Sign in to follow this  
BiLaaL

The Lives of the Sahabah

BiLaaL   

It is related from 'Abdullah that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said,
"The best of people are my generation and then those who follow them and then those who follow them. Then there will come people whose testimony will precede their oaths and whose oaths will precede their testimony."
(Sahih Bukhari)

Assalamu Alaykum brothers and sisters - I have started this thread as a reminder for all of us to reflect upon the remarkable lives of the Sahabah (RA). They’re true icons and the best of role models for us to follow. How can there be better role models than those whom Allah SWT and his Messenger have declared their pleasure and satisfaction with? There is simply no better generation deserving of our admiration than the Sahabah.

The Sahabah were the greatest generation to ever exist in human history. No group of people in history, after the Prophets, possessed their characteristics or reached the high moral standard they have achieved. The virtues and behaviours they demonstrated testify to their immeasurable nobleness.

Their garments may have been humble, but their sublime wisdom lit the world. All of this was a modest reflection of the greater miracle that enlightened the world on the day Allah SWT willed His noble Qur'aan to be sent down, His honorable Messenger to deliver the message, and the procession of Islam to start its paces on the road of true enlightenment. With the procession of Islam, the Sahabah filled the sky with standards of new truth in which they announced the religion of monotheism and the liberation of mankind. They freed mankind from the worship of other created beings towards the worship of the creator of all that exists – Allah Subḥahanu wa ta’ala.

As brilliant as the Sahabah were as a group, they were just as awe-inspiring as individuals – both men and women.

From Abu Bakr R.A., whose Iman as the Prophet SAW once declared, would outweigh the rest of the Ummah combined; to Umar R.A. with his bold-intellect, far-sighted wisdom and aptly titled as ‘Al-Faruq’ – the criterion between good and evil; or that of 'Aisha R.A. with her scholarly mind and vast knowledge; and numerous other men and women of the Sahabah (RA) whose examples are a model of virtuous human conduct. In their lives we find a model for endurance, others were embodiments of selflessness, of sacrifice, fervour for the Truth and oneness of Allah SWT and complete submission to his Will.

In Short, each one of them was a lighthouse of guidance showing the path of exalted behaviour in the short-time we all have on this earth.

It is for this reason that I will post short incidents from the lives of the Sahabah in this thread. Each story or incident carries a great lessonfor us and it is my hope that we will all benefit from these stories and strive to instil the qualities inherent in each story/incident into our own life Inshaa Allah. We should emulate them and follow their example so that we may succeed in the life of this world and in Akhira.

A humble request - can I please ask everyone to refrain from replying to this thread so as to avoid lengthening it - as much as possible. It is meant as a thread with incidents from the life of the Sahabah (RA) which we will all find beneficial Inshaa Allah. Jazakallah Khayr for your understanding.

BiLaaL   

Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho) and The Fear of Allah:

According to our belief Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho) is the most exalted person after the Prophets (may peace be on all of them). The Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) himself conveyed to him the glad tidings of his being the head of a group of persons in Paradise.

The Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) once remarked:

"Abu Bakr's name shall be called out from all the gates of Paradise and he will be the first of my followers to enter it."

With all these virtues and privileges, Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho) used to say:

"I wish I were a tree that would be cut and done away with."

Sometimes he would say:

"I wish I were a blade of grass. whose life ended with the grazing by some beast."

He also said: "I wish I were a hair on the body of a Mo'min."

Once he went to a garden where he saw a bird singing. He sighed deeply and said:

"0, bird! How lucky you are! You eat, you drink and fly under the shade of the trees, and you fear no reckoning of the Day of Judgement. I wish I were just like you."

Hadhrat Rabiah Aslami (Radhiyallaho anho) narrates:

"Once I had some argument with Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho), during which he uttered a word that I did not like. He realized it immediately and said to me 'Brother, please say that word back to me in retaliation.' I refused to do so. He persisted, and even spoke of referring the matter to the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam), but I did not agree to utter that word. He got up and left me. A few people of my clan remarked, 'Look! How strange! The person does wrong to you and, on the top of that, he threatens to complain to the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam)'. I said, 'Do you .know who he is. He is Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho). To displease him is to displease the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) and to displease the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) is to displease Allah, and if Allah is displeased then who can save Rabiah from ruin?' I went to the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) and narrated the whole story to him. He said, 'You were quite right in refusing to utter that word. But you could have said this much in reply: '0, Abu Bakr, (Radhiyallaho anho) May Allah forgive you!"

