Sign in to follow this  
BiLaaL

The Lives of the Sahabah

BiLaaL   

Assalamu Alaykum all - The following narrations is a continuation on the lives of the Sahabah R.A.

The incidents below relate the thoughts of the Sahaba R.A. towards verses of the Qu'ran concerning Jahannam. While we cannot compare our Imaan to that of the Sahaba, each one of us should reflect on what impact verses and descriptions of Jahannam have on us?Is your reaction to verses in the Qu'raan describing Jahannam as it ought to be or do you pass by such verses without much reflection or fear in your heart?

A'isha R.A. Weeps at the Thought Of Jahannam and the Words of Rasulullaah SCW

A'isha R.A. narrates that she once started to weep at the thought of Jahannam. "What is the matter, 0 Aa'isha?" Rasulullaah SCW asked.She replied, "I thought of Jahannam and started to weep. Will you think of your family on the Day of Qiyaamah?" Rasulullaah SCW said, "There are three places where none shall think of another":

(1) At the scales until a person knows whether his scale (of good deeds) is heavy or light.

(2) When the books of actions will be handed out until a person will call out (out of jubilation) 'Come and see my book!' or until he knows whether his book will be given in his right hand (a sign of success) or in his left hand from behind his back (a sign of failure).

(3) At the bridge of Siraat when it is spanned across Jahannam. There shall be hooks on either side and plenty of thorns. Allaah shall detain whoever He wills with these until they find out whether they have attained salvation or not." (Haakirn (Vo1.4 Pg.578). Dhahabi has commented on the chain of narrators.)

An Old Man Passes Away at the Mention of Jahannam

Amongst the Sahabah R.A. was a very old man when Rasulullaah SCW recited to them the verse:

66_6.png

O you who have believed, protect yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is people and stones, over which are [appointed] angels, harsh and severe; they do not disobey Allah in what He commands them but do what they are commanded. {Surah Tahreem, verse 6)

"0 Rasulullaah SCW the old man asked, "Are the stones of Jahannam like the stones of this world?" Rasulullaah replied, "I swear by the Being Who controls my life that a single boulder of Jahannam is larger than all the mountains of this world." The old man then fell unconscious. Placing his hand on the old man's heart, Rasulullaah SCW discovered that he was still alive. Rasulullaah SCW therefore said, "Respected Old man! Say Laa Ilaaha Illallaah! " When the old man recited the Kalimah, Rasulullaah gave him the glad tidings of Jannah. The Sahab R.A who were present remarked, "Is this (tidings of Jannah) only for him?" Rasulullaah SCW replied, 'Yes, because Allaah says:

14_14.png

This is for him who fears standing before Me (on the Day of Qiyaamah) and who fears My warning (of punishment). {Surah Ibrahim, verse 14)

Shaddaad bin Aws R.A. once remarked: "0 Allaah! The fire of Jahannam has dispelled my sleep." Thereafter, he would stand up and perform salaah until the morning.

In the Battle of Mu'ta, the weeping of Abdullaah bin Rawaaha R.A. has been reported together with his words: "I swear by Allaah that it is neither love for this world nor my attachment to you that makes me weep. However, I have heard Rasulullaah SCW recite a verse from the Qur'aan that speaks of the fire of Jahannam:

19_71.png

Every one of you shall pass by it (everyone shall pass over Jahannam as they cross the bridge of Siraat that spans Jahannam).This is a decreed command of your Rabb. {Surah Maryam, verse 71)

I have no idea how am I to return after this crossing."

BiLaaL   

The following narrations mention some of the admirable qualities of the Ansaar. They sacrificed world pleasures and its temporary possessions in exchange for the pleasure of Allah SWT and his Rasool. May Allah endow us with some of the qualities of the Ansaar.

The Qualities of the Ansaar R.A.

Anas R.A. narrates that when some wealth came to Rasulullaah SCW from Bahrain whilst the Muhaajireen and Ansaar heard about it from each other, they came to Rasulullaah early in the morning. The rest of the Hadith is lengthy, but in it Rasulullaah scw mentioned to the Ansaar, "As far as I know, you people turn out in large numbers when situations are hazardous and turn out in small numbers when the occasion arrives for receiving something (you are always there to assist others and care little about receiving things for yourselves) ."

Anas R.A. narrates that Rasulullaah SCW once said to Abu Talha R.A. "Convey my Salaam to your people (the Ansaar) and inform them that as far as I know, they are extremely chaste and patient people."

Another narration from Anas R.A.states that when Abu Talha R.A. visited Rasulullaah SCW during the illness in which Rasulullaah passed away, Rasulullaah said to him, "Convey my Salaam to your people (the Ansaar) for they are extremely chaste and patient people."

BiLaaL   

The following is an excerpt from a lecture about Taqwa and learning from the past given by Abu Bakr R.A. It is truly illuminating! May we all benefit from it Inshaa Allah.

The Narration of Tabari Concerning Abu Bakr's Lecture about Taqwa and about taking Lessons from the Past

Aasim bin Adi R.A. reports a lecture that Abu Bakr R.A. delivered. Abu Bakr R.A. stood up and after praising Allaah, he said:

"Verily Allaah accepts only those actions done solely to please Him, so ensure that your intention for all your actions is solely for Him. You must know that every act that you do sincerely for Allaah represents an act of obedience, a sin that you have been saved from, an instalment that you have paid (towards the Aakhirah) and an advance payment that you send ahead from these transitory days to others that are eternal. It will therefore be there for the time when you will be most in need of it.

0 servants of Allaah! Take lessons from those who have died from amongst you and think about those who had lived before you. Where were they yesterday and where are they today? Where are all the 'tyrants? Where are those who were famous in battle, in conquests and whenever wars raged? Time has humbled them, their bones have decayed and people have stopped talking about them. Remember that indecent women are for indecent men and indecent men are for indecent women. Where are the kings who had erected monuments on earth and had cities built? They are far away, have been forgotten about and are non-entities today. Listen well! While their passions have long been cut off and they have passed on, their sins will still remain theirs but their worldly possessions have gone to others. We have been left as their successors and we will be saved only if we take lesson from them. However, if we allow ourselves to be deceived, we will be just like them. Where are all the handsome and attractive people who were so enamoured by their youth? They have become dust and now regret their overindulgence. Where are those who erected cities, fortified them with high walls and built spectacuIar wonders? They had left it all behind for their successors. So there are their dwellings standing in ruins while they are in the darkness of their graves.

Do you hear any of them or even a whimper from them? Where are the children and brothers that you knew? Their prescribed terms caught up with them so they reached the actions they sent ahead (to the Aakhirah) and have settled there. They now live after death in either a place of ill fortune or a place of good fortune. Listen well! Allaah has no family ties with any creation because of which He would give them some good or avert any evil from them. This will happen purely due to obedience to Him and by carrying out His commands. Remember that you are servants who will be rewarded and whatever is with Allaah can be attained only by being obedient to Him. There is no good in the good that is followed by entry into Jahannam and there is no difficulty in the difficulty that is followed by entry into Jannah.

