Sign in to follow this  
metta

Mogadishu growing at a rate of at least 5% per year

metta   

6a00d8341c630a53ef0168e9bdd4bf970c-pi

This is kind of an old finding but according to the Los Angeles Times, Xamar is experiencing a population growth rate of at least 5% per year. It could be more than 5% since the LA Times wasn't exact on the number.

Mogadishu's population now is said to be between 2 million and 3 million people. Let us assume that the city is 2.5 million.

With this type of growth rate, we are looking at a Mogadishu with 4 million inhabitants in 10 years. This is just too quick and too big of a growth in such a short time.

Expect numerous problems and issues to arise unless the municipal government and the local administration doesn't act.

1) Housing shortages, rise in real estate prices

2) Urban planning. Will Xamar become like the other Somali cities where houses and businesses are not aligned properly?

3) Lack of educational facilities.

4) Lack of medical facilities.

5) A rise in the cost of living in Mogadishu. I am sure the "speculative" prices in Xamar will not go down anytime soon.

The local government must act now and have a plan to make sure they can control this growing rate.

With this growth, Xamar looks like it will be among the top 5 biggest cities in Africa by 2025.

The question is: Can Xamar handle it?

Haatu   

What Xamar will need to introduce is public transport and quick. If not, it will become another smog-filled, grid-locked polluted city. When the money starts rolling in, they should really consider BRTs and light-rail projects as well as a commuter rail to Afgooye and Balcad. The last one will really be helpful because it will mean that workers won't necessarily have to,live in Xamar with its expensive prices but can live in Afgooye/Balcad and commute to work every morning.

NGONGE   

Surely the growth was connected with birth rates and the like. It doesn't take into account the numbers of those returning or moving to the city in the coming months and years (or does it?).

Mooge   

mogadishu is 40% vacant and destroyed. growth is from refugees coming from rural areas and camping at the edges of the city to find NGO help. when i visited recently i could believe what i saw.

Marksman   

I think the city can handle it with urban planners working together with private companies.

@ NGONGE I don't think the person that wrote the article included the diaspora coming back.

@ Mooge Of course most of Mogadishu is destroyed and needs to be rebuilt. I do think these IDP's have to return where they're from though and be relocated.

@ Haatu I really like the idea if BRT. Perhaps in about 10 years it can be introduced, because I do not see Mogadishu having a subway ever. That is why BRT can be a good substitute, instead of those dangerous small motatu's.

Look at what the Brazilians have done

Haatu   

Marksman, I didn't say Mog should have a subway. I said light-rail like the DLR in London which runs overground on raised platforms and a commuter line between Xamar and Balcad/Afgooye which also runs overground. Also, you never know, one day there might be a need for subway if the urban sprawl continues.

Nice vid. That city is every urban planners dream.