after years of criticism that RIM’s smartphones lack the razzle-dazzle of wildly popular models from Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. and Apple Inc., the new BlackBerry 10 touchscreen phone – which The Globe and Mail got a sneak preview of on Tuesday – actually looks kind of cool.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/rims-blackberry-10-gets-some-rave-reviews/article7984249/

blackberry-z10.jpg

metta   

I kind of shrugged it off a few weeks ago but after tuning into the LIVE Blackberry 10 show within the early part of the hour, I was quite amazed. I was a former Blackberry user until I switched to Android (Samsung) exactly this month last year. I made the decision of never going back to Blackberry but I am not so certain anymore. It looks like a great phone. If I do buy it, it won't be anytime soon though. The CEO himself said it cost $149.99 with the US providers on a 3-year contract so I am guessing it will be a $650-$700 phone without contract. It's a bit expensive, especially considering that the competitor smart phones can be bought for possibly half the price of what the Blackberry 10 might be sold for (and may be better phones)

I was interested in buying the Samsung Note II (and still am) but I will keep my options open. If the Blackberry 10 is not substantially cheaper than the Note 2 it will be off my radar.

It will be sold in Canada next week so it will be interesting to see how much it will be priced for.

underdog   

metta;914056 wrote:

It will be sold in Canada next week so it will be interesting to see how much it will be priced for.

http://blackberry10.bell.ca/en#INT=MOB_hmpg_BAN_BB10comingsoon_mass_013013_TM_ALL

$149.95 on a 3 yr term.

Exactly the same as the Note II.

No term price is $649.95 + tax = $734.44.

Give it a couple of months, should come down. Besides buying the first build is never a good idea. Always bugs to be worked out.

Marksman   

I think I'll pass on this OS in the future. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android) and I'm very happy with it.

You can watch a review here on the new OS for Blackberry.

Jacpher   

RIM still in business??

Not bad to rebrand itself with a new name and a new device. With giants like Samsung, Apple, Google and Microsoft, I hope it ain't too late.

But with rumors of S4 coming out, Android 5.0, and the long awaited jailbreak for iOS 6.1 coming out this weekend.

Aaliyyah   

Got myself a new phone about a month ago. After my old phone got messed up. So I wont be needing a new one anytime soon....

But, the bb10 looks neat.

metta   

underdog;914063 wrote:

$149.95 on a 3 yr term.

Exactly the same as the Note II.

No term price is $649.95 + tax = $734.44.

Give it a couple of months, should come down. Besides buying the first build is never a good idea. Always bugs to be worked out.

You won't catch me dead near Bell or those other robbing providers. I am with WIND :D

I'll wait for the price to go down and buy it no-contract in the summer if I am still interested.

It's a possibly to buy it through Mobilicity though and then take it to your mobile carrier; I've noticed they sell their phones cheaper than the other providers. The Blackberry 9900 was about $50-75 cheaper than what the others were selling it for. That's still a saving for a smart phone

The iPhone, Android and Windows Phone all entered life missing important features. Not this one; BlackBerry couldn’t risk building a lifeboat with leaks. So it’s all here: a well-stocked app store, a music and movie store, Mac and Windows software for loading files, speech recognition, turn-by-turn navigation, parental controls, copy and paste, Find My Phone (with remote-control lock and erase) and on and on.

The hardware is all here, too. The BlackBerry’s 4.2-inch screen is even sharper than the iPhone’s vaunted Retina display (356 pixels per inch versus 326). Both front and back cameras can film in high definition (1080p back, 720p front).

The thin, sleek, black BlackBerry has 16 gigabytes of storage, plus a memory card slot for expansion. Its textured back panel pops off easily so that you can swap batteries. It will be available from all four major carriers — Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile — and Verizon said it would charge $200 with a two-year contract.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/technology/the-blackberry-refreshed-lives-to-fight-another-day.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0