I strongly advise you to adopt Taqwa and to hold fast to Allaah's commands that He has ordained for you and to which He has directed you. The most comprehensive guidance of Islaam after the Kalimah of sincerity is to listen to and obey the people whom Allaah has appointed to take charge of your affairs (your leaders). The person who obeys the leader who enjoins good and forbids evil shall be successful and has fulfilled his responsibility. I must also warn you against following your desires. Successful is the person who is saved from his whims, from greed and from anger. You must also stay away from pride, for what pride can one have when one is created from sand and s all be returning to sand where worms shall consume his body? What pride can he have when he is alive today and shall be dead tomorrow?Act from day to day and from hour to hour, save yourselves from the curse of the oppressed one and count yourselves amongst the dead.

Persevere, because all actions are achieved through perseverance and be vigilant because vigilance is truly beneficial. Continue carrying out good deeds because deeds are accepted, beware of the punishment that Allaah has warned you about and hasten to the mercy that Allaah has promised you.Make an effort to understand and Allaah will make you understand. Make an effort to stay away (from wrong) and Allaah will save you from it.

Allaah has explained to you what it was that destroyed those before you and what it was that caused others to be rescued. Allaah has also detailed what is Halaal and what is Haraam and which actions He likes and which ones He does not like. Remember that I shall never compromise on what ensures your and my welfare. It is Allaah from Whom we seek assistance because there is no power or might except with Allaah. Listen well! Whenever you do something sincerely for Allaah, you are obeying Allaah, safeguarding your share (of rewards in the Aakhirah) and becoming the envy of others. The deeds you carry out apart from the Faraa'idh, you will be sending ahead of you (to the Aakhirah) as Nawaafil and there you will receive back in full every advance payment you made and given your reward at a time when you will be most in need of it.

BiLaaL   

Calling people towards Allaah and towards Rasulullaah SCW was the action that Rasulullaah and the Sahabah loved more than anything else. Their ardent desire was for mankind to be guided towards the Deen of Allaah and to enter its fold so that they may be immersed in Allaah's mercy. To this end, the Sahabah were tireless in their efforts to achieve this so that the creation could be linked to their Creator.

The incident below highlights the mercy the Sahabah had for those who were yet to accept Islam. In this incident Umar R.A. weeps over the exertion of a Christian monk who despite his toils will end up in Jahannam. How much Shukr do we make for the greatest nicmah - that of Islam - which Allaah SWT has granted us? We ought to make constant shukr for this nicmah and not take it for granted.

Umar R.A. Weeps over the Exertion of a Christian Monk

Abu Imraan Jowni narrates that Umar R.A. once passed by a monk and remained standing there. Someone called the monk and told him that the Ameerul Mu'mineen was there. When the monk peeped out, the effects of difficulty, exertion and forsaking the world were clearly apparent on his face (he had grown extremely pale and haggard on account of his spiritual exertions). Looking at him, Umar R.A. began to weep. "But he is a Christian," someone commented. Umar R.A. replied, "I know, but I feel sorry for him because I thought of the verse in which Allaah mentions:

88_3.png

88_4.png

He who suffered affliction and who endured many difficulties (thinking that he was pleasing Allaah whereas his beliefs and actions did not conform with the injunctions of Allaah). He shall enter the blazing fire. [surah Ghaashiya, verses 3,4)

I feel sorry for him because despite his exertion and efforts in this world, he shall still end up in Jahannam."

BiLaaL   

As we have seen in the preceding posts, every aspect of the Sahabah’ lives was remarkable and worthy of imitation.

The following narrations highlight how the Sahabah relinquished the instinctive feelings they had for their parents, their children, their brothers, their spouses, their families, their wealth, their businesses and their homes so that they could cling to the love of Allaah and the love of Rasulullaah SCW. The Sahabah also loved every Muslim attached to Allaah and his Nabi. The Sahabah and believers after them who displayed this sentiment of loving Allaah SWT and his Nabi achieved honour in this world with promises of great rewards in the hereafter; ‘For indeed honour, power and glory belong to Allah, and to his messenger, and to the believers’ (Quran-63:8).

This brings us to the obvious question; how do we know that we truly love Allah and his Nabi? As one scholar put it: we love Allaah when we find pleasing to ourselves that which pleases Allaah and we find displeasing that which displeases Allaah SWT. We love our Nabi Muhammad SCW when his Sunnah and way of life carries weight with us and guides our daily conduct. As the messenger SCW said, we shall indeed be with those whom we love. Isn't it then wise for us to inquire into our own hearts and conduct (while we still can) to ensure that our love isn't misplaced but is truly for Allaah SWT and his Nabi SCW? May Allah grant us all the tawfiq to bring this beautiful quality – which the Sahabah practiced so profusely - into our own lives.

The Incident of the Sahabi whose Preparation for the Day of Qiyaamah was His Love for Allaah and Rasulullaah SCW

Anas R.A. narrates that a man once asked Rasulullaah SCW when Qiyaamah will take place. "What have you prepared for the Day of Qiyaamah?" asked Rasulullaah SCW: The Sahabi replied, "Nothing besides the love for Allaah and His Rasool. Rasulullaah SCW told him, "(On the Day of Qiyaamah) You shall be with those whom you love."

Anas R.A says, "Nothing made us as happy as the statement of Rasulullaah SCW: 'You shall be with those whom you love'. I love Rasulullaah, Abu Bakr and Umar - “Because of this love I bear for them, I hope to be with them."

Another narration of Bukhaari states that a man from the desert once came to Rasulullaah SCW and asked, "When will Qiyaamah take place?" "What!" exclaimed Rasulullaah SCW, “What preparations have you made for it?" The man replied, "I have made no preparations for it apart from the fact that I love Allaah and His Rasool. Rasulullaah SCW said, "You shall be with those whom you love." Anas R.A asked, "Does this apply to us as well?" "Certainly," replied Rasulullaah SCW. Anas R.A says, "That day we were extremely overjoyed."

A narration of Tirmidhi quotes that Anas R.A said, "While I have seen the companions of Rasulullaah SCW rejoice about many things, I have never seen them rejoice more than the time when a man came and asked, "0 Rasulullaah SCW, a person loves another for doing a good deed that he is unable do (will this benefit him)?" Rasulullaah SCW replied, "A man shall be (in the Aakhirah) with those whom he loves."