Look at the fear of Allah in Hadhrat Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho)! He is so anxious to clear his accounts in this world that no sooner has a slightly unpleasant word been addressed by him to a person, than he regrets it and requests him to say that word back to him in retaliation. He is so particular in this that he threatens to have the retaliation done through the intervention of the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam). We are in the habit of saying offensive words to others, but we fear neither the retaliation nor the reckoning in the Hereafter.

BiLaaL   

^Sounds great. Thanks.

The following incidents from the life of Umar R.A. contain so many lessons for us. One of these lessons is to take account for our actions and repent not merely with words but by carrying out good deeds. The kindness and compassion with which Umar RA dealt with the poor lady (in the last incident quoted below) demonstrates the qualities which made him one of the greatest leaders the world has ever known.

Hadhrat 'Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) and the Fear of Allah.

Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) would often hold a straw in his hand and say:

"I wish I were a straw like this."

Sometimes he would say:

"I wish my mother had not given birth to me."

Once he was busy with some important work when a person came to him and, complaining about some petty grievance, requested for its redress. Hadhrat Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) laid a lash across his shoulders, saying: "When I sit for that purpose, you do not come to me but when I am engaged in other important work you come with your grievances to interrupt me." The person walked away. But Hadhrat 'Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) sent for him and, handing his whip over to him, said: "You now lash me to even the matter." He said: "I forgive you for the sake of Allah."

Hadhrat Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) went home, prayed a Salaat of two rakaats in repentance and upbraided himself saying: "0, Umar! You were low but Allah elevated you. You were wandering astray but Allah guided you. You were base but Allah ennobled you and gave you sovereignty over His people. Now one of them comes and asks you for redress of the wrong done to him, and you beat him? What answer have you to give before Allah?" He kept on chiding himself thus for a very long time.

Once Hadhrat Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) was going on his usual round towards Harrah (a suburb of Madinah) with his slave Aslam, when he saw a distant fire in the desert. He said: "There seems to be a camp. Perhaps, it is a caravan that could not enter the town due to night fall. Let's go and look after them and arrange for their protection during the night." When he reached there, he found a woman and some children. The children were crying. The woman had a pan of water over the fire. Hadhrat 'Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) greeted her with salaam and, with her permission, went near her.

Umar: "Why are these children crying?"

The Woman: "Because they are hungry."

Umar: "What is in the pan?"

The Woman: "Only water to soothe the children, so that they may go to sleep in the belief that food is being prepared for them. Ah! Allah will judge between Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) and me, on the Day of Judgement, for neglecting me in my distress. "

'Umar (weeping): "May Allah have mercy on you! How can Umar know of your distress?"

The Woman: "When he is our Amir, he must keep himself informed about us."

Hadhrat 'Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) returned to the town and straightway went to Baitul-Mal to fill a sack with flour, dates, fat and clothes, and also drew some money. When the sack was ready, he said to Aslam: "Now put this sack on my back, Aslam."

Aslam: "No please, Amir-ul-Mo'mineen! I shall carry this sack."

'Umar refused to listen to Aslam, even on his persistant requests to allow him to carry the sack, and

remarked: "What! Will you carry my load on the Day of Iudgement? I must carry this bag, for it is I who would be questioned (in the Hereafter) about this woman."

Aslam most reluctantly placed the bag on Umar's (Radhiyallaho anho) back, who carried it with a swift pace right to the woman's tent. Aslam followed at his heels. He put a little flour and some dates and fat in the pan and began to stir. He blew (with his mouth) into the fire to kindle it. Aslam says: "I saw the smoke passing through his thick beard."

After some time, the pottage was ready. He himself served it to the family. When they had eaten to their fill, he made over to them the little that was left for their next meal. The children were very happy after their meal and began to play about merrily. The woman felt very grateful and remarked: "May Allah reward you for your kindness! In fact you deserve to take the place of Khalifah instead of 'Umar."

Umar consoled her and said: "When you come to see the Khalifah, you will find me there."