The Statement of Rasulullaah SCW: "You, 0 Abu Dharr, shall be with Those whom you love"

Abu Dharr R.A narrates that he once said to Rasulullaah SCW "0 Rasulullaah SCW, (what will be the outcome of) A man who loves a group of people but is unable to carry out the deeds they carry out?" Rasulullaah SCW replied, "You, 0 Abu Dharr, shall be with those whom you love." Abu Dharr R.A then said, "I love Allaah and His Rasool. "You shall therefore be with those whom you love," Rasulullaah SCW assured him. When Abu Dharr repeated his words, Rasulullaah SCW repeated what he had said.

BiLaaL   

The following are a few narrations about how the Sahabah viewed leadership. Knowing the heavy responsibilities which come with leadership, the Sahabah would often ask to be excused when offered positions of leadership - even though they were highly capable and just leaders. The humility and foresight the Sahabah displayed in rejecting leadership is a testament to the level of their taqwa and deep understanding of the frailties of human nature.

There are so many lessons for us to learn from the Sahabah and their dislike of leadership is one them. Many of the ills facing the Islamicworld and the wider world stem from leaders who neither appreciate the enormities of their position as leaders nor fit to lead. We should realise that leadership comes in many forms - starting from our own homes. Failing to properly discharge our responsibilities is a great sin in the sight of Allah SWT and one we will all have to answer for on the day of Qiyaamah.

In the next post, Inshaa Allah I'll source a few more narrations about the qualities a leader should possess - according to the Sahabah R.A.

Abu Hurayrah R.A. Refuses to Accept an Appointment as Ameer

Abu Hurayrah R.A. reports that Umar once summoned. him to accept a post as governor, but he refused to accept the post. Umar R.A.said, "You dislike an appointment to a post when someone better than you actually asked for it." When Abu Hurayran asked who it was that asked for a post, Umar R.A. replied, "Yusuf bin Ya'qoob ." Abu Hurayrah R.A. then said, "Yusuf was the Nabi of Allaah and the son of a Nabi, while I am merely Abu Hurayrah the son of Umayma. I fear three and two things (equalling five)," ''Why don't you just say 'five things'?" enquired Umar R.A. Abu Hurayrah R.A. replied, "I fear that I should say anything without knowledge, pass wrong judgement (as a governor, because of which I would) have my back lashed, have my wealth taken away and my reputation insulted"

Abdullaah bin Umar R.A. Refuses to be Appointed as judge

Abdullaah bin Mowhab R.A. reports that Uthmaan R.A. once said to Abdullaah bin Umar R.A. "Go and pass judgement between the people," Abdullaah bin Umar R.A. requested "will you not excuse me, o Ameerul Mu'mineen?" Uthmaan R.A.emphatically said. "Never! I have sworn that you must be the judge." "Do not be hasty." Abdullaah bin Umar R.A. spoke, "have you heard Rasulullaah SCW say “The person who seeks protection from Allaah has sought a great source of protection.'" When Uthmaan R.A. confirmed that he had heard the Hadith, Abdullaah bin Umar R.A. said "I then seek Allaah's protection from being a judge." Uthmaan R.A. then asked, ''What prevents you when your father was a judge?" Abdullaah bin Umar replied, "I have heard Rasulullaah SCW say, “The person who is a judge and passes judgement in ignorance shall be one of the inmates of Jahannam. As for the one who is a knowledgeable judge and passes correct and just judgement, he will plead (before Allailh on the Day of Qiyaamah) for an acquittal (that he should neither receive any rewards nor any sin).' What have I to hope for after this?

A narration of Ahmad adds that after this, Uthmaan R.A. excused Abdullaah bin Umar R.A and told him not to inform anyone else about it (otherwise none would be prepared to act as judge and society would suffer). Abdullaah bin Umar R.A. narrates that Uthmaan R.A. wanted him to act as judge, but he refused saying, "I have heard Rasulullaah SCW say, 'Judges are of three types; one will attain salvation while two will end up in Jahannam. Those who pass judgement unjustly or by the dictates of their desires shall be destroyed while the one who passes judgement with the truth will attain salvation."

Miqaad bin Aswad R.A. Refuses to be an Ameer and the Statement of

Anas R.A. reports that Rasulullaah SCW once appointed Miqdaad bin Aswad R.A as Ameer of a troop of cavalrymen. When he returned from the expedition, RasuluUaah SCW asked him what he thought about being an Ameer. He replied, "I was helped to sit and to stand (the men gave me great honour) to the extent that I feel as if I am no longer myself (my humility has been diminished)." Rasulullaah SCW commented, "Leadership is like that (it does that to a person)." Miqdaad R.A. then said, "I swear by the Being Who has sent you with the truth that I shall never again assume any post of leadership." Thereafter, Miqdaad would even decline when people asked him to lead them in salaah.

Another narration from Anas R.A. quotes that Miqdaad R.A. said, "I was helped on to my conveyance and helped to dismount until I felt as if I was superior to the others." Rasulullaah SCW then told him, "Such is leadership. You may therefore either accept it or reject it." Miqdaad R.A. then swore, "I swear by the Being Who has sent you with the truth that I shall never again assume command of even two persons."

A narration from Tabarani quotes that Miqdaad bin Aswad R.A.said, "Rasulullaah SCW sent me on an expedition. When we returned,he asked me, 'How do you find yourself?' I replied, 'I gradually started to think that the others were my servants. I swear by Allaah that after this I shall never again take command of even two persons."

It is reported that Rasulullaah SCW once appointed someone to lead an expedition. When the man had completed his duties and returned, Rasulullaah SCW asked him, "How was it to be the Ameer?" The man replied, "Although I behaved like one of them, they all mounted when I did and dismounted when I did." Rasulullaah SCW commented, "Leaders stand at the door of oppression (are prone to oppress) except for those whom Allaah saves (from committing oppression)." The man then said, "I swear by Allaah that I shall never again accept command from you or from anybody else." Rasulullaah SCW then smiled broadly until even his back teeth were visible.

Jazaakalaahu kheyran Ya Akhy Bilaal,

Miqdad Bin Aswad iyo asxaabta badinkood waxey dareensanaayeen xilqaadista ineey fududeen oo waa lagu baryi jirey!

Maantana waxaan argnaa in Muslimiinta badinkood ay dad masaakiin ah u dilaan si ay kursi ugu fadhiistaan.

farqi weyn ayaa maanta dadkiis (ilaahey ha ka raali noqdee) iyo anaga inoo dhexeeya.

Inta dadka badinkood xukun aan Ilaahey siin ay xoog ku raadsanayaana dhibaatada Muslimiinta we sii saaideysaa.

Ilaahayoow adiga ayaa xukunka qofkaad rabtid siisaaya kuwa ummadaada u naxa xukunka nooga dhiib.

BiLaaL   

^ Jazakallah Khayr. I'm glad that you found them beneficial. May Allah grant us the honorable qualities the Sahabah possessed.

Aamiin walaal Abu-wehliye.

In the last post we encountered incidents which demonstrated the Sahabah's dislike of leadership. They shunned taking up leadership positions not because they were incapable - but rather they feared jeopardising their Aakhira should they fall short (however small the shortfall may be) in discharging the responsibilities entrusted to them. Nothing in this world was worth sacrificing their desire for the rewards of Aakhira and in attaining the pleasure of Allaah Subhanahu wa ta'ala.

The following narrations provide a glimpse into the qualities the Sahabah - in particular Umar R.A. - felt leaders must possess.

The letter of Umar R.A. Concerning the Appointment of Commanders and his description of an Ameer

Haaritha bin Mudarrib R.A.narrates that Umar R.A. wrote the following letter to them:

I have sent Ammaar bin Yaasir R.A. as your Ameer and Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A. as your teacher and minister. They are both amongst the chosen companions of Rasulullaah SCW and veterans of Badr. Learn from them and follow their example. By sending Abdullah to you, I have actually sacrificed my own need for him. I have also sent Uthmaan bin Hunayf R.A. to survey the rural areas of Iraq. I have stipulated that their wages should be a goat every day. Half the goat and its innards should be given to Ammaar R.A. (because as the Ameer, he would naturally have guests to feed) and the other half should be shared between the other three men (i.e. Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A., Uthmaan bin Hunayf R.A. and Hudhayfabin Yamaan R.A. who was sent as an assistant surveyor)."

Sha'bi narrates that Umar R.A. once asked, "Tell me who I should appoint to take charge of a public matter that is of great concern to me?" When the name of Abdur Rahmaan bin Auf R.A. was suggested, Umar R.A. noted that he was not up to the task. When another name was suggested, Umar R.A. said, "I have no need for him." When Umar R.A. was asked who it was that he required, he replied, "Someone who will be like one of the people when he becomes the Ameer (because of his humility) and when he is not the Ameer, he appears to be the Ameer (because of his high sense of responsibility)." The people (with Umar R.A.) then said, "we know of none suitable besides Rabee bin Ziyaad Haarithi." "That is true", confirmed Umar R.A.

The Qualities of a Khalifah as Described by Umar R.A.

Abdullaah bin Abbaas R.A. says, "I served Umar R.A. in a manner that no other member of his family served him. I was also very informal with him in a manner that no member of his household was. He would sit with me and show me a lot of respect. We were sitting alone in his house one day when he heaved such a sigh that made me think he was about to die. I asked, 'Some grave matter of concern, 0 Ameerul Mu'mineen?' He replied, 'Some grave concern indeed.' 'What is it?' I asked. He then asked me to come closer to him. When I did so, he said, 'I can find no one worthy of this post of Khilaafah.' I then named certain individuals and asked him what he thought of them. These happened to be the six men whom he chose as the consultative assembly. Umar R.A said something about each one of these men and then said, 'No person is suitable for the post of Khilaafah except someone who is strong without being harsh, who is lenient without being weak, who is generous without being extravagant and who is cautious about monetary affairs without being miserly." Abdullaah bin Abbaas R.A. used to say, "These traits were combined in no other person besides Umar R.A”.

Abdullaah bin Abbaas R.A.also adds that Umar R.A.said, "None can shoulder this post of Khilaafah besides a person who does not compromise on principles, who does not behave ostentatiously (in a boastful manner) and who does not give in to vain desires. None can shoulder this responsibility from Allaah besides someone who never utters any word that forces him to contradict his resolve and who judges with fairness even against his own people."

The Rights that Subjects Owe to their Ameer

Salama bin Shihaab Abdi reports that Umar R.A.once said,"0 citizens! We {leaders) have a right that you owe to us. It is that you always wish well for us even in our absence and that you assist us in all good works. Take note that there is nothing more beloved to Allaah and which has a more widespread benefit than the tolerance and compassion of an Ameer towards his subjects. On the contrary, there is nothing more detested by Allaah than the foolishness of an Ameer and his harshness."

Another narration from Abdullaah bin Akeem states that Umar R.A. said, "There is no tolerance more loved by Allaah than the tolerance and compassion of an Ameer (towards his subjects). There is also no foolishness that is more detested by Allaah than the foolishness and harshness of an Ameer. Those who overlook things that happen to him will receive health and safety and those who exercise justice between people even when it concerns himself shall be granted success in his affairs. Suffering disgrace when being obedient is closer to goodness than winning honour through sin."

D.O.C   

BiLaaL;927308 wrote:
^ Jazakallah Khayr. I'm glad that you found them beneficial. May Allah grant us the honorable qualities the Sahabah possessed.

Aamiin walaal Abu-wehliye.

In the last post we encountered incidents which demonstrated the Sahabah's dislike of leadership. They shunned taking up leadership positions not because they were incapable - but rather they feared jeopardising their Aakhira should they fall short (however small the shortfall may be) in discharging the responsibilities entrusted to them. Nothing in this world was worth sacrificing their desire for the rewards of Aakhira and in attaining the pleasure of Allaah Subhanahu wa ta'ala.

The following narrations provide a glimpse into the qualities the Sahabah - in particular Umar R.A. - felt leaders must possess.

The letter of Umar R.A. Concerning the Appointment of Commanders and his description of an Ameer

Haaritha bin Mudarrib R.A.narrates that Umar R.A. wrote the following letter to them:

I have sent Ammaar bin Yaasir R.A. as your Ameer and Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A. as your teacher and minister. They are both amongst the chosen companions of Rasulullaah SCW and veterans of Badr. Learn from them and follow their example. By sending Abdullah to you, I have actually sacrificed my own need for him. I have also sent Uthmaan bin Hunayf R.A. to survey the rural areas of Iraq. I have stipulated that their wages should be a goat every day. Half the goat and its innards should be given to Ammaar R.A. (because as the Ameer, he would naturally have guests to feed) and the other half should be shared between the other three men (i.e. Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A., Uthmaan bin Hunayf R.A. and Hudhayfabin Yamaan R.A. who was sent as an assistant surveyor)."

Sha'bi narrates that Umar R.A. once asked, "Tell me who I should appoint to take charge of a public matter that is of great concern to me?" When the name of Abdur Rahmaan bin Auf R.A. was suggested, Umar R.A. noted that he was not up to the task. When another name was suggested, Umar R.A. said, "I have no need for him." When Umar R.A. was asked who it was that he required, he replied,
"Someone who will be like one of the people when he becomes the Ameer (because of his humility) and when he is not the Ameer, he appears to be the Ameer (because of his high sense of responsibility)."
The people (with Umar R.A.) then said, "we know of none suitable besides Rabee bin Ziyaad Haarithi." "That is true", confirmed Umar R.A.

The Qualities of a Khalifah as Described by Umar R.A.