He sat for a while at a place close by and kept on watching the children. He then returned to Madinah. On his way back, he said to Aslam:"Do you know why I sat there, Aslam? I had seen them weeping in distress; I liked to, see them laughing and happy for some time."

It is said that Hadhrat Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) while leading Fajr Salaat used to recite 'Kahf' , 'Taha' and other such Soorahs in his Salaat, and would weep so much that his crying could be heard way back to several rows. Once he was reciting Surah 'Yusuf' in Fajr. When he came to the verse:

"I only plead for my distress and anguish unto Allah," (Yusuf, 86)

He wept so much that he could not recite any further. In Tahajjud, he would sometimes fall to the ground and would get indisposed with excessive weeping.

Such was the fear of Allah in Hadhrat Umar(Radhiyallaho anho) whose name struck terror in the hearts of the mightiest monarchs of his time.Even today, the people are filled with awe when they read about him. Is there any person in power today who is prepared to show such kindness to the people in his charge?

BiLaaL   

Sympathy & Self-Sacrifice

The Sahabah, as a class, were an embodiment of righteousness. They attained a standard that is rather difficult to emulate in a modern society. We would be fortunate if we really attain even a partial resemblance to their character. Some of their qualities are peculiarly their own, and self sacrifice is one of these. Allah has made a mention of this in the Holy Qur'an in these words.

"They prefer others above themselves, even though poverty become their lot. (Surah Al Hashr, 9)."

Feeding the guest in darkness

A Sahabi came to the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) and complained of hunger and distress. Just then the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) had nothing in hand, or in his home to feed him. He asked the Sahabah: "Would anybody entertain him as a guest tonight on my behalf?"

One of the Ansaar said:

"0. Prophet of Allah. I will do that."

The Ansari took the person to his house and instructed his wife:

"Look here, this man is a guest of the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam). We will entertain him as best as we can, and won't spare anything in doing so,"

The wife replied:

"By Allah! I have got no food in the house except a very little-something just enough for the children." The Ansari said: "You lull the children to sleep without feeding them. while I sit with the guest over the meagre meal. When we start eating put out the lamp pretending to set it right, so that the guest may not become aware of my not sharing the meal with him."

The scheme worked out nicely, and the whole family, including the children, stayed hungry to enable the guest to eat to his fill. It was over this incident that Allah revealed the verse:

"They prefer others above themselves, even though poverty become their lot. (Surah Al Hashr, 9)."

There are quite a number of similar incidents about the Sahabah.

BiLaaL   

Salaat of a Few Eminent Sahabah:

Mujahid (Radhiyallaho anho), describing the Salaat of Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho), and that of Abdullah bin Zubair (Radhiyallaho anho) says:

"They stood in Salaat motionless like pieces of wood stuck in the ground."

'Ulama agree that Abdullah bin Zubair (Radhivallaho anho) learnt to say his Salaat from Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho), who in turn learnt it direct from the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallarn).

It is said about Abdullah bin Zubair (Radhiyallaho anho) that he remained in Sajdah for so long, and kept so motionless therein, that birdswould come and perch on his back. He would sometimes remain in Sajdah or Ruku' all night long. During an attack against him, a missile came and hit the wall of the musjid wherein he was saying his Salaat. A piece of masonry flew from the wall and passed in between his beard and throat. He neither cut short his. Salaat, nor was he the least perturbed. Once he was saying his Salaat while his son Hashim was sleeping near him. A snake fell from the ceiling and coiled round the child. The child woke up and shrieked, and the whole household gathered round him. They killed the snake after a great hue and cry. Ibne Zubair (Radhiyallaho anho), calm and quiet. remained engaged inhis Salaat all the while. When he had finished it, he said to his wife: "I heard some noise during my Salaat; what was that?"

His wife exclaimed:

"May Allah have mercy on you! The child's life was in danger, and you took least notice of it."

His answer was:

"Had I turned my attention to anything else, what would have remained of the Salaat?"

'Umar (Radhiyallaho anho) was stabbed at the close of his career, and this same wound caused his death. He bled profusely and remained unconscious for long intervals. But when he- was informed of the time of Salaat, he would perform it in that very condition, and say:

"There is no portion in Islam for the person who discards Salaat."

Uthman (Radhiyallaho anho) would remain in Salaat all night long, finishing the whole of the Qur'an in one rakaat.