Abdullaah bin Abbaas R.A. says, "I served Umar R.A. in a manner that no other member of his family served him. I was also very informal with him in a manner that no member of his household was. He would sit with me and show me a lot of respect. We were sitting alone in his house one day when he heaved such a sigh that made me think he was about to die. I asked, 'Some grave matter of concern, 0 Ameerul Mu'mineen?' He replied, 'Some grave concern indeed.' 'What is it?' I asked. He then asked me to come closer to him. When I did so, he said, 'I can find no one worthy of this post of Khilaafah.' I then named certain individuals and asked him what he thought of them. These happened to be the six men whom he chose as the consultative assembly. Umar R.A said something about each one of these men and then said,
'No person is suitable for the post of Khilaafah except someone who is strong without being harsh, who is lenient without being weak, who is generous without being extravagant and who is cautious about monetary affairs without being miserly."
Abdullaah bin Abbaas R.A. used to say, "These traits were combined in no other person besides Umar R.A”.

Abdullaah bin Abbaas R.A.also adds that Umar R.A.said,
"None can shoulder this post of Khilaafah besides a person who does not compromise on principles, who does not behave ostentatiously (in a boastful manner) and who does not give in to vain desires. None can shoulder this responsibility from Allaah besides someone who never utters any word that forces him to contradict his resolve and who judges with fairness even against his own people."

The Rights that Subjects Owe to their Ameer

Salama bin Shihaab Abdi reports that Umar R.A.once said,"0 citizens! We {leaders) have a right that you owe to us. It is that you always wish well for us even in our absence and that you assist us in all good works. Take note that there is nothing more beloved to Allaah and which has a more widespread benefit than the tolerance and compassion of an Ameer towards his subjects. On the contrary, there is nothing more detested by Allaah than the foolishness of an Ameer and his harshness."

Another narration from Abdullaah bin Akeem states that Umar R.A. said, "There is no tolerance more loved by Allaah than the tolerance and compassion of an Ameer (towards his subjects). There is also no foolishness that is more detested by Allaah than the foolishness and harshness of an Ameer. Those who overlook things that happen to him will receive health and safety and those who exercise justice between people even when it concerns himself shall be granted success in his affairs.
Suffering disgrace when being obedient is closer to goodness than winning honour through sin."

The footsteps of our honourable sahabs are amazing, just amazing especially omar bin khattab and Abu bakar. Imagine an example of the prophet PBUH is billion times better than these two. Maaha Allah.

BiLaaL   

The following narrations provide a glimpse into the fervour that the Sahabah R.A. had for knowledge.

The Sahabah valued knowledge immensely. Whereas we measure knowledge in terms of its wordly benefits or the status it bestows upon its possessor, they understood it far more profound terms and appreciated its true value. Their love of knowledge and the seeking of it literally ended with their last breath – as the following narration from Mu’aadh R.A. illustrates.

What sublime love and respect they held for knowledge and for the knowledgeable! And how far away we are from their example! Today, we have reduced knowledge to the trades which one enters into in order to fill ones belly and nothing more beyond that. May Allaah grant us the same fervour the Sahabah R.A. had for knowledge and its attainment.

The Statement Mu'aadh R.A. Made on his deathbed about his Fervour for Knowledge

When he was on his deathbed, Mu'aadh bin Jabal R.A. asked the people to see whether dawn had broken. When they reported that it had not yet come, he again sent them to see. After this happened several times, they eventually reported to.him that dawn had broken. To this, he said, "I seek Allaah's protection from the night followed by a morning that takes one to Jahannam. I welcome death with open arms.It is that long absent visitor and a friend in need. 0 Allaah! While I had always been afraid of You, today I long to meet You. 0 Allaah! You know well that I never loved this world or to live long here to dig canals or to plant trees. I loved it only for the thirst in the extreme afternoon heat (when fasting), for enduring times of hardship and to sit on my knees when associating with the Ulema in gatherings of knowledge."

The Words of Mu'aadh R.A. to a Man who Was Weeping by his Bedside before his Death

Abdullaah bin Salamah narrates that a man came to (the bedside of Mu'aadh bin Jabal R.A.) and started to weep. "What makes you weep?" Mu'aadh asked. The man replied, "By Allaah! I am neither crying because of the ties of kinship we have nor because of the material gains I used to get from you. What makes me weep is the fear that the knowledge I used to glean from you will soon come to an end." Mu'aadh R.A. consoled him saying, "Do not cry because whoever strives to acquire knowledge and Imaan, Allaah will grant them to him just as He granted Ibraheem A.S. during times when there was no knowledge and Imaan."

The Fervour that Abu Dardaa R.A. had for Knowledge

Abu Dardaa R.A. once said, "Had it not been for three things, I would have loved to be no longer in this world. When asked what the three things were, Abu Dardaa said, "(The first is) Placing my head on the ground before my Creator in Sajdah during the hours of day and night so that it is sent ahead (as rewards) for my (true) life (in the Aakhirah). (The second is) Enduring thirst during hot afternoons (while fasting) and (the third is) sitting with people who choose their speech as carefully as you choose your fruit." (i.e. people - seekers - of knowledge)

The Fervour that Abdullah bin Abbaas R.A had for Acquiring Knowledge

Abdullaah bin Abbaas R.A. says, "When Rasulullaah SCW passed away, I said to an Ansaari friend of mine, 'The Sahabah are plenty in number. Come. Let us learn from them.' 'I am astonished at you, 0 Ibn Abbaas!' he said, 'Do you think that people will need you (to learn from) when so many of Rasulullaah SCW senior Sahabah R.A. are amongst them?' I left that as it were and proceeded to learn from the companions of Rasulullaah SCW. When I heard that a Hadith was narrated by someone, I would go to his door and if he was having his siesta, I would roll up my shawl there and use it as a pillow. (As a I waited there) The wind would blow sand on me and when the man came out, he would ask, 'What brings you here, 0 cousin of Rasulullaah SCW, Why did you not send for me and I would have come to you?' I would then say to him, 'No. It is I who should be coming to you.' I would then ask him about the Hadith. My Ansaari friend happened to live to the time when he saw people gathering around me to learn and would say, 'He has been a much smarter youngster than I'.

Abdullaah bin Abbaa R.A. says, "When the various cities were being conquered (by the Muslims) and people started focussing their attention towards the things of this world, I started focussing my attention on Umar R.A." It is because of this that most of the Ahadeeth narrated by Abdullaah bin Abbaas R.A. are from Umar R.A.

BiLaaL   

Having covered some of the qualities of the Sahabah R.A., let us now reflect upon how the greatest adversaries of the their time described the Sahabah. These adversaries recognised the qualities of the Sahabah and rightly discerned that such qualities could not be matched. Despite their might and power, many of these adversaries soon realised that resistance against such qualities was futile. The force of truth and conviction the Sahabah exhibited in what Allaah SWT has revealed was what their adversaries feared most.

A Roman Leader's Statement to Heraclius concerning the Reasons for Triumphs of the Sahabah R.A.

Abu Is'haaq reports that no enemy could stand his ground before any of the Sahabah R.A. for even the time it took between two successive squeezes of a camel's teats when it is milked. Heraclius was in Antioch at the time when his Roman army returned defeated from a battle (against the Muslims). "Shame on you!" Heraclius said to them, "Tell me about those people you were fighting against. Are they not humans like you?" "They certainly are," the men replied. "Then were you more in number or were their numbers more?" "On every occasion we were several times more in number than they," came the reply. "Then what is the matter," Heraclius asked, "Why were you still defeated?"

An elderly leader explained. He said, "It is because they stand in salaah all night, they fast all day, they fulfil their promises, they enjoin good, they forbid from evil and are just towards each other. It is also because we drink wine; we fornicate, we do what is prohibited, we break our promises, we rob, we oppress, we enjoin what is forbidden, prohibit people from acts that please Allaah and we spread anarchy on earth." Heraclius said, "You are telling me the truth."

The Statement that the Emperor of China made about the Sahabah

(The Emperor of Persia) Yazdgird once wrote to the Emperor of China to seek reinforcements. Addressing the Persian envoy, the Chinese Emperor said, "I know well that it is the duty of any Emperor to assist another against those who are overpowering him. However, I want you to describe to me these people who are driving you out of your lands because I gather from what you said that they are fewer in number than you. From what you have described to me, people as few as them cannot overpower an adversary as many as you unless there is tremendous good in them and rot within you." "You may ask me whatever you please about them," the envoy said.

The Emperor then asked, "Do they fulfil their promises?" "Yes," the envoy replied. The next question was, "What do they tell you before they engage you in combat?" "They invite us to accept one of three options. We either accept their religion, in which case they treat us asthey treat each other. Otherwise, we may accept to pay the Jizya and thus receive their protection. The final option is to face them in battle." The Emperor then asked, "How obedient are they towards their leaders." "They are the most obedient of all people towards their leaders," came the reply. The Emperor further asked, "What do they regard as lawful and what do they regard as unlawful?" When the envoy gave him a detailed reply, the Emperor asked, "And do they forbid what has been made lawful for them or make lawful what has been forbidden for them?" 'This they do not do," the envoy replied. The Emperor then said, "Such a nation will never be destroyed as long as they regard what is lawful as lawful and what is unlawful as unlawful."

The next question the Emperor asked was about the clothing the Sahabah R.A. wore. When the envoy described it to him, he then askedabout the modes of transport the Sahabah R.A. used. The envoy described the Arab horses that the Sahabah R.A. used in detail, after which the Emperor remarked, "Those make excellent fortresses." The envoy then went on to describe the camels that they used and even explained how they sit and then get up with their loads. The Emperor (who had probably never seen a camel before) notes, "That is common with all animals that have long necks."

The Chinese Emperor then wrote back to Yazdgird saying, "It is not ignorance of my duty that prevents me from sending to your aid an army so large that while the first of it is in (the Persian city of) Marw, the last is still here in China. However, the description of these peoplewhom your envoy has described to me tells me that if they had to come up against a mountain, they would certainly shatter it. If they are left to advance and retain their qualities, they will soon remove me from my kingship. Enter into a treaty with them and be content to abideby the clauses of the treaty. You should however never attack them as long as they do not attack you."

A Christian Arab Describes the Sahabah R.A. to the Commander of Damascus

Yahya bin Yahya Ghassaani reports that two men from his tribe reported, “When the Muslims set up camp outside Jordan, we talked amongst ourselves that Damascus would soon be under siege. We therefore went to do our business in Damascus before that happened. We were still there when the commander of Damascus sent for us, when we came before him, he asked, 'Are you two Arabs?' When we replied in the affirmative, he asked further, 'Are you Christians?' 'Yes,' we replied. He then said, ‘One of you will have to spy on them to learn about their intentions. The other will stay behind to look after his companion's belongings.' One of us then went and stayed with the Muslims for some time before returning. He said, 'I have come to you from people who are thin and who ride fine horses. They are monks by night, brave horsemen by day and can even attach feathers to their arrows, carve them out by themselves and straighten their spears to perfection. If you were to speak to someone sitting beside you, he would be unable to hear you because they were always reciting the Qur’aan and engaging in Dhikr in loud voices." The commander then turned to his companions and said, "Such people have come to you against whom you can offer no resistance."

A Christian Arab Describes the Sahabah R.A. to Qubuqalaar

Urwa R.A. reports that when the two armies confronted each other (during the Battle of Yarmook), Qubuqalaar (the Roman general) sentfor an Arab man whom the narrator believes was a man from the Yazeed bin Haydaan family tribe. His was known as Ibn Huzaarif. Qubuqalaar's instruction to the man was, "Infiltrate the ranks of these people, stay with them for a day and a night and then report their condition to me." Because he was Arab, he blended into the Muslim army undetected and stayed with them for a day and a night. When he then returned, Qubuqalaar asked him what he had found out. He replied, "They are monks by night and valiant horsemen by day.Even if their king's son had to steal, they would amputate his hand and should he commit adultery, he will be stoned so that the law is enforced." To this, Qubuqalaar remarked, "If what you say is true, then being underground is better than clashing with them above the ground. I wish that Allaah would leave me alone with them, without assisting either me against them or them against me (in which case our larger numbers would win the day)."

BiLaaL   

The following topic seems most pertinent in the era we live in. It is an era where Muslims, for the most part, seek honour amongst the creation rather than through the creator – Allaaah Subhanuhu Wa Ta’ala. In other words, we seek honour where Allaah has placed no honour. The following narrations from the lives of the Sahabah beautifully illustrate how they sought honour where Allaah SWT has placed it – i.e. in abiding by his Deen and elevating it above everything else. The Sahabah R.A. were so particular in this aspect that they even disliked wearing clothes which could be seen as pompous.

The extraordinary insight the Sahabah R.A posessed in this respect is clear from the last narration below – in which Abu Dardaa R.A. reflects upon the lesson of a people they had just conquered. It shows that the Sahabah R.A took lessons in all matters which faced them – to the extent that they perceived the same fate this vanquished nation met at the hands of the Sahabah R.A. could also happen to the Muslims if they forsake the Deen of Allaah SWT. Such insight is simply wondrous and so rare in our era!

These narrations may seem a bit academic but the intention is for us to reflect upon how we behave in our everyday interactions. Do we go out of our way to please, impress, seek favor etc - from the boss or others in positions of influence/authority in our lives instead seeking to please Allaah alone (from whom all honor and favor originates from) and fully performing the duties we owe to him?

Seeking Honour Where Allaah has Placed Honour

Incidents of Ameerul Mu'mineen Umar bin Khattaab R.A.