It is reported about Hadhrat Ali (Radhiyallaho anho) that he would turn pale and tremble at the time of Salaat. Somebody asked him the reason, and he said:

"It is the time to discharge that trust which Allah offered to the Heavens and the Earth and the hills, but they shrank from bearing it, and I have assumed it." Somebody asked Khalaf-bin-Ayub: "Do not the flies annoy you in your Salaat?"

His answer was:

"Even the sinful persons patiently bear the lashes of the government, to boast of their endurance afterwards. Why should I be made to skip about by mere flies when standing in the presence of my Lord?"

Muslim bin Yasaar when he stood up for Salaat, said to members of his family: "You may keep on talking, I shall not be knowing what you talk."

Somebody asked Haatim Asam as to how did he say his Salaat. He replied:

"When the time for Salaat comes, I perform my Wudhu and go to the place where I have to say my Salaat. I sit down for some time, till all the parts of my body are relaxed. Then I stand up for Salaat, visualising the Ka'bah in front of me, imagining my feet upon the Bridge of Siraat, with Paradise to my right, and Hell to my left, and Izraa-eel close behind me, and thinking that it may be my last Salaat. Then I say my Salaat with full sincerity and devotion. And I finish my Salaat between fear and hope about its acceptance.

BiLaaL   

Ali (Radhiyallaho anho] passes by a grave:

Kumail (Radhiyallaho anho) says:

"I was with Ali (Radhiyallaho anho) once on a journey, when he reached an uninhabited place; he approached a grave and said: '0 you dwellers of the graves! 0 you who live amongst ruins! 0 you who live in the wilderness and solitude! How fare you in the other world? How has it gone with you there?' He continued: 'The news from our side is that all you did leave of the wealth and riches here has long been distributed; your children are orphans; your widows have long since remarried. Now let us hear about you.' He then turned to me: '0 Kumail! If they could speak, they would have informed us that the best provision for the Hereafter is Taqwa.' Tears swelled out of his eyes, as he added: '0 Kumail! The grave is a container of the deeds; but one realizes it only after death."

Our good or bad actions are stored up in our graves. It is said in a Hadith that every person meets his good deeds in the grave in the person of an agreeable companion who befriends and consoles him there. But his wicked deeds assume hideous shapes emitting bad smells, which add to his misery.

In another Hadith it is said:

"Three things accompany a person to his grave viz: His wealth (as was the prevalent custom among the Arabs of the time), his relatives, and his deeds. His wealth and his relatives turn back after his burial, but his actions go in and stay with him in the grave."

Once the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) asked the Sahabah: "Do you know in what relation your relatives, your wealth and your deeds stand to you?" The Sahabah expressed their desire to know about it. He replied:

"It can be likened to a person having three brothers. When he is about to die he calls one of his brothers to him, and asks him: 'Brother! You know what plight is mine? What help can you render me at this juncture?' That brother replies: I shall call the doctor to you, to nurse you and attend upon you. And when you are dead, I shall bathe you, enshroud you, and carry you to the grave. Then I shall pray for you after you are buried. This brother is his kith and kin.

He puts the same question to the second brother who delivers himself like this: 'I shall remain with you as long as you are alive. No sooner you are dead than I shall betake myself to someone else.' This brother is his wordly wealth.

He then questions the last brother in the same strain, who responds: 'I shall not forsake you even in your grave; and I shall accompany you into that place of utter solitude. When your deeds are weighed in the balance, I shall forthwith lend my weight to the scale of your good deeds and weigh it down.' This brother is the personification of his good deeds.

Now, tell me, which of the brothers you regard to be the most useful to the person?' The Sahabah replied: '0, Prophet of Allah! The last brother is really the most useful to him. There is no doubt about it. The other two brothers were of no avail."

BiLaaL   

Sahabah dying thirsty for others

Abu-jahm bin-Huzaifah(Radhiyallaho anho) narrates:

"During the battle of Yarmuk, I went out in search of my cousin, who was in the forefront of the fight. I also took some water with me for him. I found him in the very thick of battle in the last throes of death. I advanced to help him with the little water I had. But, soon, another sorely wounded soldier beside him gave a groan, and my cousin averted his face, and beckoned me to take the water to that person first. I went to this other person with the water. He turned out to be Hishaam bin Abil Aas (Radhiyallaho anho). But I had hardly reached him, when there was heard the groan of yet another person lying not very far off. Hisham (Radhiyallaho anho) too motioned me in his direction. Alas, before I could approach him, he had breathed his last. I made all haste back to Hishaam and found him dead as well. Thereupon, I hurried as fast as I could to my cousin, and. lo! in the meantime he had also joined the other two.