Abul Aaliya Shaami reports that Umar arrived in Jaabiya from the Aleppo road, riding a brown camel. The bald part of his head shone in the sun because he wore neither a hat nor a turban. Since there were no stirrups, his legs dangled loosely on either side of the camel. His saddle blanket when he rode was a woollen blanket made in Ambijaan, which doubled as bedding when he camped. His satchel was striped cloth filled with the bark of a date palm, which doubled as his pillow when he was not riding. He wore a thick white cotton Qamees which was patched and torn on the side.

"Send the leader of these people to me," Umar R.A. commanded. When the people sent for the head priest, Umar R.A. said "Please wash my Qamees, mend it and borrow me a Qamees or some clothing. A Qamees made from Kattaan (a very fine and expensive cloth) was then brought to Umar R.A. "What is this?" Umar R.A. enquired. When the people told him that it was Kattaan, he asked, "And what is Kattaan?" After they explained to him what it was, he removed his Qamees and it was washed and patched. When it was returned to him, he took off the Kattaan one and wore his own.

The head priest then said to him, "Because you are the king of the Arabs, it is not befitting that you ride a camel in these parts. If you ride a Turkish horse and wear some other clothing, it would command more respect in the eyes of the Romans. Umar R.A. however said, "We are people who have been given respect because of Islaam and therefore do not wish any substitute."

Taariq bin Ziyaad reports that when Umar R.A. was travelling to Shaam, Abu Ubaydah bin Jarraah R.A. was accompanying him. When they arrived at a point where they had to wade across, Umar R.A. alighted from his camel, removed his leather socks and threw them overhis shoulders. He then took hold of the reins of the camel and waded through.

"0 Ameerul Mu'mineen!" Abu Ubaydah R.A. said, "Are you doing that?! Do you also remove your leather socks, throw them over your shoulders, take hold of the reins of the camel and then wade through?! I would not like the people of that city (where we are headed) to see you like this."

"0, Oh!" Umar R.A. exclaimed, "Had anyone other than Abu Ubaydah made such a statement, I would have made him a lesson for the Ummah of Muhammad SCW. We were once amongst the lowest of people, but Allaah gave us honour because of Islaam. As soon as we start to seek honour in avenues other than that in which Allaah has granted us honour, Allaah will then humiliate us."

Another narration states that when Umar R.A. arrived in Shaam and was to be received by the army, he was wearing his loincloth, leather socks and a turban. He was holding the head of his camel and wading across some water. Someone then said, "0 Ameerul Mu'mineen!The army and the general of Shaam’s army are here to meet you and you are in this condition?" Umar R.A. remarked, 'We are a nationwhom Allaah has given honour through Islaam, so we shall not seek honour in other avenues."

Yet another narration states that Abu Ubaydah bin Jarraah R.A. said to Umar R.A. "0 Ameerul Mu'mineen! You have done something that the people of these parts regard as a something degrading. You have removed your socks, led your camel while on foot and waded through water on foot." Umar R.A. struck Abu Ubaydah bin Jarraah R.A. on the chest and said, "0 dear! If only someone other than you had made that statement, 0 Abu Ubaydah! You people (Arabs) were the smallest in number and the most degraded of people before Allaah gave you honour through Islaam. When you start to seek honour in anything else other than Islaam, Allaah will certainly degrade you."

Taking a Lesson from those who have Forsaken Allaah's Commands

Jubayr bin Nufayr R.A. says, "When Cyprus was conquered, its inhabitants were separated from each other, because of which they cried for each other. I then saw Abu Dardaa R.A. sitting alone and weeping. '0 Abu Dardaa R.A.’ I said, 'What makes you weep on a day in which Allaah has granted honour to Islaam and its adherents?' 'Shame on you, 0 Jubayr,' he said, ‘How disgraced is that nation in the sight of Allaah who forsake His commands! These people were once a powerful and victorious nation who possessed sovereignty. However, once they forsook Allaah's commands, they were degraded to the state you can now see."

Another narration states that Abu Dardaa R.A. added, "They were then degraded to the state you can now see. They became obsessed with taking others as their slaves and as soon as a nation takes to this obsession, Allaah has no need for them."

BiLaaL   

All the qualities of the Sahabah R.A. we’ve seen so far; sacrificie, fervour for knowledge and the Truth, selflessness and great endurance against great odds and mighty forces…all of these qualities and many others we have not mentioned – are no doubt impressive. But the intent behind posting these qualities of the Sahabah R.A. is not simply to be impressed by or gain knowledge of them; it is so that we may also develop the same qualities in ourselves and strengthen the ones we already have.

The Sahabah R.A. were normal human beings just like us. However, they were tireless in their efforts to perfect their Imaan and bring the reality of Imaan into their lives. They were able to build and maintain their awe-inspiring qualities by following a very simple, yet powerful advice from the Prophet SCW: ‘Renew your Iman’. This simple formula propelled the Sahabah R.A. to moral heights no other human beings – apart from the Prophets – were able to ascend to. The Sahabah R.A. profusely practiced this simple formula of renewing ones Imaan by participating in gatherings of Imaan. Renewing ones Imaan requires constant effort and struggle. It has many components – such as contemplating and reflecting upon the attributes of Allah SWT and developing Taqwa.

Remembering Allah SWT and contemplating his unique attributes brought immense joy to the Sahabah R.A. The world and its allures held diminished value for them and so remembering Allah SWT allowed the Sahabah R.A. to turn their eyes and hearts to matters greater and more lasting than the temporary confines of this transitory world.

We can also increase our Iman by renewing it as the Prophet SCW advised the Sahabah in this narration:Abu Hurayrah R.A. reports that Rasulullaah SCW once said, "Renew your Imaan." "0 Rasulullaah SCW!" someone asked, "How are we to renew our Imaan?" Rasulullaah SCW replied, "Abundantly recite 'Laa Ilaaha Illallaah'."

The Gatherings of Imaan

The Eagerness of Abdullaah bin Rawaaha Participate in the Gatherings of Imaan

Anas bin Maalik R.A. narrates that whenever Abdullaah bin Rawaaha R.A. 'met one of the Sahabah R.A. he say to him, "Come! Let us believe in our Rabb for a moment (let us refresh our Imaan by talking about Allaah for a while)." When he said this to someone one day, the man became angry and reported it to Rasulullaah SCW saying, "0 Rasulullaah SCW look at Ibn Rawaaha. He prefers your Imaan to theImaan of a moment." Nabi SCW replied, "May Allaah forgive Ibn Rawaaha. He loves the gatherings about which the angels boast."

Ataa bin Yasaar narrates that Abdullaah bin Rawaaha R.A. once said to one of his companions, "Come here so that we may believe for a while." "Are we not already believers?" the other asked. "Certainly,” Abdullaah bin Rawaaha R.A. replied, "but let us talk about Allaah so that our Imaan can be increased."

Abu Dardaa R.A. says, "Abdullaah bin Rawaaha R.A. once caught hold of my hand saying, 'Come! Let us believe for a moment because the heart overturns faster than a pot boiling at its pitch."