Many an incident of such self-denial and heroic sacrifice is recorded in the books of Hadith. This is the last word in self-sacrifice, that each dying person should forego slaking his own thirst in favour of his other needy brother. May Allah bless their souls with His choicest favours for their sacrifice for others even at the time of death, when a person has seldom the sense to make a choice.

BiLaaL   

Rasulullaah SCW asks Mu'aadh R.A. how he Felt and his Reply

Anas bin Maalik R.A. narrates that when Mu'aadh bin Jabal R.A. arrived one day, Rasulullaah SCW asked him, "How do you feel this morning, 0 Mu'aadh?" Mu'aadh R.A. replied, "I feel like a true believer in Allaah." "Every statement requires substantiation," Rasulullaah SCW told him, "so how do you substantiate your statement?"

"0 Nabi of Allaah!" Mu'aadh R.A. replied, "Every morning I feel that I will not see the evening and every evening I feel that I will never see the morning. Every time I take a step, I feel like I shall not be following it up with another and it is as if I can actually see every nation kneeling (on the Day of Qiyaamah), being called to their records of deeds with their Ambiyaa and the idols they worshipped. It is also as if I can actually see the punishment of the people of Jahannam and the rewards of the people of Jannah." Rasulullaah SCW commended him saying, "Youhave understood (the reality of Imaan) so now remain steadfast."

Walaal Bilaal,

Jazaakalaahu canaa kheyra Yaa-akhy,

Silsiladan aad Saxaabada kaga hadleysid waa cashar muhiim ah oo anagoo idil inaan ku cibro qaadano mudan. Allah ha inaga yeelo kuwii fahma dhibaatada iyo samirka Saxaabada ay u soo mareen ineey diinkaan nasoo gaarsiiyaan.

Waa amaano aad u culus oo qof walboo Muslim ah looga baahan yahay inuu ilaaliyo---waa inaan ka ilaalinaa kuwa sida qaladka diinkan u fahmey ee raba ineey meel uga dhacaan.

Alloow naga dhig kuwa diinka fahma oo ku dhaqma.

BiLaaL   

Wa iyyakum Br. Salahudin iyo Br. Abu-Wehliye. Ilaahay hanaga dhigo kuwii ku waano qaato nolosha suuban ee Saxaabada Nabigeena SCW.

The Incident of the Love a Sahabi Expressed for Rasulullaah SCW and the verse Revealed in this Regard

Aa'isha R.A. narrates that a man came to Rasulullaah SCW and said, "0 Rasulullaah SCW I love you more than my own self and more than my children. When I am in my house and think of you, I have no peace until I come to see you. Now that I think of my death and yours, I realise that you will be elevated amongst those occupying the highest positions in Jannah and I fear that I will never get to see you when I get to Jannah. Rasulullaah SCW gave no reply until Jibra'eel (Alaihissalam) came with the revelation of the verse:

4_69.png

Those who obey Allaah and the Rasool will be (in the Aakhira) with those Ambiyaa, "Siddeeqeen", martyrs and righteous ones on whom Allaah has bestowed His bounties. These are indeed the best of companions. {Surah Nisaa, verse 69}

Another narration from Abdullaah bin Abbaas R.A states that a man once approached Rasulullaah SCW saying, "0 Rasulullaah SCW I love you so much that whenever I think of you, I feel that I would die if I do not come to see you. It now occurs to me that I would be on a level lower than yours when I enter Jannah (and will be unable to see you). This grieves me terribly and I therefore wish to be on the samelevel as you." Rasulullaah SCW gave no reply until Allaah SWT revealed the verse:

Those who obey Allaah and the Rasool will be (jn the Aakhira) with those Ambiyaa, "Siddeeqeen", martyrs and righteous ones on whom Allaah has bestowed His bounties. These are indeed the best of companions. {Surah Nisaa, verse 69}

Rasulullaah SCW then called for the Sahabi and recited the verse to him.