Abu Dardaa R.A. says, "When Abdullaah bin Rawaaha R.A. would meet me, he would say, '0 Uwaymir! Sit down so that we may discuss (Imaan) for a while.' We would then sit down and discuss, after which he would say, 'This is a gathering of Imaan. The example of Imaan is like that of your Qamees. When you have taken it off, you will again be putting it on and when you have put it on, you will again be taking it off. The heart overturns faster than a pot boiling at its pitch."

The Eagerness of Umar R.A. and Mu'aadh R.A. to Participate in the Gatherings of Imaan

Abu Dharr R.A. reports that Umar R.A. would grab hold of the hands of one or two Sahabah R.A. and say, "Stand awhile with me so that we may renew our Imaan." They would then talk about Allaah Subhanuahu Wa Ta'aala.

Aswad bin Hilaal reports that they were walking with Mu'aadh bin Jabal R.A.when he said to them, "Sit with us so that we may believe for a moment."

BiLaaL   

The Counsel of the Sahabah R.A.

There are so many amazing aspects to the lives of the Sahabah that one cannot even begin to do justice to any one quality.

One of the qualities of the Sahabah is that they gave advice to each other and to others around them. The advice they gave was as splendid and magnificient as the noble lives they led. Their words were always carefully chosen and their utterances were pearls of wisdom. The advice the Sahabah gave was so penetrable that it caused tears to flow and hearts to become overawed. Their advice turned people towards the Creator of the heavens and the earth and away from the mundane affairs of this world.

The following are narrations of some of the advice given by the Sahabah R.A. There are lessons in them for all of us.

The Advice of Ameerul Mu'mineen Umar bin Khattaab R.A.

Umar R.A. once advised a man saying, "Never allow people to distract you from yourself because you are ultimately responsible for yourself and not for them. Never spend your days wandering about because everything you do is recorded. Always carry out a good deed whenever you sin because I have never seen anything catch up with another as fast as a newly done good deed catches up with an old sin. Umar R.A. also said, "Stay away from that which causes you harm, ensure that you have righteous friends even though such people are scarce and consult those who fear Allaah about all your matters."

Ahnaf bin Qais narrates that Umar R.A. once said to him, "0 Ahnafl The person who laughs too much loses respect and the one who jokes too much is not taken seriously. The one who talks too much, makes too many mistakes, the one who makes too many mistakes loses modesty, the one who loses modesty loses piety and the heart of the one who loses piety eventually dies,"

"There are some servants of Allaah who annihilate falsehood by staying away from it and revive the truth by speaking of it"

Umar R.A. said, "There are some servants of Allaah who annihilate falsehood by staying away from it and revive the truth by speaking of it. When given encouragement (to do good), they are encouraged and when warned against something, they take heed. When fearing something, they are never off guard. With the power of conviction, they are able to see things they have never seen, blending these into those memories that never leave. Their fear for Allaah has purified their souls and they forsake that which will leave them (the pleasures of this world) for that which will always remain theirs (the bounties of the Aakhirah).”

Maalik reports that the report reached him that Umar R.A. said, "A man's respect lies in his Taqwa, his honour in his Deen and his manhood in his character. While people see respect in wealth, true honour really lies in Taqwa. I am not better than a Persian, a non-Arab or acommon farmer except by virtue of Taqwa (the best will be the one with the most Taqwa)."

The advice of Ali bin Abi Taalib to Umar R.A.

Abdullaah bin Abbaas R.A. narrates that when Umar R.A. once asked Ali R.A. for advice, Ali R.A. said, "Never allow your conviction to become doubtful, your knowledge to regress to ignorance or your suspicions to transform into conviction. You must also remember that nothing of this world is really yours besides what you have received and then passed on, what you have distributed, thereby levelling the equation and the clothes you have already worn out." "0 Abul Hasan!" Umar R.A. remarked, "What you have stated is indeed very true."

Ali R.A. - What Goodness Really is

Ali R.A. once said, "Goodness is not when your wealth or your children increase, but when your knowledge increases, when your tolerance grows and when you excel people in worshipping your Rabb. When you do well, praise Allaah and when you do wrong, seek Allaah's forgiveness. There is no good in this world except for one of two persons; the person who commits a sin and then compensates for it by repenting and the person who hastens to do good deeds. A deed carried out with Taqwa can never be underestimated because how can a deed that Allaah accepts ever be underestimated?"

Ali R.A. once advised his son Hasan R.A. "The greatest wealth is intelligence while the worst poverty is foolishness. Conceit is the most estranging of all things and the greatest source of respect is good character."

Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A.

Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A. stated, "How wonderful are two things that people dislike; death and poverty! By Allaah! One is affected by either one of two conditions, prosperity or poverty and I care not which of the two I am afflicted with. If it is prosperity, I can use it to sympathise (with the poor by helping them). If it is poverty, I can use it to exercise patience (and be rewarded abundantly).”

It was also Abdullah bin Mas'ood R.A. who said, "A person cannot reach the reality of Imaan until he reaches its apex and he will be unable to reach the apex until he loves poverty more than prosperity, until he loves submission more than honour and until the one who praises him and the one who insults him are the same to him." The students of Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A. then explained this statement saying, "Until he prefers earning Halaal and remaining in poverty to earning Haraam and living in affluence; until he prefers submitting to Allaah's commands to the (worldly) honour derived from sinning and until the person praising him in truth and the person insulting him are equal in his sight."

Salmaan Faarsi R.A.

Ja'far bin Burqaan reports that the report reached him that Salmaan Faarsi R.A. used to say, "Three persons make me laugh and three things make me cry. I laugh at the person who entertains lengthy hopes in this world yet death is constantly searching for him. The other is the person who is negligent of death yet death is never negligent of him and (the third is) the person who laughs most heartily whereas he knows not whether his Rabb is angry with him or pleased. The three things that make me weep are separation from Muhammad SCW and his party, the frightening scene when the pangs of death arrive and standing before the Rabb of the universe when I know not whether I shall be heading for the fire of Jahannam or for Jannah."

Abu Dardaa R.A.

It is reported that Abu Dardaa R.A. once said, "It is with three factors that man can take charge of all his affairs; 'never complain of your calamities, never speak about your illness and never claim that you are spiritually pure."

Abdullaah bin Zubayr R.A.

Wahab bin Kaysaan narrates that Abdullaah bin Zubayr R.A. once wrote to advise him saying, "The people of Taqwa have certain traits by which they are recognised and which they recognise within themselves. These include patience during times of adversity, happiness with Allaah's decree, gratitude for bounties and submission to the commands of the Qur'aan. A ruler is just like the marketplace. Only that commodity is brought to the marketplace which is popular. Therefore, if the truth is popular with a ruler, it will be brought to him and people of the truth will come to him. On the other hand, if falsehood is popular with a ruler, the people of falsehood will come to him and it is falsehood that will prevail with him."